Ladies & Gentlemen - The Emken

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Things are well JKRO.
Now they are pointing parallel, about 4inches off the back wall, with the 'green zone' venting and some extra damping material, they sound a lot better.
Off-axis position was the single biggest revelation, they went from howling, screaming closed in makers of huge volume to fairly civil speakers.
Damping is going to require buying some of the denser material, I have 2 layers below the bottom of the Lta that wrap round to the side over the vents and 3 layer on the top / bottom and back (which wrap onto the sides) and a single layer on either side of the driver brace.
I will live with them as they are for a week and then think about glueing in the venting and lower cross brace, which I'm sure will stop some lower mid sounds leaking out the vents and kill a Gigantanormus honk right in the 'Cello' voice range. I will also install the terminal cup and re-wire with solid core.
They image well enough, some times sounding just a little too huge for 'realism'.
Voices, on the whole sound good, just odd instances of wooden nasality or chestyness.
Bass is all there, test tones sound solid down to 55 / 50htz and there's enough below that to satisfy all but a bass fiend.
Attack! Not helped by amplification renowned for sounding fast on leading edges of notes, some times the Em's sound like they are tripping up / trying too hard to be fast.
Class A is the way to go f'sure, for Emkenning I'm thinking Zen V4 - though for my next speaker build F5 / ACA would make more sense.
I dunno, there might be a better flat available soon, luckily with the same landlord, bigger lounge space, bigger all round in fact........
Holst's Planets, Jupiter, played by Atlanta SO, Stunning!

When I was a kid, TV was considered a treat, so I spent a lot of time reading, drawing and listening to music. Planets was a once a week treat, turned up loud and appreciated.
Tis not quite the same as listening to it being played by an R.A.F. band.
First music I bought for myself was The Beatles White Album on pre-recorded cassette, neither parental unit would let me have Floyds The Wall.
A few years later, Tomorrows World science show showed the world a CD, plastered it with jam, cleaned it off and put it into a player..... and lordy, it still worked!!!

When I was a kid, TV was considered a treat

Happy days!! same in our house. I didn't see StarWars until i was a teenager :eek:

I'd much prefer to read one of the 4 or so books I have on the go and listen to music than watch something. We have not had TV for 12yrs now - theres nothing on anyway and we just watch what we want on DVD

That way I can buy at least 4 CD's & some vinyl every month :cloud9:

Me either.
I haven't bought a single CD this year, cheap vinyl is quite abundant - so I buy that instead and a very kind friend transcribes it to FLAC for me.
Am VERY careful to avoid the 'remastered' stuff though - it sounds nearly as bad off vinyl as it does off a beer mat.

Haven't tried listening to beer mats yet.

I keep finding vinyl at 50p each at charity shops.

How well they play can be hit-and-miss, but for me (being 18 years old) part of the charm of vinyl is the occasional crackle/thump. Nostalgia is a strange thing.
Of course, I've given up playing the really knackered ones.

Sounds like these drivers are worth playing around with - at ~£40 each, they're much cheaper than most.

Chris

Time for an update:
After a week of fiddlin 'n' fussin, I've reached the conclusion that the EmKen enclosure is good.
The 12Lta does all the dynamic, image throwing well.......
But it has a certain hardness to its reproduction that makes it fatiguing.
Our friend JKRO has said he will see if his man will make me a pair of phase plugs, my next step is to seriously look into things like 'pluffing my wizzers', EnAble and shouting back at them with choice North of England colloquialisms.

Its a concern with all drivers as far as I know. Emken might be a big box, just remember the size of the drive unit.
I dont know what the sound of the 'step' should / does sound like, no one seems to describe it just 'you will need it'.
Am waiting till I get phase plugs and see what that change does first, will start getting the stuff together for basket damping as well.

Most people use 'Baltic Birch' which is void free, but due to problems of finding it at 'reasonable' cost, I went for WBP - yes, its got voids, but considering this is a beta I thought better of shelling out for marine (which also has voids).
If with every thing sorted out and the extra braces they sound good and i can live with them, I will invest the money and build again with BB ply - if these don't start to rattle I may finish this pair.
These are big boxes, don't kid yerself, due to the 45deg bevel on the front, they appear to be smaller than they are and in my room, backed against the wall, they don't intrude too much more than my out-going boxes.
*just finished gaming - the Lta's don't throw the right image - a second pair of LTA's will be ordered shortly........... which will give me something to listen to when these get treatment.....which is bound to happen.

What would be considered reasonable for a 5'x5'.

What part of the world are you in Etocynned?
Here in England we mostly deal in 8ft x 4ft - I find BBply a few days ago...... £92 a sheet
OUCH!
The WBP I bought was £40 a sheet.
You need 2x 8x4 sheets for EmKen, I think somewhere in this thread it says you need 5 x 5ftx5ft per enclosure.
How loud can you shout OUCH?

I've had them pulled off the wall by 18 inches this afternoon and no change in the bass.
They only sound bright if one is mad enough to toe them in.
While they were off the walls I put more stuffing in them, now all internal surfaces are treated, some of the surfaces have a layer of very thick and expensive real wool Wilton under the felt. One thought I did have was that my felt is not dense enough and maybe there are reflections through the vents and back through the 'Round Window' (English peeps older than 35 years old will get the pun), so I shall be putting absorbent material on the inside of the basket legs when I pull them out this weekend for basket damping - I found Decorators Caulk for £1/$0.60 a tube while looking for a gouge chisel in the home improvement dept of a local discount shop.
If we get fine weather this weekend, they will have the vent extensions and cross braces glued in, more felted surfaces might help matters.
11 days of EmKen and I'm still liking what I hear so far.
Not missing not having a tweeter either!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.