diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Full Range (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/)
-   -   Suggestions for 3" or 4" Fullrange Drivers? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/208354-suggestions-3-4-fullrange-drivers.html)

sci525 7th March 2012 09:26 PM

Suggestions for 3" or 4" Fullrange Drivers?

Hello and thanks for reading my post.

I am looking to build single driver full range speakers. These speakers will be used for listening to the appropriate genres of music in my small living room through a gainclone chip amp. Unfortunately I do not have the time or space for the cool horns that are often discussed and I am therefore looking for a driver that meet the following criteria.

-3" or 4"
-Works well in a bass reflex enclosure
-Cheap is good, but willing to pay for quality up to $50/driver
-Low frequency extension is a plus as my sub is not exactly musical

I have been looking at the Fostex FE83En. Seems to be popular for small bass reflex cabs, but I would like to know what other would suggest. Thanks, I really appreciate your input.

green heron 7th March 2012 09:32 PM

Fostex FE103En is a good choice given your limitations...plans are available for a bass reflex on Madisound's website.

chrisb 7th March 2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green heron (Post 2937479)
Fostex FE103En is a good choice given your limitations...plans are available for a bass reflex on Madisound's website.

FF85WK - but if you can accommodate the required box size (due to the large flange) CSS EL70 has the best LF performance that I know of in a driver this size/price range

mikje 7th March 2012 10:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some of the 3' Tang Band drivers in a TABAQ put out some great sound. It's an easy build too. I put two W3-879S's in a bipole arrangement and they are awesome. The 879 is no longer available, but the W3-881SI is supposed to be a good candidate for a TABAQ, and it's on clearance at Parts Express.
Tang Band W3-881SI 3" Speaker 299-113.
Mike

planet10 7th March 2012 10:55 PM

You can get maybe 200 Hz out of FE83En. Fe103 might give another octave on the bottom.

For your budget i'd echo Chris' recommend of EL70, a real over achiever, and i know of nothing of similar size that will do bass like it does.

Lots of enclosures vetted for it as well.

dave

fakeout 7th March 2012 11:17 PM

I want to ask a question even if it may sound strange. I have a pair of Creative T12 speakers for my computer. It's rated at 45 to 17,000hz. Is there a way that the Fostex FE83en, FF85WK or Fountek FR88EX can reproduce bass going down to 45hz without having to use a back loaded horn or some kind of tower?

I guess with the Creative T12, they're kind of "cheating" by putting a sort of woofer on the back of the speakers. I have to say I find they sound nice, just that I don't have a sound card which I believe isn't showing their potential.

vinylkid58 8th March 2012 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by planet10 (Post 2937559)
For your budget i'd echo Chris' recommend of EL70, a real over achiever, and i know of nothing of similar size that will do bass like it does.

Pretty impressive, when you don't feel there's anything missing listening to Pink Floyd DSOTM.

jeff

jonparkhurst 8th March 2012 12:33 AM

I am in the process of using a FR88ex in a design by Dave/Chris/Others? Scott??? I'll let you know. I have high hopes, I had some extra bamboo but not enough, so going with solid soft maple, looks almost walnutish. It will be a week or so as my significant other just had rotator cuff surgery... I am it for the munchkins... sorry behind.. but the weather is so nice..... 45 and sunny.

planet10 8th March 2012 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fakeout (Post 2937582)
I want to ask a question even if it may sound strange. I have a pair of Creative T12 speakers for my computer. It's rated at 45 to 17,000hz. Is there a way that the Fostex FE83en, FF85WK or Fountek FR88EX can reproduce bass going down to 45hz without having to use a back loaded horn or some kind of tower?

FE83 150-200. FF85 80-100, FR88 a little lower, EL70 will make 45.

dave

sci525 8th March 2012 06:07 AM

Thanks for all of your input. I think I'll go with the CSS EL70 in the Mar-Kel70 cabinet.

Dave, I have plenty of 3/4" MDF and 1/2" Birch ply. After dimensions are adjusted to maintain the internal volume, are there any other adjustments for substituting either of these building materials?

Thanks again,
Joe