Single driver bliss!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Picked up some Tang Band 1772's a while back and finally got them into boxes, everything you heard about these is true! Good bass extension, smooth mids, and no need for a tweeter. I also noticed these sounded great right from the start without the usual break-in teething issues. Also you don't get the "listening to a whizzer" experience like I've had with other fullrangers. All in all the TB's have exceeded my expectations and I am enjoying playing all kinds of music through them.

Larry

Attachments

• IMG_1937.JPG
    IMG_1937.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 771
  • IMG_1935.JPG
    IMG_1935.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 756
  • IMG_1953.JPG
    IMG_1953.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 744
  • IMG_1956.JPG
    IMG_1956.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 715
  • IMG_1963.JPG
    IMG_1963.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 728
Yes I built the boxes, they are braced 1inch particle board with Arborite burnished rosewood p-lam skin. Rear 4 inch vent close to the bottom, internal walls are damped with memory foam mattress pad. There is a pipe harmonic at 150hz which I was able to damp out with hollowfill stuffing but after careful listening all the stuffing was removed! The only drawback with rear venting is placement too close to the back wall degrades the bass. I use them about 16 inches from the back wall and they sound great.
All the materials for this project were recycled as they were destined for the scrap bin! One mans trash is another mans treasure! lol
The TB's need BSC for sure, I've been playing around with values and I let my dog make the final decision on that!

Larry

I don't have a drawing but the inside dims are 10X10X44 inches, driver is 10 inches down from inside top. Port is 4 inch diameter, 2 inch long centered 5 inches up from inside bottom. Filter is a simple BSC with a coil paralleled with a resister in series with the driver.

Larry

I thought the Tang Band 1808 was the driver better suited for vented cabinets?
I have not even gotten around to building my first speaker yet, and the Tang Band and SEAS driver was at the top of my list. That speaker you built is beautiful it looks like it could be sold at a high end shop. Beautiful work -
How do you like it so far - how does it compare to other full range speakers you might have heard? Any tips on how they were built would be greatly appreciated. Best regards
Mike

The W8-1772 has an EBP of 116. That's pretty "venty".

I thought the Tang Band 1808 was the driver better suited for vented cabinets?
I have not even gotten around to building my first speaker yet, and the Tang Band and SEAS driver was at the top of my list. That speaker you built is beautiful it looks like it could be sold at a high end shop. Beautiful work -
How do you like it so far - how does it compare to other full range speakers you might have heard? Any tips on how they were built would be greatly appreciated. Best regards
Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.