Original CHP70 in dKal-El70 cabinets? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2012, 09:10 AM   #1
Bister is offline Bister  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default Original CHP70 in dKal-El70 cabinets?

Hello!
Iím building the dKal-El70 cabinets for a pair of Markaudio CHP70 Iíve ordered. I just realized the drivers are the first generation, not the CHP70.3. Is it possible to use these cabinets with some tweaks or should I use a different design?

Magnus
Old 9th March 2012, 09:52 AM   #2
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Here's one for gen-1 CHP-70.

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeaker...lEL-191111.pdf
Old 9th March 2012, 06:25 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Great, thanks! I couldn't find any reference to this design either at Planet 10 or here. Any thoughts on flipping the cabinet over? If possibe I'd like the driver on the long side with the speaker standing up.

Magnus
Old 9th March 2012, 06:49 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Magnus,

Consider yourself lucky you found a pair of the old...

Which dKal-El70 cabs? The only freely released plans are the CGRs.

The original CHP is more akin to the EL70 and optimally requires a larger box than the CHP70.2 which is more like a CHR.

The smaller CGR could be retuned for the original driver, and if you haven't cut wood, i can get the free CGR plans for the original up fairly quickly.

The plans Zia linked too are the bigger box AFAIK (without checking). Driver can be placed on any face.

fonken-style box nomenclature... what is with those names?

dave
Old 9th March 2012, 08:40 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yes, the plan was to build narrow CGRs. Would the larger box Zia linked to generate a better result? Putting the port on the front would put the inner end just 7 mm from the back wall. Is it ok to make a 90 degree turn in the port to make it follow the back wall the last distance?

I'm trying to understand these boxes. Can you change the dimensions (within limits), keeping the volume and the area of the cross section intact? For the port I guess it's the volume that matters?

Dave, I did cut the wood for the Kal-Els, but since this is my first build I used mdf figuring I wouldn't be out much if I messed up... which I did:-) I will happily make a small bonfire of the scraps in your honour;-)
Thanks for your help!

Magnus

Hide this!Advertise here!