Fostex FE206En or FE126En for 6.5W SET

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings, Speaker DIY-ers!

I've recently completed a 6.5W per channel 300B SET amplifier. Now I am searching for appropriate speakers. I've narrowed the choices to two kits from Madisound Speaker Store

1) BK-12m using FE126En driver
2) BK-20 using the FE206En driver

I know (almost) nothing about speakers. Given that both speakers are efficient and can handle way more than 6.5W, does it make sense to go to a larger model (BK-20) for this amplifier, if I can afford it?

Thanks!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
My personal preference is for the FE126.

Also note that the BK12M is a modern design in the same form factor as the original BKs (ie BK20) that predate Y2k.

FE206 will give greater dynamics, and more bass impact (but won't, in this cab necessarily go lower (Scott?)). FE126 has better top, better midrange, and more finese.

Have you looked at the Frugel-Horn Mk3?

dave

Thanks, Dave,

Since I've never heard such a setup, I have no frame of reference to know what, say, more bass will mean. When I build it, it will be the first time I'll hear a SET amp and a full range speaker. I just want to start with something decent that will take full advantage of the 6.5W amp to give a good performance overall. From what you're telling me, the FE126 will do that and I don't need to move up to FE206.

I've looked at Frugel-Horn Mk3 designs, but could not find a kit readily available (I have no woodworking tools). Maybe my Googling skills are not as good as I think?

Thanks again!

Mariner: Dave should have some flat packs I believe, if not a pair of Frugals I just made for a friend in WI are not working out for him, he has too many speakers and it was just fun. They currently have a 126 driver in them and he is looking to get rid of them at a reasonable cost understanding shipping will be 50-60 bucks to NY. Let me know if you want his info. THey look just like these

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/199849-frugel-horn-mk3-picture-gallery-4.html#post2829260

JON P

So, I built the kit! Can't listen to it yet (my amp is out of commission with a defective tube), but it was easy to build and finish. Good quality parts, everything fits.

I have a question regarding driver mounting: how tight should it be? As tight as possible against the enclosure? There is a seal there, which seems to want a small gap.

Enjoy! You will stuff them to taste. Don't think for a minute this will be your last project!

Zilla

Well, at least he's saving time by doing... 1. Going with a plan that's already designed 2. The panels have already been cut for him.

Of course, this is very different from where I am right now where I bought a pair of Veravox 3X drivers that are designed for steered line arrays and tube amps and requires an EQ and a pair of Visaton R10SC which is a driver for a Public Address system. Then I ordered two binding posts instead of 4 and that was before I found out some models have plastic on them to avoid electric shock. But, I am laughing at this because I was expecting it. The first time I tried to learn how to put a computer together, I was not impressed by the speed so I sold motherboard/CPU/memory TWICE on eBay before I was satisfied. Oh well, at least I got to a point where I made up my mind whether I want to solder or use terminal disconnectors. I decided I'd rather use a crimping tool and put terminal disconnectors on there. And maybe I won't use binding posts at all, just run them straight to the amp. I might end up ordering another pair of binding posts just to put them on a pair of speakers that I'll eventually sell. At least I'm getting into it. :cool:

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
wokerbee,

Me? The FH3 or the proto BK12m?

Chris and i finially got both together last night and finally did a comparo. As expected they are broadly similar. The FH3 has an edge in imaging and the BK12m suffers from a tiny bit more midrange colouration -- we surmise from the close proximity of the back wall. Some experimentation with damping, deflection could help there. The BK12m get an edge anywhere were placement near a wall or corner isn't possible.

FH3 flat-paks are in (more or less) constant production. More & more people are asking us to ship finished (5 of 47 so far) and the BK12m are freed up to go to a new owner. eMail me for detail.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.