FF125WK and Fonken - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2012, 09:43 PM   #1
efreddi is offline efreddi  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default FF125WK and Fonken

Hello everybody!

I'm at my first trial in building loudspeakers. I would use them in a medium size room (4x6 m) for classic/rock music driven by a gainclone at neighbor compatible loudness. I'm very fascinated by the back loaded horns like the frugal horn and the FE126eN, but these enclosures are too big for me (max 45-50 cm height).

About the driver I think that the Fostex FF125WK has very interesting characteristics . After long search in the forum I have found the drawings posted by Planet 10 of the dFonken125, they look to fit well my needs. I'm just a bit perplexed about that peak at 7 KHz in the frequency response chart published by Fostex. Does it hurt the sound? Is this enclosure somehow damping it?

Thank you for any comment or suggestions.

Elia

Old 10th March 2012, 05:52 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

It's a breakup mode of the central dust cap. The cabinet won't affect it; with very few exceptions, back-loaded cabinets of any type only function over a very restricted BW on the bottom end.* Whether it 'hurts the sound' is likely to depend as much on taste as anything else. It's somewhat less than the issues a few other popular wideband units suffer from, and the published measurements appear to have less smoothing applied than can be the case elsewhere, so YMMV. Obviously, it would be better if it didn't exist, & I suspect it would be possible to damp it out.

*Although a very heavily stuffed box for e.g. can result in an acoustic mass load on the driver sufficient to deform the cone & therefore affect the mids & HF.
Old 10th March 2012, 06:48 PM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by efreddi View Post
the dFonken125
CGR dFonken125 (the full-on dFonken125 (and a whole lot more) is in the paid plan-set)

We have not found the 7k peak to be very noticable. Certainly no-where near as objectionable as the earlier FE126e or FE127e. None-the-less we are adding a bit of a tweak to the modded version of the drivers to counter it.

dave
Old 13th March 2012, 06:22 PM   #4
efreddi is offline efreddi  Germany
diyAudio Member

Thank you for your replies. So I will keep the FF125WK and corresponding Fonken in consideration for my final decision.
Regards

Elia
Old 13th March 2012, 11:00 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Stick a small felt dot on the dustcap and see if it sounds better. It looks like a great driver otherwise.
Old 13th March 2012, 11:37 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
Stick a small felt dot on the dustcap and see if it sounds better. It looks like a great driver otherwise.
The biggest issue with the new FFs (at least the ones i have) is at the attachment of the surround. A couple coats of Zig 2-way glue on the backside goes a long way to curing this.

In this picture of the FF85wk you can see how i have approached the dustcap,

Click the image to open in full size.

Yes, those are glow in the dark spots -- they went into a solid locust cabinet, a wood which itself reacts under black light.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!