mMar-Kel70 Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good evening,

I just finished getting one mMar-Kel70 roughed together for a listen. It's built with the recommended 5/8" baltic birch plywood and UltraTouch lined. I'll get the other side together tomorrow and perhaps the trimming as well. I really need a larger chamfer bit though, I think a 3/4" one should see me through most projects.

The -ken enclosures are challenging to build but then results are great. Hopefully this set will be a stepping stone to building a trapezoidal set later this year.

The amp in the last photo is a Helder Hifi TA2020 MKII. Seems to be a good match for the EL70. I am going to get it into an enclosure soon as well.

Kyle

Attachments

• IMG_7490.JPG
    IMG_7490.JPG
    440.9 KB · Views: 538
  • IMG_7492.JPG
    IMG_7492.JPG
    395.3 KB · Views: 499
  • IMG_7494.JPG
    IMG_7494.JPG
    457.9 KB · Views: 494
  • IMG_7495.JPG
    IMG_7495.JPG
    345.1 KB · Views: 494
  • IMG_7497.JPG
    IMG_7497.JPG
    309 KB · Views: 483
Good evening,

I just finished getting one mMar-Kel70 roughed together for a listen. It's built with the recommended 5/8" baltic birch plywood and UltraTouch lined. I'll get the other side together tomorrow and perhaps the trimming as well. I really need a larger chamfer bit though, I think a 3/4" one should see me through most projects.

The -ken enclosures are challenging to build but then results are great. Hopefully this set will be a stepping stone to building a trapezoidal set later this year.

The amp in the last photo is a Helder Hifi TA2020 MKII. Seems to be a good match for the EL70. I am going to get it into an enclosure soon as well.

Kyle

looks vaguely familiar

enjoy

Can you say how you made the holes in the baffle (and the groove to have the driver flush with the baffle)? Why are the wooden sticks poking out of the vent?

The hole in the baffle, I assume you mean the speaker opening, was cut with a router. I have a small jasper jig for guiding the cut. For the EL70 I cut a 4 7/8" by ~1/4 deep inset and a 4" hole. The back of the 4" cut has a 45deg. bevel.

The wooden sticks are the vent spacers that I have yet to trim off! They will be flush with the baffle when complete. The plan for this speaker can be found at the Planet 10 HiFi site.

KM

Can you say how you made the holes in the baffle (and the groove to have the driver flush with the baffle)? Why are the wooden sticks poking out of the vent?

lemme guess:
lotsa ways to cut the rebated driver cut-out - if you don't have access to a CNC, either a home made or Jasper circle jig for router would be the most likely

the port spacers are sticking out 'cause they simply weren't cut off yet, and could be just as easy to trim flush after front panel glued in place

edit - that'll teach me to talk to Dave on the phone while typing a post

nice work Kyle

pps - the bevel to rear side of cut-out is particularly important with drivers of this size

Last edited:
;-) Thanks Chris!

Getting a nice chamfer bit for cutting the back side of the speaker opening as well as cutting bevels on sides of the baffle is a great investment. Once the hole is cut running the chamfer bit around with the guiding bearing is dead easy.

As a general question: Is there any downside or concern with using a large chamfer bit for putting a bevel on the baffle edge? Something like 1-1/4"? Am I better off doing that with my table saw?

KM

Last edited:
When I cut the sides from the stock, I cut with a 45 deg angle to end up with two rows of stock wide enough for the sides, and then straight cut to the correct depth and length. Then I just have to knock off the front corners of the top and bottom pieces.

After the fact I was wondering about that too... table saw with a finished box scared the bejebus out of me.

;-) Thanks Chris!

Getting a nice chamfer bit for cutting the back side of the speaker opening as well as cutting bevels on sides of the baffle is a great investment. Once the hole is cut running the chamfer bit around with the guiding bearing is dead easy.

As a general question: Is there any downside or concern with using a large chamfer bit for putting a bevel on the baffle edge? Something like 1-1/4"? Am I better off doing that with my table saw?

KM

aside from the cost of big a$$ router bit (good quality bit could easily be $100 - I have a couple bevels and round-overs this size) and the advisability of running on router table, no

cutting smaller boxes like this on table saw is pretty simple - run with the blade tilted away from rip fence (on the left side for many saws), and the waste cut can't get pinched and kicked back like it can with cutting "into" the fence - fun to watch when that happens - but wear a kevlar vest

it might take a couple of passes the get the width/height of cut just right, but after than likely less than one minute to cut all four edges on a pair of boxes this size

The saw I use cuts very cleanly. I may use it to do the baffle chamfer. I'll post my results/injuries when I do.

KM

got your Form 7 handy? :eek:

It's really not that tough a job on boxes this size - just take a few test cuts first to establish the degree of exposure you like, then run all 4 sides at a nice slow feed rate

The whole process should take less than 5 minutes.

Remember, tile the blade away from the fence and the off cut won't kick back

I'm guessing Form 7 covers self-inflicted dismemberment? ;-)

Understood. I might glue some scrap for a test run to see if I like the results. Thanks Chris!

KM

WCB - Employer's Report of Injury or Occupational Exposure

actually if fully dismembered, you might need help with the two page form, and don't even think about filling this one out online

(hmm, can I fill one out for standing downwind of Yosu after his refried beans and cottage cheese lunch?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.