Ladies & Gentlemen - The Emken - Page 62 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th November 2012, 10:59 PM   #611
sippy is offline sippy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Yup, FT17H with 1.5uF to 3.9uF, fine regards relative output, just not sounding 'right'.
I even tried differing wire configurations - copper both solid and stranded, solid silver and silver plated copper, twisted and un-twisted. Interestingly, the few multi driver speakers I've heard since sounded good.... well, as good as these things can sound considering differing systems, just some what less immediate then the EmKen.
Our ears are cut from a different bolt of cloth is all I can say.
I am very interested to hear the effects of a low damping factor and current drive amp can do for these. ACA is highly tempting as its a 'One Stop' package - then there is the Zen Amp articles, a chance to learn - BUT then again, I know where there's one of those lil FatMan amps going for a very small song.......
Old 14th November 2012, 11:12 PM   #612
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
for cables I'm running cat5 24awg solid core with a solid metal shield and central earth wire. I strip the ends and twist all the solid colours together and all the striped together so the twisted pairs remain inside the sheath

Whats your cabling?

Also I've heard that later model ft17h have a hf drop off very different to what the spec sheet states

I run my ft17h's on the outside of centre to widen the presentation
Old 15th November 2012, 12:23 AM   #613
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKO View Post
for cables I'm running cat5 24awg solid core with a solid metal shield and central earth wire. I strip the ends and twist all the solid colours together and all the striped together so the twisted pairs remain inside the sheath
Try a single pair of (solid) strands pulled out from the bundle.

dave
Old 15th November 2012, 12:24 AM   #614
diyAudio Member

Ready for the list?
Solid Cores:
1mm twin and earth with earth core removed
1.5mm as above
1mm and 1.5mm twin and earth, insulated cores twisted anything from 1 twist in 1ft to 1 twist in 3 inches.
1mm T & E, 2 + and 2- cores in a '4 way plait'..... will post pic
0.7mm solid hook-up wire, 1 twist in 6 inches
0.6mm solid silver insulated with teflon tube, 1 twist in 8 inches

Stranded Cores:
13 amp twin conductor flex from a dead vacuum cleaner
14ga Monster cable
10g Monster cable.
10g unbranded but silver plated 'monster' type 'stuff'.
8g car audio, 50% copper strands/50% silver plated copper strands.
'unknown' csa Expensive silver litz, multiple lengths per conductor, ptfe insulation inside some form of pvc outer casing, might be oversized heat shrink, will ask owner.
Cat5 plenum, various amounts of stranding - interestingly this sounds horrid, not just to my ears but also to the ears of the guy who loaned it to me.

Best balance so far is:
Cyrus: either gauge twin and earth inside and out
Kenwood: either gauge twin and earth inside with vacuum cleaner flex outside

Yet to try home brew 4 way plait inside and out.
Will make a well aimed guess at my FT17H's being the latest type, will have to phone Wilmslow Audio to find out.
Am also slowly putting money away for the components to build a pair of Pi6 constant directivity corner horns which use Eminence PSD2002 and the new production Pi270 horn profile, will hopefully have these items to play around with in the late new year.
Maybe I'm sat too close for the Ft's and the Lta's to integrate properly..... who knows, all I know is I'm still having fun.
Old 15th November 2012, 03:08 AM   #615
diyAudio Member

>>> all I know is I'm still having fun.

And that's what it's all about.

