Alpair12 Bookshelf Options

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well I've thoroughly enjoyed my SuperPensil12's but I'm going to pick up a set of speakers Saturday that will be my primary speakers since I do mostly HT, Klipsch La Scala's. I know Klipschs aren't for everyone but I really like the sound of these vintage speakers and the dynamics they produce for HT rival many pro cinemas, just in a smaller space. Given that I don't have space for those MASSIVE speakers AND my SuperPensil's I'm going to have to make some bookshelves for my Alpair12's so I can still use them for music. I'll place them on top of the La Scala's so they don't take up more floor space.

My question is, what do you all recommend for a relatively simple build. I'm not skilled enough for the Onken builds so need something a bit more simple. I was thinkinig about the A12 DBR: http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/Woden/downloads/MarkAudio-A12-DBR-290610.pdf

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Scott

Zia, so you have the double bass reflex ones? I haven't seen the Classig Golden Ratio ones. The DBR seemed like a pretty easy build and I liked the looks as well. Simulated response looked good too. Do you have any pics of your build? I've been a little absent lately while I've been looking for these La Scala's :)

Scott

Yeah I think the Traps are out of my league and after dropping as much as I am on the La Scala's having some nice ones built are unfortunately out of the question. I like the look of the CGR but they might be a bit small resulting in less bass than I'd like. I dont mind them being big as in tall and deep but can't be wide as I'll be putting them sideways on top of the La Scala's to keep them mostly at ear level.

Haha! My wife is ready to kill me with the La Scalas. Pretty sure I'd be dead in about 2.2 seconds. Lol

If you're lucky, you won't even see it coming - something to be said for things to be over before you know it happened.

But seriously, if for a real "bookshelf" installation rather than "free standing small monitor", the low diffraction signature of any of the large bevelled MarKens would probably not be of much benefit, and the CGR would be a much simpler build - and IINM is marginally smaller than the DBR .

Last edited:
So Chris would you think the CGR should be fine or should I go with the DBR? I kind of like the larger size of the DBR :)

To make it a bit more visual, here's what the La Scala's look like and I'm going to place the bookshelves sideways on top to keep the driver closer to ear level:

7f29fb3f7c009bf1557cbd656e9b85af.jpg

A12 DBR AKA Studio Reference Monitors

Here's a pic of my one - still without veneer or finish. :) These are my everyday speakers now.

Currently playing with a Hypex UCD 180HG amp we put together today. The Hypex is very, very good, and plays very nicely with the Alpair 12.

-Zia

Attachments

• A12DBR.jpg
    A12DBR.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 377
to be honest I haven't heard either, - how about if you build both and tell us? :)

If I had your skills or even some of your tools I totally would! I'll probably have to wait till I go to my parent's next time as my dad has all the tools. The garage in my townhouse just isn't big enough for everything I want :D

Scott

well to be honest, I'm not sure we've still got even a single pair of the old 12s around - although we do have at least 2 pairs of 10.2s, so I could blast those together (if actually drawn yet) - that would give us at least 4 pairs of enclosures for the 10.2

oops, I guess I just committed myself - who needs spare time when you could be building speakers?

Dave - got drawings for A10.2 DBR?

well to be honest, I'm not sure we've still got even a single pair of the old 12s around - although we do have at least 2 pairs of 10.2s, so I could blast those together (if actually drawn yet) - that would give us at least 4 pairs of enclosures for the 10.2

oops, I guess I just committed myself - who needs spare time when you could be building speakers?

Dave - got drawings for A10.2 DBR?

Hey if you want, I can send you up my 12's if you want to try them out too? Just let me know, they won't be in commission for a while after tomorrow night until I can build a new enclosure for them.

Scott

EDIT: And I agree, spare time is for the boring :) Us speaker dudes/dudettes don't need no stinkin spare time!

Hey if you want, I can send you up my 12's if you want to try them out too? Just let me know, they won't be in commission for a while after tomorrow night until I can build a new enclosure for them.

Scott

that's OK, keep 'em there - out of curiosity I counted speakers the other night - 8 finished pairs sitting unused in my "man-cave", plus the 5.1 HT system and another pair upstairs

BTW, not a single multi-way in the bunch

and at Dave's place - well, he'd have to be able to see them to count them, and that's often a challenge

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.