Design suggestion for 4" Airborne driver please....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi scott, how are you ? thks for the quick response.
A notch in between 7k is for sure needed, but what about smaller size design?

if you're thinking of asking if the FH3 can be scaled down (or up) for different drivers, don't (ask that is)

we haven't ourselves (yet) tried drivers smaller than say any of the Mark Audio 70mm series, or Fostex FE126, but there's likely no reason the Airbornes couldn't work well enough - but both the pronounced 7kHz spike and quick drop off above would need some type of attention

actually, I'd be inclined to think the latter (roll-off above 7K) might be more of an issue than the peak itself - EQ might not resolve it satisfactorily

since you have 4 of these, have you had them playing yet in any type of test enclosure, or heard them elsewhere? i.e. what is your impression of their top-end?

if it turns out that they do need some boost in the top end, I'd be more inclined to think about a small MTM and XOing them around 4-5K to a small dome tweeter.

Sorry scott, I didn't mention my point well. But as I was posting here, I had alittle time to google on some very interesting cab design. One of them was about Multiple-Chamber Aligned in Parallel Speaker System(MCAP-CR).

mcapspeakers

One of the design mention caught my attention is a compact three and four small chamber formulate into a cubical box. They are compact and systematic....an advance BR bookshelve speaker.
MCAP-CR_Suggested_Cabinets

scott, what is your opinion on this type of box design, do they sound as good as they say it would ?

Sorry scott, I didn't mention my point well. But as I was posting here, I had alittle time to google on some very interesting cab design. One of them was about Multiple-Chamber Aligned in Parallel Speaker System(MCAP-CR).

mcapspeakers

One of the design mention caught my attention is a compact three and four small chamber formulate into a cubical box. They are compact and systematic....an advance BR bookshelve speaker.
MCAP-CR_Suggested_Cabinets

scott, what is your opinion on this type of box design, do they sound as good as they say it would ?

can you say "jenga"? - lots of "interesting" speaker enclosure designs out there - speculation as to how one might sound can go only so far

Or something less polite.:devilr:

I'd start with something simple, but maybe that's too easy? The drivers in question sim. fine in a 10L ported box, so why not start there?

jeff

can't help but think of the old SP lyric "in spite of my rage, I'm still just a rat in a cage"

for some reason, Olson / Nagaoka manifold types intuitively make more sense than this maze of resonant cavities

but far stranger things have "worked", so who knows - it'd be fun to try and model it though :eek:

Attachments

• TCAP-100-001.JPG
    TCAP-100-001.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 200
Short answer to the question -I don't know. Haven't tried it, and what sounds good to one person is poison to another, so YMMV as always.

FWIW: while I acknowledge the work involved in the MCAP etc., I also think that it's probably a solution in search of a problem. When it comes to vented alignments, I've never gone beyond a DBR / DCR, & then only for very specific reasons. If you need more chambers, seems to me that you're either trying to force a driver into doing something it really isn't all that happy about (not a good plan IMO), or adding complexity that doesn't need to be there. This is just my view of course, and given that if I'm known at all, it's probably for designing ~6ft tall double mouth horns with manifold expansion, I'm hardly in a position to talk about complexity.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.