Ladies & Gentlemen - The Emken

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a 17" MacBook (would be hard to live with a smaller screen)

EmKen will be playing at diyFEST. May even get a chance to fix the vents for non-wall placement.

I really miss my 17" MBP - only a 2.4 dual core & 8GB ram but had a hi def matte screen - same pixels as a 23" monitor. Still I've got a 27" 2.8Ghz quad core i7 (hyperthreading) with 16Gb ram now. Just cant take it with me ;)

Will diyFEST get its usual writeup?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I really miss my 17" MBP - only a 2.4 dual core & 8GB ram but had a hi def matte screen - same pixels as a 23" monitor.

Same except 4 GB RAM (SSD thou)

Still I've got a 27" 2.8Ghz quad core i7 (hyperthreading) with 16Gb ram now.

Colour me jealous

Will diyFEST get its usual writeup?

I expect

dave

I made the switch from 10k rpm Raptor black whirlie drives to ssd's and dual boot with a hybrid. Easier heat management with SS in a tower as you can let em cook up a bit more.
Rest of system is Asus Republic of Gamers stryker ex2 board and chipset, 2.66 quad with enough cooling for up to 40% clocking, 8 gig ram, graphics bridges are spec'd for single, dual or triple sli 16bit - I'm running dual 570ti's, 850w psu and liquid cooled.
I got offered an I7 about 6months ago, which a friend bought and has had nothing but trouble with it, when it does work properly, its that much of a leap up from mine and cost 4 times as much.
Obviously mine is a gamers system.
Macs are really nice....... till they break.
Laptops are 'ok'........till they break.

I want to take out my cd/dvd drive and swap in a SSD for system usage. Then use the 1TB internal as scratch/storage. I've got 3TB for music/films and 3TB as a backup of that. All that will be moving into a G5 tower to serve as a server

Dave you can do the same with your 17" MBP - remove the superdrive and add a 1TB storage drive. I used to use a pmcia? slot card to give me 2 motherboard connections - SUPER SPEEDY!!:D

Macs are really nice....... till they break.

Yup Macs are really nice - and they rarely breakdown. I have a MDD G4 dual 867Mhz as a music/file server - how many 2002 windows machines are still working? Thats why residual value for PC's drops like Facebook shares and you still pay a premium for Macs of the same age.

It horses for courses of course. Same as I like the Emken's and some dont/wont

Sippy, you gotta tear someone a new one about the time your cutting is taking:mad:

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
...a G5 tower to serve as a server

That's what i have. Saved from being sent to recycle it. I have an SSD for it, but i found out, to my dissappointment, that it is not supported.

you can do the same with your 17" MBP - remove the superdrive and add a 1TB storage drive.

Not something i'm interested in, use my superdrive often. Besides my G5 PowerMac Desktop (not the same as above), i have an iMac G5 (20", office iTunes + Skype) & a TimeCapsule and myriad spare drives. As soon as the ethernet card arrives i'm going to cram all 3 empty bays of a MacPro i was given (because the on-board EN failed) to use as a file server/NAS and T/S measure machine. No shortage of Macs or disk space around here (wife has a MacBook & godsone has a G5 iMac (20").

The dual mono PP-1C inspired EL84 amp will reside in a PowerMac G5 chassis :D

dave

Hehe you have a few more than I do but I'm in a 4room appt and one of those is the bathroom (wife banned me from having a screen in there attached to the server:( ) Still at my height, I had 1 in the lounge, 1 in the bedroom and 2 in the cupboard/study aint bad :D

Now its imac, G4 and 2 appleTVs

I was thinking of using the G4 case for an amp.........

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.