Suggestions for 3" or 4" Fullrange Drivers? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th March 2012, 06:24 AM   #11
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I don't think you'd need to do any adjustmets.

I'd choose the BB over the MDF. In the Mar-Kel70 1.1 planset there are drawings for 12mm (2x12 can be substituted for the 18mm baffle)

dave
Old 8th March 2012, 12:05 PM   #12
fakeout is offline fakeout  Canada
diyAudio Member

If a driver's specs is 100 to 13,000hz, is it really possible to lower the bass to say 70hz or lower with a larger cabinet? Or, does a larger cabinet really produce only a larger "kick" giving you the impression of lower bass? In other words, when people say more bass with a larger cabinet, is it correct to assume that the driver cannot produce frequencies lower than 100hz and will only produce the impression of lower frequencies?
Old 8th March 2012, 04:56 PM   #13
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakeout View Post
If a driver's specs is 100 to 13,000hz, is it really possible to lower the bass to say 70hz or lower with a larger cabinet? Or, does a larger cabinet really produce only a larger "kick" giving you the impression of lower bass? In other words, when people say more bass with a larger cabinet, is it correct to assume that the driver cannot produce frequencies lower than 100hz and will only produce the impression of lower frequencies?

a few thoughts from a completely non scientific mind:

firstly, published "specs" for loudspeaker drivers are not subject to strictly monitored standards, and suffer from wide variations of accuracy / tolerance - and even the best are notoriously inadequate in predicting what the real world performance of said driver will be in any particular enclosure / room

secondly, even the most sophisticated software modeling tools can only provide approximations of how well a particular enclosure / alignment will "work" in a given real world room / application

very few drivers of the class under consideration simply "stop" their output at their rated extents, but rather roll off at varying slopes - there are any number of tools from use of multiple drivers, careful enclosure design, room placement , bandpass filtering and more, that can extend the "impression" of output at lower frequencies - and if you think you're hearing it, aren't you?
Old 8th March 2012, 05:42 PM   #14
fakeout is offline fakeout  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
a few thoughts from a completely non scientific mind:

firstly, published "specs" for loudspeaker drivers are not subject to strictly monitored standards, and suffer from wide variations of accuracy / tolerance - and even the best are notoriously inadequate in predicting what the real world performance of said driver will be in any particular enclosure / room

secondly, even the most sophisticated software modeling tools can only provide approximations of how well a particular enclosure / alignment will "work" in a given real world room / application

very few drivers of the class under consideration simply "stop" their output at their rated extents, but rather roll off at varying slopes - there are any number of tools from use of multiple drivers, careful enclosure design, room placement , bandpass filtering and more, that can extend the "impression" of output at lower frequencies - and if you think you're hearing it, aren't you?
Yeah, I'm not sure if there's a definitive answer for this but I was thinking about an experience I had with different computer speakers. The first I think was with a 3 watt per channel pair of Altec Lansing and the other the Logitech X-140. Now, I sold the X-140 because of the sound (and gave away the Altec Lansing) but I could hear a pigeon at the beginning of one of the episodes of 6 Feet Under but not with the Altec Lansing. Now I see the X-140 only go down to 80hz anyway. So, just to be clear, I meant are there sounds you can't hear from some speakers. Actually, I appreciate the fact that you answered, just trying to clarify what I meant.
Old 8th March 2012, 08:00 PM   #15
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
...but I could hear a pigeon at the beginning of one of the episodes of 6 Feet Under but not with the Altec Lansing. Now I see the X-140 only go down to 80hz anyway. So, just to be clear, I meant are there sounds you can't hear from some speakers.
Don't get frequency response (FR) mixed up with downward dynamic range (DDR). The sound of the pigeon is very unlikely to be outside the FR of either of your computer speakers, but the cheap drivers & electronics could eaily have poor enuff DDR to bury the pigeon in the "noise".

How low a speaker goes is related to Fs, Q, the kind of box, and the Vas. AND the room, and placement in the room.

Sometimes you can use the box to extend the response of a driver to below its Fs (it won't be a sealed box), and a smart designer can anticipate room-gain to get it there with less compromise, but there is no free lunch. Trying to maximize LF often leads to reduced mid/top performance. With a small driver in a small box it is often expedient to put a bit of a bump in the response to give the illusion that the box goes lower than it does. Part of the reason that this works is that much of what peoplethink of as bass is actually upper bass (80+ hz)

dave
Old 16th April 2012, 10:19 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

I'm looking into doing something similar to the Minirig, so I'm also in the market for a well performing 3"/4" driver.

Have anyone found out which driver is used for the Minirig?
Minirigs | Portable, Rechargeable Speaker
Old 17th April 2012, 01:11 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Don't forget that frequency response specs also include (implicitly or explicitly) a +/- Xdb portion as well. Your 100 -13000 is more likely 100 - 13000 +/- 3dB. Give typical rolloff, that speaker may do 70 Hz at 10dB down, whic would still be "hearable" at typical levels.

Quote:
Old 18th April 2012, 01:20 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

I've had great results with Alpair CHR 70.3 in a 10 ltr bass reflex! These are a best buy for under 50 bucks!

Larry

Hide this!Advertise here!