Cabinet for bass with 10" Audio Nirvana - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th March 2012, 04:05 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Cabinet for bass with 10" Audio Nirvana

I am looking for a cabinet design or type that would give the lowest bass using an Audio Nirvana cast 10" driver. I am open to type and do not have any problem building something large. I have a wood shop and wood working machinery, along with access to CNC routing. I have built many speakers and some very large, but have no experience with buildig something for a full range driver.

I am also open to using a different driver or larger driver. So recommendations for something to maximize bass is welcomed.
Old 16th March 2012, 05:31 PM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardsweb View Post
I am looking for a cabinet design or type that would give the lowest bass using an Audio Nirvana cast 10" driver. I am open to type and do not have any problem building something large. I have a wood shop and wood working machinery, along with access to CNC routing. I have built many speakers and some very large, but have no experience with buildig something for a full range driver.

I am also open to using a different driver or larger driver. So recommendations for something to maximize bass is welcomed.

Don't be modest re your fabrication skills, some of us have already seen your work, and are fully aware that size is not likely a constraint ( well except maybe for a Kleinhorn ) .

DO be prepared for some interesting advice re the Audio Nirvana drivers - do you have them in hand or committed?
Old 16th March 2012, 06:19 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Don't be modest re your fabrication skills, some of us have already seen your work, and are fully aware that size is not likely a constraint ( well except maybe for a Kleinhorn ) .

DO be prepared for some interesting advice re the Audio Nirvana drivers - do you have them in hand or committed?
I have not purchased anything yet. The Audio Nirvana drivers look interesting to me and I heard some smaller ones in a Voight horn the other day. I like the mids, the simplicity of build but want more bass. \

So I am open to any suggestion, as long as it stays in the full range family.
Old 16th March 2012, 06:26 PM   #4
Octavia is offline Octavia  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm no expert but the Metronome looks pretty good for the AN10. The design is intended for relatively near wall placement and listening distance sweet spot of 8-10 feet. From what I have heard the holey braces are pretty important if you opt for building these, along with the baffle step correction circuit.

Another design that looks really good as well as an easier build is here Nirvana

I envy you having a a wood shop! Have fun.
Old 16th March 2012, 06:44 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have not purchased anything yet. The Audio Nirvana drivers look interesting to me and I heard some smaller ones in a Voight horn the other day. I like the mids, the simplicity of build but want more bass. \

So I am open to any suggestion, as long as it stays in the full range family.

what amp(s) will be used?

lemme guess, some kinda SE DHT?
Old 16th March 2012, 06:59 PM   #6
hm is offline hm  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default So I am open to any suggestion, as long as it stays in the full range family.

Hello,
i would prefer the 8" driver size
i made a few double horn for more bass,
less sweet spot, no bass resonanz,
98 dB 1W 1m, measurements, feedback, plan overview.

RDH20, Saxophon, Posaune XL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sax v. B.web jpg.jpg (100.8 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg posaune XL ANS8 TK.jpg (40.1 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg rdhb200web.jpg (18.7 KB, 172 views)
Old 16th March 2012, 07:01 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
what amp(s) will be used?

lemme guess, some kinda SE DHT?
I have several to choose from here. I have a McIntosh MC240, Final Labs EL34, Shanling SP-80 running 6CA7, a DIY stereo 2A3, a 6DN7 integrated and my latest DIY custom based on a Dynaco ST70. I think the 6DN7 at 1 1/2 watts per channel would be a little thin on bass and even the 2A3 a little light. The other tube amps are in the 30 watts per channel range. I haven't really considered any of my solid state or chip amps.
Old 16th March 2012, 07:11 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have several to choose from here. I have a McIntosh MC240, Final Labs EL34, Shanling SP-80 running 6CA7, a DIY stereo 2A3, a 6DN7 integrated and my latest DIY custom based on a Dynaco ST70. I think the 6DN7 at 1 1/2 watts per channel would be a little thin on bass and even the 2A3 a little light. The other tube amps are in the 30 watts per channel range. I haven't really considered any of my solid state or chip amps.

so that's not gonna be a limiting factor
Old 16th March 2012, 07:39 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hm View Post
Hello,
i would prefer the 8" driver size
i made a few double horn for more bass,
less sweet spot, no bass resonanz,
98 dB 1W 1m, measurements, feedback, plan overview.

RDH20, Saxophon, Posaune XL
I like the looks of the RDH20 (something different) but does it require dual drivers?
Old 16th March 2012, 07:43 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I have been looking around planet10 and frugal-horn. What do you think the curvy chang or MK3. I like the looks of both.

Hide this!Advertise here!