First time Full Range Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

This is the first post on diyaudio. I hope to begin building my first Full Range speaker setup in a month.

I'm going to use the Fostex FE206en drivers. Also, under consideration is the enclosure, however, I believe I will follow the path as seen here, DIY Audio Projects Forum • FE206En Fostex and recommended enclosures (the recommended enclosure).

I understand that there will be some downfalls to the full range driver, however, I think the idea of a single full range driver project will be exciting.

At this point, I am also considering the pre-amp and amp. I think I will begin a build on the bottlehead Foreplay III Line Stage Kit or the Seduction Phono Pre amp (haven't decided if I want to go phono or not). The amp's will take some more thinking.

So, if you have any recommendations on either the enclosure, amp, or pre-amp then please post. Remember, the only thing this project must use is the FE206en as I have them lying around.

T.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The Fostex factory enclosures have been undewhelming giving poor to mediocre performance (and not that good if not made of the specified quality plywood).

For FE206En the best enclosures are considered to be Dallas II, Vulcan, the new Kirishima (extrapolating from the success of Sachiko) or a BIB.

dave

I looked at those as well and they all look great and as I have read on this forum they sound better as well; however, I'm slightly concerned with the height of those speakers. I would like something slightly more compact, not a bookshelf speaker, but not an overly heavy and space consuming one either.

T.

enclosure

Hello,
look my HP,
the SAT´s, Trumpet, Schalmei, Horn
and the double horns:
Saxophon, Posaune XL, RDH 20

Attachments

• schalmei_riethweb1.jpg
    schalmei_riethweb1.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 303
  • rdhb200web.jpg
    rdhb200web.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 282
  • posaune-mit-fostex-206e-006_55470.jpg
    posaune-mit-fostex-206e-006_55470.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 280
  • fostexelephant2b.jpg
    fostexelephant2b.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 277
If you want LF & a modest sized box, while preserving reasonably high efficiency, you've got the wrong driver. FWIW, of the factory back-horns, I suggest you go with the FE208ESigma box; it's a slightly higher gain design, worked well with the old FE206E, and should do the same with the FE206En. Dallas II is superior design, but the ESigma cabinet isn't too bad.

I do have a possible plan (like Dr Strangelove). Or several, come to think of it, if you're not needing anything instanta.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.