Ladies & Gentlemen - The Emken

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
>>> and its vent harmonics 'color' its mids...

Oh, that sounds interesting. Who doesn't want a little color? I love a bit of personality with my speakers. Thanks GM.

I wonder if an Onken falls into the same territory as a Karlson (never had the pleasure of hearing either) by having its own distinctive personality (with its fans and detractors).

A bit of personality is fun IMO. Seemingly in the same vein as the titular speakers, the old Philips Monitor 8 for 9710 also appears Onken-ish to me, and I know from experience that the driver does have personality. In my Karlson 12", 9710 did well.

http://speaker.kir.jp/hoka-f/monito-8.htm

Karlson vs Onken: at least one of them seems to have some at large acceptance... ;)

IG

Hi all

very nice project ! Thanks for sharing !

although it's an unusual sized driver (for me), I wonder what is the thinkness of the plywood you used for the enclosure ?
Just as "fit by eye" it looks very thin to me.. ( or the driver is so large ;) )

And an estimate on the hight - something about 80 to 90cm to put the tweeter "on top" - is that right ?

Have fun with your nice speaker !
Thanks

correction, those who've seen Dave's cabinetmaking handiwork will understand:

The design calls for 18mm high quality ply (MDF is insufficient -- makes good vent spacers thou). Once the braces are in it should be sufficient... i'll tell you whether i'm happy once we have done ours... if it doesn't satisfy me, we'll add more braces before we increase panel thickness.

dave

What are they like off axis? Much beaming?

If they are FLAT to around 60hz i am sold! (Got a sensitive sub, Don't like eq much.)

Larger drivers tend to beam at higher freq. I have them with no toe in at the moment and the sweet spot is fairly narrow. This should widen significantly with toe in and moving the super tweeters around also helps with fine tuning

As for 60hz its loud and proud using this web page - http://www.ronelmm.com/tones/

It goes much lower too but its 0730am here so the neighbours wont appreciate met trying to simulate 32hz at high volume!!

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
There is always some estimation going on with the "miniOnken" sims. A slightly peaked response which gets damped down by the "R" in the vents.

12LTA should roll of smoothly with F3 est at 55 Hz, F10 40 Hz.

Put the Fane in and you get a couple or 3 more Hz extension buy +2 or 3 dB peaking at 60 Hz. If you took it further you could slide some open cel foam into all the slots and get something usable.

dave

...Was thinking about the Hawthorne iris 10"
I have the Sterling version of this driver.

OB's are nice and dandy and all, but it would be nice to be able to cut away maybe 1 or 2 drivers per channel. I would also be able to have a cleaner signal path with less junk and eq in general.

The 'ken variations for different types of drivers are not really dependent on a fullrange is it? Should be possible to make something more fun with maybe a 10-15" coaxial setup, it would still be point source, you'd need a crossover, but you can easily get away with something like the passive line level designs from marchand.

...Was thinking about the Hawthorne iris 10"
I have the Sterling version of this driver.

The 'ken variations for different types of drivers are not really dependent on a fullrange is it?

Theres the obvious 2" size difference - that and every 'ken box is designed very specifically around a specific full range driver and its own peculiarities. As far as I know its more a happy coincidence if it works with other drivers but I'm probably wrong :rolleyes:(?Dave?)

The Hawthorne is a tweaked Eminence DC driver I believe. Where does the crossover happen? Is the 10" driver a 'mid/bass' driver or a bass driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.