Fostex FE206En or FE126En for 6.5W SET - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th March 2012, 03:55 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Fostex FE206En or FE126En for 6.5W SET

Greetings, Speaker DIY-ers!

I've recently completed a 6.5W per channel 300B SET amplifier. Now I am searching for appropriate speakers. I've narrowed the choices to two kits from Madisound Speaker Store

1) BK-12m using FE126En driver
2) BK-20 using the FE206En driver

I know (almost) nothing about speakers. Given that both speakers are efficient and can handle way more than 6.5W, does it make sense to go to a larger model (BK-20) for this amplifier, if I can afford it?

Thanks!
Old 14th March 2012, 06:26 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

My personal preference is for the FE126.

Also note that the BK12M is a modern design in the same form factor as the original BKs (ie BK20) that predate Y2k.

FE206 will give greater dynamics, and more bass impact (but won't, in this cab necessarily go lower (Scott?)). FE126 has better top, better midrange, and more finese.

Have you looked at the Frugel-Horn Mk3?

dave
Old 14th March 2012, 01:07 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have a 3 watt Decware amp that I am using with the 126 and love it. It is connected with a Khozmo Passive Pre and has lots to offer. A very nice driver.
Old 14th March 2012, 01:53 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Dave,

Since I've never heard such a setup, I have no frame of reference to know what, say, more bass will mean. When I build it, it will be the first time I'll hear a SET amp and a full range speaker. I just want to start with something decent that will take full advantage of the 6.5W amp to give a good performance overall. From what you're telling me, the FE126 will do that and I don't need to move up to FE206.

I've looked at Frugel-Horn Mk3 designs, but could not find a kit readily available (I have no woodworking tools). Maybe my Googling skills are not as good as I think?

Thanks again!
Old 14th March 2012, 02:00 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Mariner: Dave should have some flat packs I believe, if not a pair of Frugals I just made for a friend in WI are not working out for him, he has too many speakers and it was just fun. They currently have a 126 driver in them and he is looking to get rid of them at a reasonable cost understanding shipping will be 50-60 bucks to NY. Let me know if you want his info. THey look just like these

Frugel-Horn Mk3 Picture Gallery

JON P
Old 14th March 2012, 07:39 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonparkhurst View Post
shipping will be 50-60 bucks to NY
That is less than half the shipping of one of my flat-paks across the continent

BK12m & FH3 are from the same design team and were done at close to the same time.

dave
Old 14th March 2012, 09:00 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Unfortunately I already placed the order. A BK-12m kit is now on its way to me. Thanks again!
Old 14th March 2012, 09:48 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Enjoy! You will stuff them to taste. Don't think for a minute this will be your last project!

Zilla
Old 15th March 2012, 01:23 AM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariner4 View Post
A BK-12m kit is now on its way to me.
Enjoy them... and do tell us how they go together. I have the proto-types in my living room.

dave
Old 20th March 2012, 01:12 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

So, I built the kit! Can't listen to it yet (my amp is out of commission with a defective tube), but it was easy to build and finish. Good quality parts, everything fits.

I have a question regarding driver mounting: how tight should it be? As tight as possible against the enclosure? There is a seal there, which seems to want a small gap.

Hide this!Advertise here!