Ladies & Gentlemen - The Emken

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
he may well end up with some thing stuffed in his port.

Kind of like an aperiodic face? Check out Kyle's pix and take heart. You will get there

In the meantime I'm off beach fishing - 0530 sun breaks cover, 0604 sunrise, 0800 high tide, I've got ragworm, bluey, mackerel a pennel rig, 2 & 3 hook flappers, pulley rig and a 2 arm boom rig.

Bet you I dont catch a damn thing :D

based on their placement I guess they have less restrictive than the original vent.

Did you block the original and is this tuning for open spaces ie. PA work?

PS forgot to mention that although I didn't catch anything this morning we did see a seal which was very weird

Well.......
Finally managed to get hold of 'numpty'.......
'Hi Mr. Gray, its Darrell, have you cut my wood yet?'
*Monday being a national holiday here in the UK
'No, I did get your voice mail this morning, my work phone was off Friday because my mother passed early hours that day.'
'Ah, I'm sorry to hear of your loss, Though I am now really really upset that it's taken near 5 weeks for nothing to happen, so I've made arrangements to have the wood picked up and some one else will cut for me.' (so I decide to lay it on really thick any ways) 'The company in Canada is most dis-pleased with me, as these were to be built and appraised before they took them to an Area HiFi show, the designer had to butcher his build to bring them to the possible spec of build that I should have made, not the ideal thing as these were messy looking to the public / potential builders / customers.'
'Oh Gods, I am so sorry'
'I did tell you when we spoke face to face that this project was part of a larger development scheme AND there was a specific time frame.'
'Oh Gods, all I can offer you is to have the wood cut by this Thursday free of charge and deliver said to your doorstep as way of compensation.'
'Well, IF your good to your word, I hope to hear from you Thurs to arrange to meet the delivery outside the village shop, I can put money on you not find my address even with instructions....... If not Dave from Redruth market will be round with a man and a van to pick the wood up on Friday.'
*Dave from the market being 'affiliated' to local biker and other 'special interest' clubs.
Mr.Grey, now really stressed 'I will phone you Thurs mid-day and will deliver before 1pm.'
I ended the call by telling him not to botch the job OR ELSE!
Sad really.
I then got a visit from the chap I'd arranged to have cut if Mr.Grey failed,told him what had transpired......
'If he does the cut and delivers, I'll help you get them together and they should be done by the end of the weekend - if he dont, I'll cut AND assemble them by next Tuesday for FREE if you give me give me your word that you'll give future work to me'
So again, we will wait and see what happens.

Interesting to see how you modified the porting, I did spend some time pondering how you would do this. The only way I could think of was chopping the sides off then chopping the inner wall down.
LOL, When I saw the first picture I instantly thought 'Blimey, those are HUGE!'
My home being a 'man cave' and my girlfriends home being a place of nice...... I WANT SUB WOOFERS.
*build time would now be how long it takes to accumulate the parts and assemble

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Interesting to see how you modified the porting, I did spend some time pondering how you would do this. The only way I could think of was chopping the sides off then chopping the inner wall down.

Took me a while to get to where i did, the elegant way. Even thou it took Chris close to a couple hors to route the new vent exits, exploring & dismissing other approaches took longer.

dave

Do the new vents end in a blunt 90deg? wouldn't a beveled edge on each wall help?

Also I've been wondering how the speakers would handle being placed in a corner? ('no one puts Emken in the corner') I know they are good to go against the wall......

Also I'm considering adding 2x subwoofers :D

Sippy - Good news!!!

Last edited:
Reply to posts 448 and 449, lowest first:

I thought on seeing 'we could stand a few more betas' - I can help here, I can get all the bits easlily, I know people in 'pro' audio', can get these tested in their intended application and as some guy (JKRO) enjoys them in a home setting, why not offer my services and ears to help make something good be better AND learn a bunch in the process.
And get a pair of new speakers, which I need.
I signed the form and the drawings came, so I considered myself part of a team to aid development as I will bring more than one opinion in the end.
I read in another thread a post by yourself that 'the only other build has stalled' and further on in said noted that there was no further response from the 'other builder', if you were contacted in private by the person I do not know, but I with my high standards / morals feel it correct to inform all as to what's going on, I do not wish to be seen as a 'flake'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sippy
'The company in Canada is most dis-pleased with me
Now that is surely a fib
That was a fib - maybe you are dis-pleased, but the 'numpty' don't know that and nor do I.
I can understand why you might be, but hope that you would not.

Yes, finding the way to do things can take some thrashing out, the engineer I first started to apprentice under would tell me every day before before work commenced 'if you think every way through and it takes you a month, and you do it right first time, your time is not wasted'.
You found an elegant and simple solution 'applauds'

JKRO,
Try moving your Em's towards the corners 1ft at a time, some times hard in the angle works wonders, other times room nodes get so excited speakers can sound like mud, this could / might be offset by positioning them say - 1ft from the rear wall and 2ft in from the side.
I had time with a pair of Harbeth HL2's,once in the right place, the room stopped existing, six inches either side of 'ideal' and I might have well been listening to a single ear bud!
These may be hard to shift about, but it could be worth the effort, the very least you learn a bit about 'speaker positioning - always a good thing.

Dave
Just amused

I'm glad

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.