Ladies & Gentlemen - The Emken - Page 60 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th October 2012, 03:50 PM   #591
sippy is offline sippy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Wow JKRO,
Funny how the memory works - I wus 10yrs old in '82, Pink Floyd's The Wall was aired for the first time on Top of the Pops. I thought it was the best song since sliced bread and hoped with all my heart that it would be played constantly via my little transistor radio. A few days later at school, the lunch bell rang and all the kids charged out-side...... 600 kids goose stepping chanting 'We don't need no education'.
Letters were sent home to every kids parents explaining that the song / album was about the threat of nuclear war...... I got a huge telling off from my father, who was in the RAF, lectured about the Cold War and how it didn't matter if it all kicked off because of the targeting of RAF bases and Cities - Elgin being within 15 miles of two bases and a city.
Next day I got the living (insert word here) beaten out of me for weeks buy the Scots kids, not for being English, but 'cos my father was in the RAF!
Funnily, The Wall was the first song I ever heard on 'proper' HiFi, my Uncle Steven played it from a recording from vinyl to reel-to-reel, through a big gold Marantz tube amp and speakers that were as tall as me - the sound of hammers marching and helicopters buzzing round in thin air, crystal clear and Loud....... oh my, so damn LOUD!
It was also the tune used to demonstrate the effects / sounds of different cables made in HiFi by the guy who got me into this wretched addiction
Clea bought me a cd this morning, Clifton Chenier - Louisiana Blues and Zydeco (1965), thankfully it's not remastered trash.
I've also promised the 7yo girl who lives above that I will play Carly Rae Jepsen's 'Call Me Maybe' loud enough for her to dance outside with her mother and Clea before she goes to stay with her father for the weekend.
Old 12th October 2012, 04:12 PM   #592
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by sippy View Post
I've also promised the 7yo girl who lives above that I will play Carly Rae Jepsen's 'Call Me Maybe' loud enough for her to dance outside with her mother and Clea before she goes to stay with her father for the weekend.
Ah and it just so happens you've recently built just the tool for the job
Old 12th October 2012, 04:20 PM   #593
diyAudio Member

True, so VERY true......
They don't quite do what I'd describe as 'Down right dirty skanky bass' though........ expect an email shortly!
The Clifton Chenier album - find it and buy it, stunning stuff!
Also check out Petra Magoni and Ferruccio Spinetti's Musica Nuda 2, Disc one is..... some thing else!
Old 12th October 2012, 05:22 PM   #594
diyAudio Member

The disco's just happened, 8 female attendee's : 1 x 6 yr old, 2x 7yr, 2x 13yr, 1x 21yr, 1x 29yr and 1x 43yr.

Lil old Cyrus 2 providing the juice, loud dial at half way round
Old 12th October 2012, 06:00 PM   #595
diyAudio Member

ouch! at that level I hope you liked the track. At least the modern version of dance ensemble 'legs & co' had a good boogie
Old 12th October 2012, 06:50 PM   #596
diyAudio Member

Quote:
ouch! at that level I hope you liked the track
It's one of those 'Teeny Bopper' songs that puts a smile on my face AND its well produced, which makes a change in this day and age.
And hey, how often can One man put a smile on the faces of 8 females in one go on a cold and blustery October afternoon?
Em's flexed their muscles, Fun was had........ and that's what counts.
Old 12th October 2012, 07:33 PM   #597
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKO View Post
Also discovered Loreena McKennitt's Greensleeves - oooooooooph.
Nights at the Alhambra has some of our favorite demo tracks.

I have some interesting Loreena stories.

Quote:
Clannad
I reall yneed to get going on digitizing my vinyl... i have at least a couple good albums

dave
Old 12th October 2012, 07:39 PM   #598
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKO View Post
Scared up a SL1210 mkII for a reasonable sum.
I got mine cheap. Ripped it apart for the tonearm, plan is to mount it on a replinthed Rega 2 (or maybe use the bearing/inner platter/motor from an LP12 -- more work there thou -- need to machine a new outer platter)

dave
Old 12th October 2012, 07:45 PM   #599
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sippy View Post
Carly Rae Jepsen
Just found out about her, not heard any of her work.

Interviewed for CBC news. Turns out she is from Mission -- just across the river from where Ruth grew up (and where we had Thanksgiving dinner last WE), and where my godson was hatched.

dave
Old 13th October 2012, 11:15 AM   #600
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Nights at the Alhambra has some of our favorite demo tracks.

I reall yneed to get going on digitizing my vinyl... i have at least a couple good albums
I've got The Lady Of Shalott & Bonny Portmore - both amazing. I guess they would be even better on Night at the Alhambra because of the live recording. I'll look into that!!

As for digitizing. I've used Garageband on the mac before now. Good results with a half decent record and phono stage using the analogue inputs. I might look into Behringer UCA202 and Behringer UCA222 but if you have one of the larger Behringer units that have ADC that might work better as the conversion is outside the Mac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
I got mine cheap. Ripped it apart for the tonearm, plan is to mount it on a replinthed Rega 2 (or maybe use the bearing/inner platter/motor from an LP12 -- more work there thou -- need to machine a new outer platter)
I'm going to stock up on parts as they are cheap but the decks are no longer in manufacture - 1x arm 2x bearing and a few other bits should see me until I die

Hide this!Advertise here!