Fostex FE103EN transmission line - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th March 2012, 12:52 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Even so, you might get an idea of the "personality" of the enclosure... actually it's a tone coloration that is unique to every enclosure, related to all sorts of things (size, material, height of speaker, shape etc.).

I'm very curious how it turns out, I my self have been on a trip for a few month to get that sound (from the video) in my room, but since my first attempt has failed, I'm much more reluctant to order drivers and see how they sound. The Fostex is a little expensive for me, but if I would know it sounds like that in my room, I would go for it, for now I'm experimenting with enclosures and any driver I can find to see what makes one sound like that. It might be the x max, but I'm also interested in the quality of the tonal balance... that's where I got it wrong in my fist try.
Old 30th March 2012, 05:51 PM   #12
brsanko is offline brsanko  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to brsanko
I would imagine that the distance from the cone to the magnet would only create reflections in the bandwidth eminating mostly from the dust cap so would not really have much of an effect that way.(correct me if I'm wrong) The reflections off the back of the cabinets are much more significant.
Old 30th March 2012, 05:53 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Fostex drivers always have fantastic tonal quality, in my experience.
Old 30th March 2012, 06:06 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I don't know how important are the reflections from the back of the cabinet, if you want the best of the best when it comes to enclosures I assume you would want to avoid reflections from the wall in the back of the cabinet by one design feature or another.

If you have some experience with Fostex drivers you might want to take a look a the video in the original post from this thread and share your opinion in regards to the 4 incher going as low as 49 hz, from my incomplete analysis of the recording (in the sense that it might have gone even lower). The purpose of the thread is how can you get that kind of low response/deep sound from the Fostex Fe103En.
Old 30th March 2012, 09:57 PM   #15
Jameslc is offline Jameslc  Australia
diyAudio Member

after some analysis of the video i go agree that it goes down to 40 41 hertz but i thought i would show my design in sketch up which i should of posted it earlier
Attached Images
File Type: png Fostex FE103EN Transmission line.png (56.8 KB, 764 views)

Last edited by Jameslc; 30th March 2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 30th March 2012, 10:08 PM   #16
chrisb is online now chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

not a T-line, but works like a charm with 2 drivers per side

BD-Pipes

Click the image to open in full size.

and
Greg M's folded ML Voigt for single
diyAudio Full Range Reference Project

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by chrisb; 30th March 2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old 31st March 2012, 08:10 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I just watched the video. The drivers may play that low in the cabinet but not very loudly. It looks like he is in a small bedroom and it may work well for that purpose, but I would be very wary of blowing the drivers trying to play too loud, and in a normal sized living room you would lose that bass and tuning it that low would limit the voulme of the speaker over all. This design is good for a small room or near field monitors, but for a mid sized to large room these drivers work best tuned to 70hz or above and augmented with a subwoofer. At least that's what my experience and the specs of the drivers would indicate.
Old 1st April 2012, 10:22 AM   #18
Jameslc is offline Jameslc  Australia
diyAudio Member

well it sound like it will work very well with my small bedroom but what would be the maximum power would you think they would take in the transmission line from the video?
Old 1st April 2012, 11:17 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Default some thoughts

Here is the way I presume it was done by hexibase (he's name is Pete in reality): you take conventional alignment theory and add a few more variables such as driver placement in room, room size(s), windows, doors, and the same for the mouth of the TL and make some king of an impedance match between all sound sources and portions of the surrounding environment that are of interest, such as listening position, room in general. In other words he chose the lowest tuning possible for the given acoustic system (driver, enclosure, room), not arbitrarily but by mathematical means, something that you cannot reproduce just by copying the architecture of the enclosure and/or the dimensions; the real question that bothers you or I is how much tolerance you have before you have a faulty design (bad coupling). The truth is that you can probably replicate the effect without the secret formula, as long as you have the time/energy to experiment with what works and what doesnít in your listening room.
Iím really curios why he chose to place the mouth so far from the floor and so close to the driver.
By the way, the lowest tuning generally used for a TL is 0.707 Fs, and in the case of Fostex Fe103En that would be 58.6 hz (Fs=83hz); tuning at about 45hz would mean to tune almost an octave lower that Fs.

I would not be surprised to find out that he placed the microphone near the wall where bass is stronger.
Old 2nd April 2012, 12:54 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Maximum power is almost irrelivant. It's probably something like 5-10 watts, but that doesn't mean it won't kick you in the chest and pop your ears. 1 watt of actual acoustic energy is enough to blow your ear drums. I think what you really want to know is how loud will it play. It's tough to say. The above comment makes it sound a bit worse than it really is. I've gotten excellent bass from Fostex FE206Es which aren't much bigger than the103s. A few things to consider; how big is your bedroom? Would you be better served with large towers or smaller ones and a sub? How complex of a cabinet are you willing to make?
I imagine the high mounted mouth was for two reasons. One being that's where the end of the line ended up being, and two to minimize imaging problem associated with mid frequencies coming out of the mouth. Damping materials (not "dampening") greatly reduce midrange through the mouth but also reduce bass.

Hide this!Advertise here!