Ladies & Gentlemen - The Emken

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Almost the same as the Fane, but with ~1/2 dB less peaking.

dave

So it's interchangeable?

I'd be willing to give it a go just for theheckovit.
The silver iris stuff is nice enough in OB, but there's nothing wrong with experimenting.

I have buildt some bass reflex boxes for the tang band 4" 655sh orwhatsitcalled, with relatively wide slots pointing up! That was a very good experience, just for fun i dropped the dampening material, i never added any later on, bass extension was tuned to 60hz -3db, 100hz -1db.
If the Onken designs give the same feel and presence those small 4" tangbands give me it would be a blast to listen to.

How good is the Eminence 12LTA as pure mid in the 100-1,200 Hz range?

I am intrigued by the very positive reports of the Eminence 12LTA. I know it is slightly off topic, but I would very much like to hear from those of you who have used the Eminence 12LTA as a pure mid driver - for instance in the 100-1,200 Hz range and compared to more expensive alternatives.

Does the 12LTA compete with the very best mid drivers in terms of clarity, resolution, and natural sounding voices?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards
Peter

>>> Does the 12LTA compete with the very best mid drivers in terms of clarity, resolution, and natural sounding voices?

No. It's slower and less detailed than the best (compared to the more expensive Fostex and TB i have) but OVERALL as a wide range driver, with help on top and bottom, it excels in scale, size, dynamics and relative smoothness making those more detailed drivers sound smaller in comparison.

Pick your poison... and ENJOY!

Zilla

No. It's slower and less detailed than the best (compared to the more expensive Fostex and TB i have) but OVERALL as a wide range driver, with help on top and bottom, it excels in scale, size, dynamics and relative smoothness making those more detailed drivers sound smaller in comparison.

That's about the perfect description Zilla! I fell in love with the big driver sound some time ago.

The 12LTA leaps into music with both feet - kinda like a kid jumps into a puddle with pure, joyful abandon. Then it romps away like a lovable, crazy & dumb dog chases someone else's ball. (but you don't have to clean up/apologize afterwards)

In my notes during construction a few pages back, I noted that the Emken cabinet seems to reign in some of the bloom that the driver is capable of in other situations. Its a tad dryer, but all the better for it as none of its STAR qualities are clipped.

My room is smaller than the 'typical' listening room would be for a speaker this size, but I love the the latent power, 'big-block', big driver sound, especially at lower volumes as its all there. At moderate levels its got power and speed with the feeling of gobs more in reserve. Thats because at 96dB(?) it HAS more in reserve. They will scare the pants off you (works in US meaning but better in my native English meaning of 'pants':D) if you get carried away with the knob:eek::eek:

Hi Godzilla and JRKO,

Thanks a lot for your replies!

Best regards
Peter

>>> Does the 12LTA compete with the very best mid drivers in terms of clarity, resolution, and natural sounding voices?

Zilla

I'm back. Got home yesterday.

Just woke up - its 0825 Tuscon time.......

1625 local time!!!! :spin:thank crunchy I don't have to work. Looks like sleeping on the plane for the first time ever screwed my normal, exhaustion based jetlag recovery system, right up.

On a happier note the Emkens are soothing my sore head and my cat has forgiven me abandoning him to the in-laws......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.