Ladies & Gentlemen - The Emken

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, the wood saga has finally come to an end.
The numpty helped me load my goods into the van and handed me an envelope......
"A small something by way of apology"
Diesel for van paid, beers for the lads who didn't manage to get the wood first time round. and a bit left over for a bottle of wine to go with the Bass we're having for tea.
I also managed to get the chippy who's going to do the cutting 2 private jobs,so there's no fee for my job.
I had to write a very succinct email to the guy, saying that I wanted my wood back or the Police would get involved as he was committing theft.
So, with a bit of luck and a few days of good weather, I should shortly be EmKen enriched.
If their completed in time, they might even get a public airing as sound reinforcement at a screening of a new local grown surf film.

*burps*
That's HAD Sea Bass, cooked in a light garlic butter,a few fresh 'urbs,, under the grill wrapped in foil, served with new taters and salad......with a bottle of white to wash it down.
The friend I went fishing with landed a beautiful 3lb'er after work, 5th cast at his secret spot just round the the corner from Falmouth. Strange how this year they're so plentiful and of good size.

How long do you reckon you've got on your 12lta's now? they must be pretty run in by now so you should get instant gratification in a cabinet :D

We're getting a good size selection but I'm seeing mostly schoolies at the moment. Between 4 of us yesterday we caught 20 big mackerel, 4 gurnard, 1 garr and a starfish!

Gurnards went back, 3 mackerel were dinner 3 are bait and the garr got so tangled in my mates feathers we had to dispatch it, so its bait as well :D

This 11lb 4oz lump was caught from Brighton marina recently. That weight was 6hrs after the catch too!!

Attachments

• bass.jpg
    bass.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 258
Hours on the 12lta's......
*scratches chin
Some where near 100hrs, maybe a few more than a 100. I go to work and put on sweep cd or whatever at low level, game through em and have em on for back ground noise. I noticed the change strait away when I removed the dust cap, horridly shrill (ear bleeding) in the upper freq, removal sorted this out. Then I found and ripped my test tones, letting the cones flap about with 10 - 40 sweep for 1/2 an hour while I walked to the shop and back, saw them go from very retentive sounding to throwing a bit of an image.
9hrs of them playing sweeps and a tune under blankets, face to face and out of phase got them smoother. That was weeks ago, I noted it in this thread.
Even with them propped against my current speakers on the floor, Holly Cole's dog as recorded on Temptation walks past at a realistic height, Ms. Cole sounding surprisingly deep. Even better is the rock band Bhodazaffa, their drummer gets really excited in one song and gives the snare a right whack, the stick bouncing 3 times, the last with an almost comical ping.
For Sim Racing, I'm very very tempted to buy a second pair and mount them in 3ft x 2ft baffles with a base and plonk em on my stands either side of my tv, the sim not needing much in the over all response area, but rather a sense of space. There is a definite sense of Inside the car and Outside the car - when one runs over a bit of gravel thats been dragged on track, I can hear it ping on the floor pan where as marbles make a rubbery thump.

Not much progress made on construction today, Matt the carpenter had been digging tools out, making a job sheet and laying out on ply for router jigs.
Tomorrow the templates get made, then wood cutting, Matts going to do the front baffle - T-nuts and routing, I will be doing the holey brace and we might even get the sides together.

It would make sense if I did.
44mm dia means I'd only need to send a bit 100mm x 50mm (1 pair) and what ever length your man needs to chuck up with spare for parting off, best to ask your man what he needs though. Material can be posted t'morro or Saturday / early next week.
Fire me a pm and let me know.

Turn them ? Seriously?
Do you have a drill press? Or even a electric drill and a bench vise?
If so: insert a screw into a suitable block of wood. Chuck the thing into either type of Drill. Then using a Rasp 'lathe' the bit of wood to rough shape. Once passably close, Use reducing grades of Sandpaper to final shape then polish. Dip the finished piece into a tin of Poly U varnish, hang to dry and jobs done.. except for the final fitting.
With luck maybe a half to an hour's work for 2.. Kinda fun work too.
Using a cardboard(?) shape template helps immeasurably in shaping and consistency.

Oh, I know how to do it without a lathe, I have scar's from electric drills and bits of wood/metal/composites.
I'm sure that whatever I pay for these to be done by a wood turner will be worth it.
I could always take a mould and cast some in resin with metal filler and/or glitter.

Welll.. I Can only postulate that yer dead Sloooow :).
Possibly using unsuitable tools?
'Turned' more than few of these shapes and a half hour / piece is an honest, ample, reasonable time frame.
It takes mere minutes with a healthy cutting tool and a decent spindle speed.
Most of the time is spent in polishing / prepping for the Urethane Sheep Dip.
Possibly? some of the exotic and imo 'silly' Exotic (endangered :rolleyes: hardwoods may seriously resist cutting implements and slow things down ?
Dunno..as Fir has always been 'good enough' for my projects
A premade template is a wonderous time saver, I've found

My lump of hardwood was found washed up on the beach,its been out of the water for about 5yrs now. About a year ago, I took a smoothing plane to it with, fresh edge on the iron went blunt after half the reveal.
The figure is Very wild.
I'll destroy the teeth on the saw when it gets cut.
Not the kind of thing to mount in a drill press imho

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.