Flat midrange in 100-10000Hz?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

well id suggest the Visaton AL130 or M variant.

None of the posted drivers actually output FLAT from 100-10k....... and as such neither does MY suggestion. Downside is price, visatons arent cheap. Maybe the W130S8 instead?
http://www.visaton.de/en/chassis_zubehoer/tiefmittelton/al130_8.html
...or maybe a monacor SPH130/SPH130/AD or /AL ?

Nice ones!
Thanks guys!

well id suggest the Visaton AL130 or M variant.

None of the posted drivers actually output FLAT from 100-10k....... and as such neither does MY suggestion. Downside is price, visatons arent cheap. Maybe the W130S8 instead?

Visaton - Lautsprecher und Zubehör, Loudspeakers and Accessories

or maybe a monacor SPH130/SPH130/AD or /AL ?

There are also many good Tangband as other suggested. Im actually using the visaton AL130 8 and G20sc tweeter, which both form the visaton kit Vib130TL. Im using a slightly modified crossover, but its very similar essentially to the Vib130TL crossover schematic. In a closed box F3 is pretty good, and the BSC level on the crossover design give a nice flat midrange at the expense of efficiency.

Below pic shows the response of both drivers in a ported volume of ~16 litres

All in all, it sounds very studio monitor 'flat', and from the crossover simulation its within around +/-1.5dB. I havent measured their response, BUT from the sound I can believe it. I prefer the sound of the drivers in a closed box, even when the Qcb is less than 0.7. The BSC is heavy, and designed to give a flat midrange response; in the closed box the baffle step frequency is raised JUST enough that the BSC compensation is slightly less, and the mids sing out a little more.

Last edited:
Hi there again!
Finally I will be using a Visaton driver (fairly cheap ~20euro).

On calculating the optimum volume using ISD it comes up with Vb=-13.47L.
1) What does this mean?

Ideally this driver will be placed in a sealed box of inner volume 2.3L.
That gives rise of about 6dB in the area of 200Hz.
2) The produced sound will be as its frequency response suggests, slightly shifted higher in the area of 200Hz?
3) In such case would there be a missmatch between driver action and volume of air in the box?

Thanks again
Costas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.