Ladies & Gentlemen - The Emken - Page 58 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th October 2012, 04:26 PM   #571
sippy is offline sippy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Just having read my post, I've had to check my cycle computer mileage against the same route ridden previously.
It should be 79. and a few 10ths.
Also, I will try the less 'grippy' Pioneer amp in the next quiet spell, see what goes on in the lower freq's.
I'm thinking that the voicing of an Electrocopaniet amp would go well with these.
Lottery tonight, 21 or 22 million....... fingers crossed chaps.
Old 5th October 2012, 05:12 PM   #572
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

It sounds like you are having a lot of fun!

I am a bit nervous about the phase plug thing - it's a fairly major bit of surgery and it might be good to wait a bit longer for things to settle in. The overall sound depends not just on the box, the damping, but on the amp, the cables, the quality of the mains supply, the liveliness of the room and how much Scrumpy you had on the last cycle ride....
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 5th October 2012, 05:21 PM   #573
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
I was concerned too but its a doddle on the 12lta. And the phase plug makes a big difference smoothing out the response

scrumpy oh go on then!! Middle Farm, just a few miles away, has the 'national cider collection' - 100 different barrels to try and take home. I like Kenny Cramps Double Vision
Old 5th October 2012, 05:24 PM   #574
diyAudio Member

The phase plug thing (and just removing the dustcap from the 12lta) really worked for me. If it didn't I'd tell you so. Regardless, you need to feel comfortable cutting up the drivers.

It's kind of a shame that a 12" driver can't produce enough bass. I hope a few modern 12" fullrangers will be born by several manufacturers in the future.

Zilla
Old 5th October 2012, 08:52 PM   #575
diyAudio Member

Rich's Screech and Squeaky Tap,good stuff
I don't drink alkhol these days, best use imho is for tipping down the necks of race engines.
Chain ganging this time of year is fast, theres little traffic so not much call to brake. Most twist and go scooters don't even rate as cannon fodder.
I did listen to the Lta's with the dust cap while running them in, they produced a right ear bashing racket so I cut them out after about 2 hrs. Made a big difference, as noted in the 'Em Beta 12lta in a 3cuft box' thread.
Then JKRO launched this thread with a P10 enclosure and my interest was caught instantly. I've listened to some very nice small loudspeakers over the years and while they can do a lot correctly / sound very nice, they just don't do it for me. Neither have any of the smaller second hand floor standers. Theres times I miss the tweeter high, no where near as often as I thought I would.
These fit the bill regards size, they have rather good sensitivity, they are fairly cheep to build as a beta and Hay, give a wide range drive unit a go.
I can now see why people rave about this speaker type AND I can now see why the designer and tuxedocivic say the things they about these compared to the smaller (tiny) ones. Not having a cross over is a true revelation, there's a new rightness to what I hear. Sure they aint that smooth sounding in my current system.....
Cyrus 2 + PSX is a budget combo, it's the combo I wanted when I first got into hifi, imho far better than the Nad 3020 I owned back then. The lil Cyrus does not try and 'do it all', but what it does do, it does very well.
My front end is an old Creative SD Audigy thing that sits in my gameing computer . This can and is used clocked up, so even with fans in quiet mode its quite noisey. This I hope to sort out with a dedicated AV / Audio pc with an outboard dac etc.
Not the best equipement by a long long shot.
But wait....... this Is diyaudio . com, there's wizzards toys to be diy'd, HiFi to be made!
I'm sat here listening to a very nice recording from vinyl to flac of Janacek Philly Orchestra playing Smetana's Overture to "Bartered Bride", tis quite a stunning piece of work.
Remember that this is experimental, it is a PA speaker (it will get its chances) and part of a bigger goal.
Biguns avatar sums things up.
As this weekend might have iffy weather, hacking wood for the cross braces is out. So I'm going to have another play with the aysmetric porting, basket damping, whatch the Japanese F1 GP....... and if theres enough time start reading about enable AND wonder what JKRO's ACA will sound like with these AND do a sim race at Misano GP.
All fun
Old 6th October 2012, 02:28 PM   #576
diyAudio Member

For the moment, I've decided to just fill in the are round the magnet / basket interface with caulking and wire some of the nice Wilton to the inside of the baskets legs. Obviously to do the absorbent material properly I need more felt, it will show up some of the benefits.
And save a bit of time so I can have music.
Old 6th October 2012, 02:45 PM   #577
diyAudio Member

So the bb is quite pricey. MDF would be sinful, but void free and spine crushingly heavy.

I remember going into a clothing store, Bootlegger, and seeing all the upright surfaces were OSB with clear coating on it.

With the metallic hardware i liked the look.

What about 15mm OSB for the cabs, maybe with a veneer of something nice on the front? Or just stained, any acoustic price to pay in exchange for the cheapness of the material?
Yamaha YST-MS201 computer speaker amp, JVC 3" fullrange drivers in open baffles, CSS 10" sub in 19l sealed enclosure, bluetooth dongle for wireless audio from android phone headphone out for hirez FLAC playback.
Old 6th October 2012, 05:06 PM   #578
diyAudio Member

I wouldn't Etocyynned.
Save for plywood is my advise.
Are you running your Lta's in yet?
BUT then again, if one were careful not to take too much volume away, one could go mental with bracing, something like this: major braces installed.JPG
from Biguns thread: http://http://www.diyaudio.com/forum...uper-15-a.html
Old 7th October 2012, 09:01 PM   #579
diyAudio Member

Absorbent material on the inside of the Lta's basket legs has improved things dramatically, massed voice choruses don't shriek, far far easier on the ear right across the spectrum. Quiet details are now clearer - Orchestral works go from mouse quiet to LOUD with no effort what so ever.
I've been listening to them now for 7 hours, music and game and they are virtually fatigue free, still the slight roughness though.
Very worth while mod this is, right up there with cutting out the dust cap.
When I had the drivers out of cabinet yesterday, I put 2 layers of masking tape on the interface between brace and magnet, cant hear a difference.
There's a Harp in this orchestra and its filling the room, delicate, huge and liquid.
Old 8th October 2012, 09:34 PM   #580
diyAudio Member

Has anyone who has built these got the capability to do a frequency response measurement?
Yamaha YST-MS201 computer speaker amp, JVC 3" fullrange drivers in open baffles, CSS 10" sub in 19l sealed enclosure, bluetooth dongle for wireless audio from android phone headphone out for hirez FLAC playback.

Hide this!Advertise here!