Zilla
Old 2nd December 2012, 04:40 PM   #616
diyAudio Member

Two days ago one of my musician friends called round, he's a guitarist and plays all forms of this instrument.
After warm greetings, he sat down and looked at the EmKens and said "These must be the speakers you told me about?"
"Yup, wanna hear em?"
"Ask a daft question why don't ya."
As we sat and chatted, we listened too a whole range of music, I put Claire Jones - Girl With The Golden Harp in the cd player......
Wills jaw dropped......"I've NEVER heard a harp reproduced like that, the sound is as big as the instrument is, most times it sounds like a plucked violin squeezed through a ducks bottom."
I then put on the recording of my good friend Lyndsey Rimmer, she's a local talent, whom I once managed to get into a recording studio - the recording is of her reading bits of poetry, us both talking, her singing and playing guitar and her belting out a bit of Amy Winehouse. The recording was made using a Sony DatMan Pro and a stereo mic dangled from the ceiling.
"Hey" says Wills, "That's Lynn Rimmer, we went busking one time in Truro years ago."
At one point things go really quiet, I was making cups of tea, Lynn lounging on a couch and the studio's owner sneaks up behind her and gives her a 'Wet Willy' and she screams.
Screams so loud that even though the mic was near 20ft away, it sounds like it was hard against her vocal chords!
Makes me jump and I know its there, Wills crawled up the back of the sofa in shock!
"You know what Darrell, you really lucked out with these, I'd like to bring my mic'd acoustic round and see what they sound like......"
I've had other friends round, some are 'sorta' into HiFi and some not, but all to a man / woman end up spell-bound by the sounds that issue from my Em's.
Then I tell 'em "There's only 3 pairs in the world and my pair are unique because they have adjustable tuning."
This weeks / months tweaking is Pluffing my Whizzers - a friends dog got bored and 'killed' a scatter cushion, so the tweak becomes 'The / $0.00 tweak' for me.
Old 2nd December 2012, 05:25 PM   #617
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
Nice feedback!

are the FT17H's growing on you?
Old 2nd December 2012, 09:34 PM   #618
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Thanx for that Sippy. Time to promote the design from beta to paid planset.

dave
Old 2nd December 2012, 11:06 PM   #619
diyAudio Member

JKRO:
FT17H's still in their holes, but remain unconnected - I have played with their wiring / cap and only get joy when I can listen to them stood behind my seating position, with no way of getting sat back there.......hence my interest in your other thread mate, am going to have a go at a single cell 90x40 degree paper horn over the holiday and get started on a Class A amp.

Dave:
If a person builds EmKen for HiFi, they will have to accept the 12Lta's voicing and will definitely need to have a slightly bigger room / be sat further away than I am.
Small venue PA work should present no real problems. I've been playing around with Winisd looking at a sealed LF enclosure with a 15" or 18" per channel.
I will be in contact with you regards this.

Still having fun
Old 3rd December 2012, 05:49 PM   #620
diyAudio Member

Well, earlier today I delved my hand into the bag of 'pluff', teased what I thought was a suitable amount for one driver and thought 'how to ensure equality?'
....Borrowed a pair of electronic scales that weigh in .01 grams, weighed the pluff at 1.7g, teased and weighed a second dose out, teased it out and had to used more force than expected to get it betwixt whizzer and the main cone.

Top mod, Lady GaGa's The Fame becomes, for the first time, really really easy to listen to.
You know, I cant be diddled with too much gushing 'Blah de Blah', so in Short:
The whizzer must have a HUGE output in its working range, even going by the posted graphs, both for stock and modded drivers, don't really tell the whole story. The effect of killing off the reflected rear out put is not subtle, EmKen on its own with (my) current porting DOES DO SKANKY BASS!
It was masked by the whizzers output!
Claire Jones's harps long strings, at last, go 'Plommmbbbbb'.
One can hear the odd 'wibble' as the Lta gets right up the freq range, I can accept that because everything else is 'Just Right'.
I've been listening for near 7hrs without fatigue and I wish I could listen for another 7 - pity I've got to curfew cos the lil lass who lives above is near her bed-time.

Thanks Dave..... so worth the pains and waiting.
Etocynedd, pity you didn't get in on this from the get go - I'll assure you here and now that if you buy the plan-set, build with even half decent ply and do the mods detailed in this thread, YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.
You'll learn a heap and have fun too

Hide this!Advertise here!