Ladies & Gentlemen - The Emken

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
With thanks to Dave (Planet10) I present the Emken. The biggest mini-Onken using the Eminence 12LTA

I'll post more pix later that I remembered to take during the build. They use a FT17H helper and sound, in a word, AMAZING. For detail and accuracy they are headphone like

Attachments

• P1010476.jpg
    P1010476.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 7,255
:cool:

p.s. I must notice that it sounds a bit like an oxymoron " The biggest mini...". Anyway looks like something which is going to provide the sound of mini-monitors, but which could go loud enough that you never miss a bigger speaker. By the way, did you implement any notch filter? Does it have a nasal quality to the sound? How low does it go?

Thanx

Last edited:
:cool:

p.s. I must notice that it sounds a bit like an oxymoron " The biggest mini...". Anyway looks like something which is going to provide the sound of mini-monitors, but which could go loud enough that you never miss a bigger speaker. By the way, did you implement any notch filter? Does it have a nasal quality to the sound? How low does it go?

Thanx

Hehe yeah its not mini for sure. Its driven straight from a hifimediy 2050 via cat5 cable, no filter. The FT17H has a silver foil 1uF or 1.5uF to taste. No nasality that I notice. I have a wooden phase plug that really smooths things out.

I'm a massive fan of the big driver sound. These go plenty low (i need a cable to test an iPhone freq generator app i have). I had to get used to the bass as at first i thought it was light, but having listened longer I find it is in fact very accurate rather than boomy or weighted in the lower regions

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
p.s. I must notice that it sounds a bit like an oxymoron " The biggest mini...". Anyway looks like something which is going to provide the sound of mini-monitors, but which could go loud enough that you never miss a bigger speaker.

The original intention was that this would be another stab at a "mini" PA with hifi pretensions... from James feedback we have at least the hifi pretensions covered -- and the driver can't help but get better with treatment. Need to find a complementary bass driver for it that can be fitted in a simlar footprint box forPA use.

Zilla's comments on the 12LTA goosed me to move on the project. I have just found where my set were hiding and we will be doingour own build. I have phase plugs and will be using the Foster tweeter that came in the RadioShack tweeter pod.

dave

As an added bonus, it looks like it can be easily converted into something like Econowave project. That is, only if you don't like it as it is. Just keep another (external) crossover and waveguide handy, it could be quickly converted from one type to another :cool:

the driver can't help but get better with treatment. Need to find a complementary bass driver for it that can be fitted in a simlar footprint box forPA use.

Too right. The phase plug is a start and I'd be interested in the 'enable' process for them. They are hifi enough for me at the moment :D

But I would REALLY love to use the 2 Beta15's and plate amps I have tucked away. I was thinking a single unit with opposing drivers with an amp each tuned to taste.

When I'm back from the US I'll be hiring a venue to run em LOUD - I'll let you know how they do as a PA

some more pix for you guys

Last pic shows them as they are at the moment. They've been lined with wadded cotton. I've yet to cut the corners of the tops & bases - gotta get its done but listening is getting in the way :rolleyes:

Attachments

• P1010468.jpg
    P1010468.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 951
  • P1010466.jpg
    P1010466.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 989
  • P1010461.jpg
    P1010461.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 1,007
  • P1010460.jpg
    P1010460.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 2,633
  • P1010462.jpg
    P1010462.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 2,668
  • P1010451.jpg
    P1010451.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 3,035
  • P1010452.jpg
    P1010452.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 3,104
  • P1010456.jpg
    P1010456.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 3,187
  • P1010483.jpg
    P1010483.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 1,270
Last edited:
can you post up some further details on this entire project? i am currently planning various enclosures for a 12" fane driver that (in a thread on here) was adjudged very similar to the driver you have used. i'd be interested in seeing stuff like predicted performance etc and the possibility of modifying this for my fane drivers.

i too have found the detail that my fanes (in free air) produce is very impressive, combined with what feels to be a huge sound stage, they fill a room without being 'loud' which is a very nice aural experience but currently lacking in bass.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.