Will Alpair work in a Sachiko design?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm very new to this and have searched for days on this site looking for Alpair and Sachiko designs. I have only built one center speaker with an alpair 12 and absolutely love the sound. I am now wanting to go all in and try my hand at replacing my analog system speakers. I like the idea of the Sachiko BLH design and since I like the Alpair as the center in my home theater set up I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with the combo.
Thanks[FONT=Skia-Regular_Regular][FONT=Skia-Regular_Regular][FONT=Skia-Regular_Regular]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Yes I do. I doubt the wife would allow two sets of fronts in the living room. I've been looking for almost a year at what to build and am just torn. I was hoping the sachiko would work but I may have look at another design where the alpair would work. I just don't want to go into the to difficult to build category for my first build.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Yes I do. I doubt the wife would allow two sets of fronts in the living room. I've been looking for almost a year at what to build and am just torn. I was hoping the sachiko would work but I may have look at another design where the alpair would work. I just don't want to go into the to difficult to build category for my first build.

The most difficult build i've seen for A12 is Avebury (althou the trapezoid miniOnken have their own set), and it is no more difficult than Sachiko, most are much simplier. Like Zia & Skeeter, Pensil12 or SuperPensil might be the best compromise. Do you have A12 #2 & 3 already?

dave

One of the design goals of the Pensil family was relative simplicity of build - and unless you get carried away with interlocking bracing (like some folks I know :rolleyes:), they certainly are an easier build than say a trapezoid "Ken-zi" or Avebury. Due to the Alpair12's capabilities, any MLTL variant designed without compromise to LF extension will not be a tiny "book-shelf" sized box, but I'd wager they'd be more domestically acceptable than a full sized Olson/Nagaoka style manifold / BLH

(i.e. 37" < 72")

Kenz is definitely a piece of work

Attachments

• Kenzi.jpg
    Kenzi.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 170
No I dont have a set of Alpair 12's for the build. I just bought one last yr when I built the center. I just started looking at the Jaguar (wooden design) for Alpair 10's.

(one "O" in Woden)

be aware that the T/S parameters on recent generation of Alpair drivers ( 7.3, 10.2, and when released the new 12) have changed enough that Woden enclosures designed for them have required some revisions, so the Jaguar might be outdated

of the current enclosures for 10.2, unless you're looking for the grander scale of soundstage that the double mouth style can deliver, you might want to consider something like the Pensil or Brines' MLTL A10-M10 - both relatively simple builds and likely with greater WAF, or for a stand mounter, the MarKen.

Hmmm, well I guess the search is still on. I do like the idea of the double mouth style for the sound stage. I currently have martin logans and their soundstage is pretty good. Since I really care about the 2 channel tube sound I'm about to just forgo having common drivers e.g. the front with the alpair. I rarely watch movies and the only time I'm really listening to anything closely is 2 channel music so going with Fostex driver and double mouth horn is where i'm leaning.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.