Cabinet for bass with 10" Audio Nirvana

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking for a cabinet design or type that would give the lowest bass using an Audio Nirvana cast 10" driver. I am open to type and do not have any problem building something large. I have a wood shop and wood working machinery, along with access to CNC routing. I have built many speakers and some very large, but have no experience with buildig something for a full range driver.

I am also open to using a different driver or larger driver. So recommendations for something to maximize bass is welcomed.

I am looking for a cabinet design or type that would give the lowest bass using an Audio Nirvana cast 10" driver. I am open to type and do not have any problem building something large. I have a wood shop and wood working machinery, along with access to CNC routing. I have built many speakers and some very large, but have no experience with buildig something for a full range driver.

I am also open to using a different driver or larger driver. So recommendations for something to maximize bass is welcomed.

Don't be modest re your fabrication skills, some of us have already seen your work, and are fully aware that size is not likely a constraint ( well except maybe for a Kleinhorn :eek: ) .

DO be prepared for some interesting advice re the Audio Nirvana drivers - do you have them in hand or committed?

Don't be modest re your fabrication skills, some of us have already seen your work, and are fully aware that size is not likely a constraint ( well except maybe for a Kleinhorn :eek: ) .

DO be prepared for some interesting advice re the Audio Nirvana drivers - do you have them in hand or committed?

I have not purchased anything yet. The Audio Nirvana drivers look interesting to me and I heard some smaller ones in a Voight horn the other day. I like the mids, the simplicity of build but want more bass. \

So I am open to any suggestion, as long as it stays in the full range family.

I'm no expert but the Metronome looks pretty good for the AN10. The design is intended for relatively near wall placement and listening distance sweet spot of 8-10 feet. From what I have heard the holey braces are pretty important if you opt for building these, along with the baffle step correction circuit.

Another design that looks really good as well as an easier build is here Nirvana

I envy you having a a wood shop! Have fun.

So I am open to any suggestion, as long as it stays in the full range family.

Hello,
i would prefer the 8" driver size
i made a few double horn for more bass,
less sweet spot, no bass resonanz,
98 dB 1W 1m, measurements, feedback, plan overview.

RDH20, Saxophon, Posaune XL

Attachments

• sax v. B.web jpg.jpg
    sax v. B.web jpg.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 231
  • posaune XL ANS8  TK.jpg
    posaune XL ANS8 TK.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 227
  • rdhb200web.jpg
    rdhb200web.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 229
what amp(s) will be used?

lemme guess, some kinda SE DHT?

I have several to choose from here. I have a McIntosh MC240, Final Labs EL34, Shanling SP-80 running 6CA7, a DIY stereo 2A3, a 6DN7 integrated and my latest DIY custom based on a Dynaco ST70. I think the 6DN7 at 1 1/2 watts per channel would be a little thin on bass and even the 2A3 a little light. The other tube amps are in the 30 watts per channel range. I haven't really considered any of my solid state or chip amps.

I have several to choose from here. I have a McIntosh MC240, Final Labs EL34, Shanling SP-80 running 6CA7, a DIY stereo 2A3, a 6DN7 integrated and my latest DIY custom based on a Dynaco ST70. I think the 6DN7 at 1 1/2 watts per channel would be a little thin on bass and even the 2A3 a little light. The other tube amps are in the 30 watts per channel range. I haven't really considered any of my solid state or chip amps.

so that's not gonna be a limiting factor :rolleyes:

I have been looking around planet10 and frugal-horn. What do you think the curvy chang or MK3. I like the looks of both.

The FH MK3 is excellent performer, but very specifically modeled for much smaller drivers than you originally indicated interest in. The predominant driver of choice in almost 30 prs of kits shipped this past 12 months has been the Fostex FE126E.

I've not heard any FE206E or 207E designs other than the Fostex / Nagaoko BLH, and frankly found them highly colored, and even for my aged and broken hearing, deficient in the top couple of octaves - a tweeter of some sort would be mandatory.

Based entirely on other systems of yours that I've seen, the "Goldilocks" size of the Fostex drivers might be the FE166E - which I have heard sound spectacularly good in the Woden Victor.

Woden Design | Victor
Victor-comp.gif

Its big brother - Vulcan - would , I imagine dig even deeper in the bottom, but likely still need some help up top.

Keep in mind that the Woden designs are carefully optimized for the Fostex drivers, and could not easily (if at all) be adapted for the Audio Nirvanas.

If your placement is constrained to forward firing mouths, there are new versions of the Hiro / Sachiko Olson Style Manifolds for updated Fostex FE series

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FH/download/SpawnHorn-v2-planset-070212.pdf

Thanks for the ongoing info. I'm like a sponge soaking it all in and learning as I go. I just went throught 67 pages on the curvy changs. Any thoughts on it with AN or the altered version later in the thread? The one showing a down firing woofer. Although I would build them without the additional woofer. I like different, I like curves and esthetics are a plus.

Actually in that thread was a guy in Fort Worth/Dallas with red and silver curvy changs. I believe those have been sold to a guy in Austin or there is an identical pair in Austin that I have seen and heard.

Thanks for the ongoing info. I'm like a sponge soaking it all in and learning as I go. I just went throught 67 pages on the curvy changs. Any thoughts on it with AN or the altered version later in the thread? The one showing a down firing woofer. Although I would build them without the additional woofer. I like different, I like curves and esthetics are a plus.

Actually in that thread was a guy in Fort Worth/Dallas with red and silver curvy changs. I believe those have been sold to a guy in Austin or there is an identical pair in Austin that I have seen and heard.

I'm pretty sure there's a couple of pairs of FH3 not too far down #35 in Austin, should you be inclined towards a taste test of the smaller types.

Not exactly Dixie Bottlehead loud, but musical none the less.

As to the AN drivers, to be honest the only pair I heard were a different model, several years back in enclosures I believe following one of CSA's designs, but not really well optimized. Color me underwhelmed - but reserving judgement.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.