Fostex FE103EN transmission line

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Maximum power is almost irrelivant. It's probably something like 5-10 watts, but that doesn't mean it won't kick you in the chest and pop your ears. 1 watt of actual acoustic energy is enough to blow your ear drums. I think what you really want to know is how loud will it play. It's tough to say. The above comment makes it sound a bit worse than it really is. I've gotten excellent bass from Fostex FE206Es which aren't much bigger than the103s. A few things to consider; how big is your bedroom? Would you be better served with large towers or smaller ones and a sub? How complex of a cabinet are you willing to make?
I imagine the high mounted mouth was for two reasons. One being that's where the end of the line ended up being, and two to minimize imaging problem associated with mid frequencies coming out of the mouth. Damping materials (not "dampening") greatly reduce midrange through the mouth but also reduce bass.

well i sort of jumped the gun by building the towers in the video, I've only built 1 enclosure so might test the one in my room to see how it goes before building the next one, i am hoping on dumb luck that they will sound like they do in the video

When you say got excellent bass from an Fe126E, how low, and in what type of enclosure? And how big was the enclosure (volume)?
Was it capable of the deep sound from the original video?
I don't have any experience with any Fostex, it may be easy to do it (the deep sound), but the reasons are not clear, it's too low for any driver especially for one with such a low Qts.

Sorry I meant FE126E.

When you say got excellent bass from an Fe126E, how low, and in what type of enclosure?

let me surmise that if unsupported by woofers, it would likely be some type of BL horn - manifold, or even as simple as a BIB folded Voigt pipe.

there are many styles

And how big was the enclosure (volume)?
if a BLH, the typical concept of "enclosure volume" is not quite as applicable as path-length and overall dimensions

Was it capable of the deep sound from the original video?
I don't have any experience with any Fostex, it may be easy to do it (the deep sound), but the reasons are not clear, it's too low for any driver especially for one with such a low Qts.
I'd opine it's borderline / subjective whether the FE126 would deliver sufficient impact / weight in the low frequencies in any of the "horn family" for your particular needs, but would be more confident that the FE103E could not.

chisb you may have missed some of the posts in the thread, we are trying to establish the recipe for a TL with a 4 inch fullranger (in this case the Fe103en) that will play down to the 41-48 Hz region and make it in a convincing manner, like in the video from the original first post (My Other Listening Room - YouTube).
Jameslc will make an attempt based on estimations of the sizes done by me studying the video. I have made some experimentation with different enclosures and drivers but none had enough bass for all sorts of reasons; you need a suitable driver that can do the job and you need to use every advantage you can - larger enclosure, best placement for room gain, and I tend to believe that the mouth should be closer to the floor to gain a little more spl. The lowers the Fs the better, the larger the Xmax the better.
My concern with the volume was related to the overall size of the enclosure considering that it's for a smaller room (just trying to keep it small), and to compare with the original ~23liter estimation.

Low 40s at high SPLs seems a bit ambitious. I think I was probably getting high 40s to low 50s in the bedroom when I moved them to the living room I could still get that low at moderate volume but as a rocker and a movie buff moderate volume doesn't cut it, so a sub was needed. In a moderate sized horn cabinet (frugelhorn etc) acoustic music can sound very good and the mid bass doesn't seem lacking but nothing low and thunderous.
Oh and btw low qts is a good thing when it comes to bass horns, high qts means a larger cabinet, and FS has almost no effect on bandwidth. The most important number to look at for getting low bass in a horn or TL is xmax.

Finally got my FE103en today and i started to cut the hole for it to put in my finished transmission line and all i can say is wow! the bass in this enclosure is great (for a little driver anyway) but the only thing that is a bit annoying is it misses out some pieces of music but it doesn't seem to be a particular sound for example it would the piano in one piece and a bit of a bass guitar in another i don't know it might just be me :) or because i am only running 1 speaker on stereo

Attachments

• 03042012032.jpg
    03042012032.jpg
    374 KB · Views: 792
Last edited:
WOW! You actually build it!
What's the tuning frequency, internal volume, height of the driver?
What was your first impression, the first few tens of seconds?
Are you satisfied with the bass output in strength and depth?

