Ladies & Gentlemen - The Emken

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Two of those on the back, a foot on the front, and a telescoping handle to drag it around like luggage!

KM

I like those wheels Chris! I was thinking about popping a couple of static wheels an inch or two from the base on the back with a small flip-down handle on back at the top. Just lean it backwards and voila!.....

....a matching L & R set of Emken Luggage

At approx 1000mm finished height, a simple recessed (not telescoping) or even surface mounted D-Pull handle would be more than sufficient I think - also some SS wear strips around bottom perimeter wouldn't hurt.

I wouldn't want to lift them unaided too many times (building them is enough of a workout)

BTW when is diyFEST? I counting on Dave & Chris' design & build skills to wow everyone!
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clubs-events/209401-9th-annual-vancouver-island-diyfest-2012-a.html

there's always lots of "wow" factor from a wider range of crazies than just those planet10 guys

Nice, thanks for the link, but not heavy duty enough for me ;): Penn-Elcom W2100 4" Recessed Caster w/Blue Wheel 330 lb. 262-278

GM

thanks, the others were just the first link I found for the type I had in mind- the blue synthetic rubber is certainly more durable for heavy use

I'm guessing that these will end up weighing less than 100lbs when completed, but of course it's impact that causes real problems, and casters, handles and latches can't over-built.

Correct and why I chose 1000 lb rated castors for my heavy cabs since concrete steps has to be traversed. Ditto for grab handles: a pair of one piece real steel industrial drawer/cabinet handles mounted with machine screws through a full width inside 2x4 brace and secured with fender washers and nylok nuts.

Unfortunately, increasing decrepitude now only allows me to move them around on flat ground and must use an inexpensive large wheel hand truck/old motorcycle tie-downs since I can't justify the cost of a proper large appliance transporter. The 300 lb casters would be sufficient now though.

GM

I hope you enjoy them Dave. Try not to get caught up in the reverberant sound they produce stock. They won't sound like the silky smooth Fostex. But they will sound big and produce a vibrant sound that smooths considerably when cutting out the dustcap. Adding phase plugs only smooths things further. Wish i could hear them in these new cabinets. I happen to love the 12lta... Size matters!

Oh my poor babies!!! Once they were world exclusives, unique in the galaxy!

Tomorrow they will be unique only in europe, and alas interest is shown in old Blighty herself!

Soon they will be...................dare I say it..................just speakers :bawling::bawling::bawling:

Feeling nervous now. I hope you like the fruits of your design and Chris' labour

Oh my poor babies!!! Once they were world exclusives, unique in the galaxy!

Tomorrow they will be unique only in europe, and alas interest is shown in old Blighty herself!

Soon they will be...................dare I say it..................just speakers :bawling::bawling::bawling:

Feeling nervous now. I hope you like the fruits of your design and Chris' labour

paint racing stripes on yours. get in first on keeping them unique.

LOL.......
I live in Cornwall, which is still 'Terra Incognita' as far as Europe and most of the British isles are concerned.
So, as far as uniqueness is concerned, your fair safe, unless I move back to my native Yorkshire.
Me, I've just come back from buying lamp oil for my tilly, theres gonna be some wreaking tonight*.
Damn, I wasn't supposed to let that slip - I'M GOING BASS FISHING, HONEST!

*reference to Jamaica Inn

Bass fishing it is then! I hope everyone loves them and many are built. They are more complex than pretty much any other 12LTA cabinet but in my view, well worth the effort.

Its just not the same as 'they're the ONLY build of a secret design by a tortured math genius trapeze artist, who lives deep in the woods of Victoria BC with a clowder (collective noun) of cats and hosts secret annual communes for home built monkey coffin fanciers and who can be heard late at night under the full moon howling to the 10th planet.....'*

Now back to business. What did Dave & Chris think of them?

*'Most' of this information is in Dave's public profile - the rest.......well I took an artistic liberty or three :D And darn it I wish I could make it for the 9th Annual Vancouver Island diyFEST 2012

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Had a quick listen in Chris' shop today. Less than ideal conditions. iPod (with lossless files, and external DAC i believe, into a 40 yr olf HK 430 receiver, up on work bench far from any boundary reinforcement, and in a cavernous space -- Chris took a picture which ill post later).

After a couple songs i did an in place dustcapectomy which improved things. They still only have some 5 hrs on them.

So some comments:
1/ they remind me of some of the things i don't like about the Silver Iris.
2/ current tuning is suitable for pushed up near a wall in a smalliish room ... for PA work tuning will need to be higher (i'm going to do a sheet which explains and illustrates different tuning for different apps.
3/ they need a tweeter to bring some balance
4/ ATM optimal listening distance is 15-20m (middle of the room)

These will need more run-in, a tweeter and installing up the mountain before proper evaluation.

dave

So some comments:
1/ they remind me of some of the things i don't like about the Silver Iris.
2/ current tuning is suitable for pushed up near a wall in a smalliish room ... for PA work tuning will need to be higher (i'm going to do a sheet which explains and illustrates different tuning for different apps.
3/ they need a tweeter to bring some balance
4/ ATM optimal listening distance is 15-20m (middle of the room)

These will need more run-in, a tweeter and installing up the mountain before proper evaluation.

1/ I've never listened to 'Silver Iris', what dont you like about these?
2/ I have a smallish room at 18ft x 13ft x 8ft 6inches - current 2 1/2 way rear ported BR, 90dB/1w@1m, 14inches from rear wall, listening distance 12ft, can sometimes sound 'dis-jointed' in the bass in a fairly well damped room. In the past I've had large-ish sealed 2way stand mounters hard up against the rear wall and liked the sound alot..... some how the bass sounds more direct / tighter. So against a wall would be peachy for me.
Tuning sheet sounds like fun.
3/ I did read all I could find on this forum about the 12lta, Godzilla and JRKO's 12lta in 3cf box thread was most informative, so was expecting the need for a tweeter. Fostex ft17h is the prime suspect I guess.
4/ I woke up this am and my g/f & I appear to have food poisoning - looked at Davids post and in a moment of confused delirium read: '15 - 20m ......... up the mountain' then wondered 'Is Canada metric or imperial' then thought: It must be meters, as no one in their right mind would listen at 15miles.
Sigh.
Now to phone and email Tesco to tell em their 'X' soup is trying to kill my g/f and I

Still smiling (just)
Darrell

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.