how bad a starting point is this? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th March 2012, 08:06 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default how bad a starting point is this?

how bad is this for a starting point for a rear-loaded horn for my fane 12" drivers?

this is about the best i've managed with a physically planned box and the subsequent numbers for it plotted in hornresp. its 'tuned' high to keep the size manageable and to hopefully match the subwoofer assistance (i think). the path offset is due to a suprabaffle i was going to play with, but the path difference doesn't make all that much difference.

thanks for your help

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 13th March 2012, 02:29 AM   #2
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Looks like it might be for use as a prosound bass bin. For sure, it would be way too boomy in a typical HIFI/HT room.

GM
Old 13th March 2012, 03:23 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

thanks for the reply. its for use in a fairly large room in my home (music+movies), where smaller drivers just aren't big enough to fill the room. i bought some MA drivers to try out in a little bass reflex box, they sound pretty good but they just don't have enough presence for the high ceilings etc.

this is the plot for a TQWT (right-side results), is this a more favourable set of results?

if not can you link me to, or post results for what a favourable rear-loaded horn/TL/TQWT would look like in hornresp so i can try and modify a design to the driver so its suitable.

thanks for your help.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by gafhenderson; 13th March 2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 14th March 2012, 04:13 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hmm, IIRC, MA doesn't recommend horn loading its drivers and TLs won't give you the LF gain required to help fill up a large room. I'm not even sure they can make enough mids SPL for HT at any distance required for a larger screen.

Regardless, I don't consider this new alignment acceptable either. Search the forums for the replicon horn [I've lost the link]; its Excel designer calculates a traditional BLH that you can input into HR or one of the other horn designers.

GM
Old 14th March 2012, 08:51 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
Hmm, IIRC, MA doesn't recommend horn loading its drivers and TLs won't give you the LF gain required to help fill up a large room. I'm not even sure they can make enough mids SPL for HT at any distance required for a larger screen.

Regardless, I don't consider this new alignment acceptable either. Search the forums for the replicon horn [I've lost the link]; its Excel designer calculates a traditional BLH that you can input into HR or one of the other horn designers.

GM
i am not planning on using the MA drivers in a horn, i wish to horn load my 12" full range drivers.
Old 14th March 2012, 10:46 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The first cabinet you posted shows loading to ~50Hz, with excursion getting silly below ~45Hz.
I'd use some eq to remove the peak around 80Hz, set it so you've got a theoretically flat response in the low end to 50Hz, then tweak the eq to taste.

Chris
Old 15th March 2012, 12:34 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafhenderson View Post
i am not planning on using the MA drivers in a horn, i wish to horn load my 12" full range drivers.
OK, then I don't know why you brought them up except to horn load them too. Regardless, it doesn't change my suggestion as to how to proceed.

GM
Old 15th March 2012, 12:43 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
I'd use some eq to remove the peak around 80Hz, set it so you've got a theoretically flat response in the low end to 50Hz, then tweak the eq to taste.
In short, defeating about 60% of what the cab was designed for. If you want flat, just design it flat.

GM
Old 15th March 2012, 01:16 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Loving your logic here Greg.
Old 15th March 2012, 01:32 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

can someone please show me what a useful hornresp plot looks like for a big FR driver? the eminence beta 12LTA for example. even a small driver in one of the mk3 frugal's that have very good feedback would do, i just need a visual representation of what is considered 'good'.

i got the easyhorn spreadsheet calc and the numbers it gives me seem rubbish. huge volumes and rubbish combined responses (to my eye), although the sheet might not be working correctly, which is why i need something correct to base my tinkering around.

thanks for your help.

Hide this!Advertise here!