mMar-Kel70 Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I put the second speaker together last night and had a listen for an hour or so. I am very happy with them. I have heard the EL70 in this enclosure several times and so far my build is living up to my expectations!

I can't say enough good things about the EL70 and Planet 10's box designs. Together they have made it very easy for me to have great sound in my home. Bob and Dave have been very supportive and I really appreciate what they put out in the community for people like me to build off of.

I'll post some more pics when I have them trimmed up.

KM

I used some 3/4" maple ply that i had-maintained the original inside specs. Built the cabs first and added the internal ports after. Table saw was used, used plywood spacers for 2/9/16" port lengths to keep the port spacing even and straight and them glue clamped the insde port side to the cab. 1/1/8" spacing maintained at the entry point at the back wall.

I might glue some scrap together for a test cut on the table saw. It makes me nervous to send a nearly complete box through the saw. KM

Obviously you do need to take your time with it, but it can be done.

Here are some pics of the Fonkensteen's I built which I believe are a bit bigger than the Mar-kel. I did these in multiple passes with an 80T blade, previously I cut the bevels on a pair of Fonken-prime's the same way...

Obviously you do need to take your time with it, but it can be done.

Here are some pics of the Fonkensteen's I built which I believe are a bit bigger than the Mar-kel. I did these in multiple passes with an 80T blade, previously I cut the bevels on a pair of Fonken-prime's the same way...

Excellent workmanship.

What method did you use to make the irregular flush mount for the 120?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I know the Mar-Kel70 is a proven design; but i am curious how the width of the front baffle effects the imaging? because of the 45 deg.angle cuts the front is fairly narrow. No doubt wider baffles have been tried. Thank-you!:)

Narrow baffle withbig champhers give a lower diffraction signature. The CGR version has a wider baffle (if you mount the driver of the wide side)

dave

I know the Mar-Kel70 is a proven design; but i am curious how the width of the front baffle effects the imaging? because of the 45 deg.angle cuts the front is fairly narrow. No doubt wider baffles have been tried. Thank-you!:)

while not specifically restricted to the EL70, we've tried a succession of wide/shallow enclosures over the years (most recently with the EL166/FF85K MTM) , and while they can definitely add what our friends at SH used to call "balls" (due no doubt in part to reduction of baffle step loss) and width of soundstage, the narrower baffles tend to excel at more precise imaging and resolution of depth

tall double mouth horns/manifolds such as Spawn family etc function effectively as MTMs due to the LP filtering of driver coupling chamber (in a Back Loaded enclosure of any type, the room is the "compression" chamber ), and can deliver tremendous image scale while retaining what I'd describe as precise location specificity, albeit at the expense of build complexity and required listening distance

and interesting compromise I've found quite workable (for my situation at least) are variations on narrow bipoles - most notable something like the MicroTowers

Hey Doggy,

I am listening to the BBC 3 overnight stream and really digging the mMar with my Helder TA2020 amp. So much joy for so little cash. I am going to try and build a new trapezoidal enclosure for the EL70s later in the spring/summer. The EL70 has so much more to give that it's a shame to have them cooped up in the mMar.

KM

Excellent workmanship.

What method did you use to make the irregular flush mount for the 120?

Thanks for the compliment!

As far as the irregular driver cut out goes, I used the technique outlined on an exquisiteaudio.ca page, which unfortunately doesn't appear to be online anymore. Basically it involves making two templates with a router (1/4" straight bit), you run the router around the perimeter of the driver to create the first template. Then run the router around the inside of the first template to create the second. Then use the 1/4" bit and a 3/4" bushing with the second template to cut the actual recesses. A bit of a PITA, but it does work. I do have the web page saved if you are really interested.

By: KyleinCowichan
The EL70 has so much more to give that it's a shame to have them cooped up in the mMar

I got the EL70 from CSS as Planet10 lnformed me about,i went the low cost way:). Thanks goes to Dave and ChrisB for their suport in my info. search. The front bevels are 30 deg., for what reason i ran out of faceplate space for the bevel-maybe i cut some material a little short for trimming. It is a solid box, using the 3/4" maple. Just playing one speaker now as the faceplate glue is drying on the 2nd unit. The EL70 is very musical and articulate.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.