Oh and by the way! run the original audio from the video and compare it with headphones of subwoofer in the same room to see if something is missing.

For the other thing - change the stereo channel and play the song again to see if that was the problem. Secondly the frequency response should be full of peaks and nulls, most problematic should be the null between 150-200 hz, predicted by simulations (any straight TL with no driver offset has one). Can you hear it?

Finally got my FE103en today and i started to cut the hole for it to put in my finished transmission line and all i can say is wow! the bass in this enclosure is great (for a little driver anyway) but the only thing that is a bit annoying is it misses out some pieces of music but it doesn't seem to be a particular sound for example it would the piano in one piece and a bit of a bass guitar in another i don't know it might just be me :) or because i am only running 1 speaker on stereo

yup, likely that's it - does the amp have a mono switch?

and pardon my skepticism, but I still think clean "bass" any deeper than low 50s with a single of this driver is a bit of a pipe dream

WOW! You actually build it!
What's the tuning frequency, internal volume, height of the driver?
What was your first impression, the first few tens of seconds?
Are you satisfied with the bass output in strength and depth?

Oh and by the way! run the original audio from the video and compare it with headphones of subwoofer in the same room to see if something is missing.

For the other thing - change the stereo channel and play the song again to see if that was the problem. Secondly the frequency response should be full of peaks and nulls, most problematic should be the null between 150-200 hz, predicted by simulations (any straight TL with no driver offset has one). Can you hear it?

the tunning freq is what you provided before so 40 ish hertz and about 20 litres and about 1 meter, my first impression was that it does very well for a full range driver but i did have to turn up the bass knob on the denon to get any decent about of bass out of it but it is a very capable set up for a bedroom it seems to run well and i haven't run the video yet but will do tonight

james

What about using a parametric eq (eq'ing down) to boost the bass? Does that have the same x-max problem?

I kinda think so - the driver's drive-train / compliance doesn't know / care about EQ - only that its physical excursion limit has been reached. The FE103En is rated at Fs of 83Hz and X-max .6mm. I think the best bet at getting any reasonable level of bass from a single of these per side would be some type of BLH - but not Fostex's design - those I've heard - the Buschorn Mk I would be my first guess.

OTOH, if budget could be stretched to permit 2 per side, the cute little Bert Doppenberg folded Voigt Pipe that I posted earlier is quiet an eye opener. This was among my first exposure to dinky little FR drivers over 10 years ago, and we ended up build quite a few pairs, with combinations of RS 40-1197, and vintage Fosters - shown here when we were experimenting with cheap 'n nasty tweeters (the older drivers particularly were a little "shy" up there)

Attachments

• alnico BP1.JPG
    alnico BP1.JPG
    332.4 KB · Views: 702
  • alnico BP2.JPG
    alnico BP2.JPG
    337.1 KB · Views: 636
  • FE103A.jpg
    FE103A.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 622
i think that i have to turn up the bass on the amp because i have only got 1 enclosure built but from my experience speaker sound ten times better with 2 enclosures then one

This is totally true. In all three the speaker pairs I've built when I finished the first one and tried it out I was somewhat disappointed but as soon as I had them both running I was super impressed. I think this is mostly because of the soundstage becoming an actual soundstage and also that each speaker is doing about half as much work ie less distortion and more headroom.

Btw I'm pretty impressed at how fast you built that haha. Thats how its done, less debate and more sawdust :D

yeah well i had my three ways which i wanted to re do so pulled one box apart and get stuck in and watch the sawdust go everywhere. :) I built that box in a weekend but the glue was only setting for half hour so it was very delicate but pulled it off still got a way to go with it ie putty up the holes were i was clamping it and make the edges flush

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.