Will Alpair work in a Sachiko design? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2012, 02:22 AM   #1
tpageal is offline tpageal  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Will Alpair work in a Sachiko design?

I'm very new to this and have searched for days on this site looking for Alpair and Sachiko designs. I have only built one center speaker with an alpair 12 and absolutely love the sound. I am now wanting to go all in and try my hand at replacing my analog system speakers. I like the idea of the Sachiko BLH design and since I like the Alpair as the center in my home theater set up I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with the combo.
Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 02:34 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The short answer is no.

You might find this interesting... you have to get into it a ways before Allen starts his work on Avebury (somewhere around post 90). Mikasa, next?

dave
Old 9th March 2012, 02:35 AM   #3
jimbro is offline jimbro  United States
diyAudio Member

You need a blh designed specifically for the alpair 12 like this - Woden Design | Avebury
Old 9th March 2012, 02:47 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the replies. Given I don't know what I'm doing I think I'll go with a Fostex/Sachiko design. There's a lot of info on those and I'll be able to find help when I screw something up....
Thanks again
Old 9th March 2012, 03:49 AM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Do keep in mind that the successor to Sachiko, Kirishima, is designed for the currently available driver, Spawn Olson/Nagaoka Horns the Next Generation

dave
Old 9th March 2012, 03:54 AM   #6
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

tpgeal,

Experienced folks say it's good to have all front 3 drivers the same for "vocal purity". You already have an Alp12 center, right? The tonal balance of the Fostex will be quite different from the Alp 12.
Old 9th March 2012, 03:59 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Yes I do. I doubt the wife would allow two sets of fronts in the living room. I've been looking for almost a year at what to build and am just torn. I was hoping the sachiko would work but I may have look at another design where the alpair would work. I just don't want to go into the to difficult to build category for my first build.
Old 9th March 2012, 04:02 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I built and purchased switches to go between my SS Hometheater and tube equipment. So I can go all tube with vinyl for music. So, I wouldn't be using center unless watching tv or movies with SS.
Old 9th March 2012, 04:11 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Indeed I also think that it is important to have the same tonality for your 3 front speakers.
Old 9th March 2012, 05:01 AM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpageal View Post
Yes I do. I doubt the wife would allow two sets of fronts in the living room. I've been looking for almost a year at what to build and am just torn. I was hoping the sachiko would work but I may have look at another design where the alpair would work. I just don't want to go into the to difficult to build category for my first build.
The most difficult build i've seen for A12 is Avebury (althou the trapezoid miniOnken have their own set), and it is no more difficult than Sachiko, most are much simplier. Like Zia & Skeeter, Pensil12 or SuperPensil might be the best compromise. Do you have A12 #2 & 3 already?

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!