Original CHP70 in dKal-El70 cabinets?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Magnus,

Consider yourself lucky you found a pair of the old...

Which dKal-El70 cabs? The only freely released plans are the CGRs.

The original CHP is more akin to the EL70 and optimally requires a larger box than the CHP70.2 which is more like a CHR.

The smaller CGR could be retuned for the original driver, and if you haven't cut wood, i can get the free CGR plans for the original up fairly quickly.

The plans Zia linked too are the bigger box AFAIK (without checking). Driver can be placed on any face.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/plan...enclature-what-those-names-4.html#post2937880

dave

Yes, the plan was to build narrow CGRs. Would the larger box Zia linked to generate a better result? Putting the port on the front would put the inner end just 7 mm from the back wall. Is it ok to make a 90 degree turn in the port to make it follow the back wall the last distance?

I'm trying to understand these boxes. Can you change the dimensions (within limits), keeping the volume and the area of the cross section intact? For the port I guess it's the volume that matters?

Dave, I did cut the wood for the Kal-Els, but since this is my first build I used mdf figuring I wouldn't be out much if I messed up... which I did:) I will happily make a small bonfire of the scraps in your honour;-)
Thanks for your help!

Magnus

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Matt,

Note that the Kal-El cabinets are for the CHP-70s (2nd/3rd generation here).

For a miniOnken the EL70 optimally fits into 13L, the CHR into 9L. There is a 13L free CGR for the EL70 but i never put it into the smaller CGR … it will fit and work.

CGR Mar-Kel70 for EL70

If you would like the EL70 fitted into the smaller CGR i can do that, but it will require that you get the EL70 planset (now 39 pages (and missing at least 1 design done since), email me). I plan on adding the Pluvia Seven/CHS70 to this planset as its box requirements are VERY close to the EL70.

dave

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the amazingly fast response. In my post I accidentally typed CHR instead of CHP, I think my brain combined CHP and CGR somehow.

The EL70s came out of an open-baffle speaker I built a few years ago, and I'm looking for something else to try them in. My hope was to build a small set of speakers that could be used on my desk in an near-field arrangement, but the EL70 seems better matched to a slightly larger enclosure and might not be optimally used in a ~9L enclosure.

Hmmm.... perhaps instead I should put the EL70s into a Frugel-Horn Mk3 and buy some better suited drivers for the desktop speakers, something in the 3-3.5" range. I'll take a look at your designs with smaller enclosures. I'm sure my wife will be so happy that the large open-baffle speakers are gone that she won't notice they somehow turned into 4 smaller speakers. :)

Also, I wanted to thank you and everybody involved for releasing so many of these full-range designs either for free or for a reasonable price. If I had more free time I'd love to build the entire stable and try them all out.

- Matt

EL70 fits comfortably in a millSize (4.7L vented) enclosure. They use a 49mm wide vent spacer in the standard millSize box (there is a mMar-Ken6 at frugal-phile.com)

dave

I had previously noticed the mMar-Kel70 design on the website, and comparing dimensions to the mMar-Ken6 they appear to be identical. Both have vent spacers that add up to 49mm.

http://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/P10free/mMar-Kel70-1v0-map-231009.pdf

I have some leftover 1/2" plywood from another project, perhaps I'll slightly adjust the plans for the thinner wood and build a set of these. Thanks again for the input.

- Matt

I'm going to re-use the 3/4" front panels of my dipoles (cut down in size) since I've already got them setup to fit the EL70s. So, for clarity the front panel will be 3/4" and all other panels will be 1/2". :)

IMG_6383.jpg

IMG_6420.jpg

Thanks.

- Matt

Great point. I was planning on keeping the internal dimensions the same, but I will need to compensate for the change to the vent length. This wood is marketed as 3/4". I will measure the actual material width in mm and then increase the gap between the vent shelf and the rear panel by 1/2 of the difference in front panel width. Instead of 12mm it will end up being 13-14mm probably.

- Matt

Dave,

I was thinking about this a bit more...

Assuming that the important calculation for the vent is its total volume (which determines its resonant frequency), then if I'm adding 3-4mm to the horizontal part of the vent I would need to remove an equivalent volume from the vertical part to compensate. But, since I am using 12mm for the vent shelf instead of 15mm there are two variables being changed.

The "stock" vent parts are (w x h x d):
- 94mm x 12mm x 163.5mm (horizontal)
- 143mm x 15mm x 12mm (vertical)
= 210168 mm^3

If I use 18mm material (to make calculations easier) for the front panel it makes the horizontal portion of my vent 3mm longer.
- 94mm x 12mm x 166.5mm = 187812 mm^3

Leaving 22356 mm^3 for the vertical portion to retain the target vent volume.

If the vent shelf is 12mm high and 143mm wide then the new depth of the vertical portion of the vent would be 13mm.

I think I've now officially taken this thread off topic, and should probably go away and start making some sawdust.

Thank you again for all your input on this project!

- Matt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.