Ladies & Gentlemen - The Emken - Page 61 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th November 2012, 08:16 AM   #601
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
A little update

I've changed nothing on the speaker at all. All I did was attach the Nelson Pass' Amp Camp Amp to CD player with a variable output....

WOW - Depth of sound, resolution etc. Heard things on frequently played discs I don't remember hearing before. Bass was much bigger - As I decreased the volume the bass got quieter but didn't shrink like my AB amp and T2 hifimediy amps.

must be the extra current
Old 14th November 2012, 08:26 AM   #602
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

And people say all amps sound the same

dave
Old 14th November 2012, 08:38 AM   #603
diyAudio Member

It was the same style of sound that I recall having with my Jungson HA88D (its the One Troels uses JungSonJA88D-09) big bold & kind of glassy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post

dave
I bet they wouldn't say it after they listen to a SE class A design from Mr Pass! It made a pair of Minimus 7's sound unliveable for their size The Emken? Just WOW
Old 14th November 2012, 09:11 AM   #604
diyAudio Member

Sippy - the next big Emken upgrade is an ACA. 5W of joy
Old 14th November 2012, 12:31 PM   #605
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKO View Post
Sippy - the next big Emken upgrade is an ACA. 5W of joy

Built in powered speaker... two mono block ACA 1.0's are no standard on all Emkens?

Yea..

JOn P
Old 14th November 2012, 01:57 PM   #606
sippy is offline sippy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Well,
Its been a few whiles since I posted anything here........
JKRO sorted me out with phase plugs and I liked the sounds that issued forth right from the get go, first track played was Smoooooth. He also sent me some of his felt, so ensued hauling out the Lta's, removal of the Wilton and cutting pads to sit inside the basket legs......this tamed some more of the hf reflections.
That Saturday I didn't surf, I trolled through all my favourite tunes. Early evening, Clea came round in a rare moment of silence, noticed the the plugs when I sat her down with a cuppa and said "They look so much better, finished off almost."
She took control of music selection and after an hour she said "I could live with a pair of those."
A week or so goes by....... One evening I'm doing a Sim Race league event and the sound keeps dropping out on one channel of my venerable Cyrus, further investigation shows that its in desperate need of service, so I wheel in the 'unknown quantity' Kenwood amp, which displays a slight 'cuppienes' to some vocals, nothing really offensive though.
Parents return from Turkey, I phone to say 'I'm on my way' and cycles out to pick up my tweeters....... Now for a shocker, I don't like the sound of EmKens with the Fostex tweets. I fiddled with various value caps, played with them mounted in the front baffle and with them on top of the cabinet, some thing not quite right to My ears.
I also discovered that my sound card has a slight lack of drive compared to either of my CD players..... Parents have finally gone 'computerised' digital, releasing my CD63KIS back into my sticky mitts.
With the Green Zone venting arrangement and a cdp with some grunt there is no lack of bass depth, None, my recorded for me club-sets (vinyl to flac / cd) really thunder in the lower registers. They 'grip' so well that they can vibrate my book case, 2 shelves of hardbacks and 2 shelves that hold up (just) about 90 lbs worth of iron in the form of my woodworking plane collection.
I've tried the longest vents and asymmetric, in my room, neither sound right - cant describe in words, same goes for the tweeters.
A week ago (ish) the EmKens had a try out as PA speakers in the Village Hall - a space of about 70 x 40ft with 20ft high ceiling. Backs to the stage riser, fed by my cheapo Technics cdp / Kenwood amp they played music really really loud for the Ladies Work Out class, after they made their corpuscles race, there was chance to go wild and turn the wick up all the way
I guess this amp has (maybe) 40w output, but even a 'thrashing' with so little power helped smooth things a little more. Bass was not up to scratch in such a large space, as one would expect - I wouldn't mind building some form of bass reinforcement cabinets, then I would be able to loan or hire them out for summer parties........

Conclusion: Build cabinet, perform dust cap ectomy on Lta, install in cabinet, hook up to an amp with some goolies and give 'em a damn good thrashing, the more thrashing the better imho...... just remember to wear ear-defenders!!!
THE ONLY thing I would change about my build would be to make these out of really top notch plywood, something I'm going to do now I:
A) Know that the design works and I like the sound.
B) The gf would like a pair (means finishing these ones off, something Matt the carpenter has been chewing my ear about), She will have to buy her own pair of 12Lta's though!
Nowt wrong with this cabinet / drive unit combo as I've built them. I do suspect that the designer has 'spoilt' ears from his endeavours with other 'wide range' drive unit/ cabinet combos.

Good news about the sounds now produced with ACA in the system JKRO, I've been waiting to hear your report....... I shall have to drop a few hints re Xmass pressies. Having found out that my sound cards don't come up to scratch, I'm looking at DAC options, this is another thing to add to the list of 'needs'.
Currently listening to Agnus Dei sung by All Angels from their self titled first album, STUNNING!
I also treated myself and BOUGHT a CD (shock horror!) - Claire Jones - The Girl With The Golden Harp (Decca Records/Classic FM), she was untill fair recently THE official harpist to The House of HRH Prince Charles and played at the last royal wedding, well worth splashing out for.
Old 14th November 2012, 02:05 PM   #607
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10
Ugh, flat earthers, cant stand them. Makes one wonder why some of them spend HUGE amounts on HI-FI when a 10 wind-up radio sounds the same.......or should do, according to them.
Old 14th November 2012, 07:00 PM   #608
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sippy View Post
Ugh, flat earthers, cant stand them. Makes one wonder why some of them spend HUGE amounts on HI-FI when a 10 wind-up radio sounds the same.......or should do, according to them.

well, I think it's the amps that are claimed to make less difference than the source, magic interconnects and cabling and end of chain transducers

system , synergy - some folks just don't get it
Old 14th November 2012, 07:50 PM   #609
diyAudio Member

My introduction to hifi was sitting down and listening to parts of DSOTM twice, then the owner of the hifi changed the interconnects between the passive pre and power amps and made me listen twice more. To prove his point, He then switched the interconnects back and put a track on that was just a girl n guitar in a church hall, listened to it once and then he did the switch - second time there was the sound of a glass bottle being knocked over and breaking, sounded like it was coming from 30 - 40ft behind the speakers.
First pair of inters were 'Rather expensive considering they's just bits of wire', the second pair were home made and cost about 10. My mind was blown away.
Same guy also helped my build my first 'hifi' amps and pair of speakers.
Old 14th November 2012, 09:49 PM   #610
diyAudio Member

Hey Sippy, glad the felt and phase plugs met with approval.

What fostex tweets and crossover are you using? the FT17H? If you have been listening without highs they can sound foreign as the brain becomes comfortable after a time. I use a simple in line filter of 2 caps combined to make a value of 2.5uF for a gentle 1st order slope (6db) at just under 8khz

Hide this!Advertise here!