diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Full Range (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/)
-   -   Ladies & Gentlemen - The Emken (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/208347-ladies-gentlemen-emken.html)

JRKO 7th March 2012 06:45 PM

Ladies & Gentlemen - The Emken

2 Attachment(s)
With thanks to Dave (Planet10) I present the Emken. The biggest mini-Onken using the Eminence 12LTA

I'll post more pix later that I remembered to take during the build. They use a FT17H helper and sound, in a word, AMAZING. For detail and accuracy they are headphone like

Vix 7th March 2012 06:52 PM

:cool:

p.s. I must notice that it sounds a bit like an oxymoron " The biggest mini...". Anyway looks like something which is going to provide the sound of mini-monitors, but which could go loud enough that you never miss a bigger speaker. By the way, did you implement any notch filter? Does it have a nasal quality to the sound? How low does it go?

Thanx

chrisb 7th March 2012 06:56 PM

I think you can drop the "mini" - just not on your foot

Etocynned 7th March 2012 06:59 PM

Sick! Just SICK! looks really cool. what kind of cabinet treatment is planned, veneer? Fleckstone? Asphalt driveway paint?

Oh yeah the top and bottom vents are open? Unfinished perhaps?

JRKO 7th March 2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vix (Post 2937308)
:cool:

p.s. I must notice that it sounds a bit like an oxymoron " The biggest mini...". Anyway looks like something which is going to provide the sound of mini-monitors, but which could go loud enough that you never miss a bigger speaker. By the way, did you implement any notch filter? Does it have a nasal quality to the sound? How low does it go?

Thanx

Hehe yeah its not mini for sure. Its driven straight from a hifimediy 2050 via cat5 cable, no filter. The FT17H has a silver foil 1uF or 1.5uF to taste. No nasality that I notice. I have a wooden phase plug that really smooths things out.

I'm a massive fan of the big driver sound. These go plenty low (i need a cable to test an iPhone freq generator app i have). I had to get used to the bass as at first i thought it was light, but having listened longer I find it is in fact very accurate rather than boomy or weighted in the lower regions

JRKO 7th March 2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Etocynned (Post 2937316)
Sick! Just SICK! looks really cool. what kind of cabinet treatment is planned, veneer? Fleckstone? Asphalt driveway paint?

Oh yeah the top and bottom vents are open? Unfinished perhaps?

No idea on finish - cant stop long enough for listening!! all vents are open

JRKO 7th March 2012 07:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Back in 2 hours to reply some more. Got to play badminton :D:rolleyes:

Heres another pic to keep you hanging on ;)

chrisb 7th March 2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRKO (Post 2937326)
No idea on finish - cant stop long enough for listening!! all vents are open

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRKO (Post 2937329)
Back in 2 hours to reply some more. Got to play badminton :D:rolleyes:

Heres another pic to keep you hanging on ;)

I think he meant it looked like tops / bottoms weren't on yet, hence "unfinished" = not fully buttoned up ?

Godzilla 7th March 2012 07:25 PM

Neato! I'm curious to see pics of the finished speaker.

Zen Mod 7th March 2012 07:26 PM

you have some sims for that ...... ?

if P10 is OK with that - post plans , so we can sometimes make same ones , as quick'n'dirt (but more than good ) simple box ...... ;)

and - almost forgot - Fugly !

:clown: