Ladies & Gentlemen - The Emken - Page 57 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd October 2012, 06:02 PM   #561
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
I hope you'll like the difference the inner and outer basket leg mods make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sippy View Post
Not missing not having a tweeter either!
Its odd isn't it? Especially on a 12" driver
Old 2nd October 2012, 07:03 PM   #562
sippy is offline sippy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Well, these are a very basic build so far, so possibly 'better' for quantifying mods as they are applied.
Could it be that tweeters are slightly over rated?
Matt the carpenter came round just after I'd put them back against the wall. As he likes Blues, I put him in the hot seat, gave the loud knob two extra clicks up and let him select tracks from Muddy Waters Folk Singer and every time Mr. Waters raised his voice, Matt jumped a little.
I asked him what he thought..... "They are (insert rude word here) stunning!"
And NO ONE has, as yet, asked me to turn them up since the 'drowning out of three Ford Transit Vans' incident.
Old 2nd October 2012, 09:25 PM   #563
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Room = 17' 6"ish by 12' 8" ish...... a slight jiggle of things like will yield 13ft listening distance.
FYI, you ideally want the LP positioned at either 3rds or 5ths of the room's acoustic length.

GM
Old 2nd October 2012, 09:36 PM   #564
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etocynned View Post
Is baffle step an issue with an enclosure of this size?
Explain if able, i thought it was a concern with tall narrow enclosures and small drivers.
Assuming the speaker isn't too far from a wall, then around a 30" baffle width, no BSC is needed for a typical driver as it's 2 pi F6 is down around 100 Hz where room reflections would tend to flatten it out somewhat; ergo a driver with some built in BSC would sound too 'chesty', i.e. a woman's voice too manly [deep], etc., though musically it would yield a bit more drum, bass guitar 'slam'/'thump', so depending on one's musical preferences it may be the way to go.

GM
Old 2nd October 2012, 10:34 PM   #565
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the explanations GM.
Listening distance is between 3rds and 5ths of room length, I will try shifting my seating about.
Vocals are very good imo.
I have about 80mins of a lady friend singer/song writer on CD and flac, reading from text / talking to myself and occasional outbursts of spontaneous singing. As Lyndsey lives in the next village, it's no trouble to go pick her up, bring her here and A/B the 'real deal' with recorded sound.
This seems to work well for me, my 2.5 way towers were auditioned thus and have listened to them day in day out for 3yrs.
I will see what change the drive unit mods bring.
Old 2nd October 2012, 10:40 PM   #566
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Its a concern with all drivers as far as I know. Emken might be a big box, just remember the size of the drive unit.
I dont know what the sound of the 'step' should / does sound like, no one seems to describe it just 'you will need it'.
Am waiting till I get phase plugs and see what that change does first, will start getting the stuff together for basket damping as well.

Probably not needed. Lack of BSC can make a speaker sound thin, forward, shouty, etc. Basically no lower mids upper bass. But with those enclosure dimensions, the baffle losses should be pushed down into the room effects, which are a much bigger effect than baffle step. Also, I've heard the emken and it didn't have a baffle step problem. The fatigue you're hearing is likely the break up region. When the speaker was pushed, it got ugly in the treble. The version I heard had a tweeter though.
Old 4th October 2012, 01:23 AM   #567
diyAudio Member

Quote:
What part of the world are you in Etocynned?
Here in England we mostly deal in 8ft x 4ft - I find BBply a few days ago...... 92 a sheet
OUCH!
The WBP I bought was 40 a sheet.
You need 2x 8x4 sheets for EmKen, I think somewhere in this thread it says you need 5 x 5ftx5ft per enclosure.
How loud can you shout OUCH?
Well the sheets i saw at my local windsor plywood priced 5x5 BB at $60/sheet so im looking at about $500 for the entire build.
Yamaha YST-MS201 computer speaker amp, JVC 3" fullrange drivers in open baffles, CSS 10" sub in 19l sealed enclosure, bluetooth dongle for wireless audio from android phone headphone out for hirez FLAC playback.
Old 4th October 2012, 01:58 AM   #568
diyAudio Member

Quote:
so im looking at about $500 for the entire build
Ouch! I might pay to go back through this thread and see if you can find the post with how many sheets it takes OR ask the esteemed designer about quantities.

Yesterday (as it is now here in the UK), I added even more felt and some rolled up towels in the back corners of the Em's. This has cleared up some of the 'hardness' - its still there though.
Bass has become lighter so I'm wondering if I've gone too far?
Listening conditions were not the best, the lass who lives above had her washing machine, tumble drier and vacuum cleaner going.
And her 6yo daughter charging round like 3 heards of elephants.
Day off today so there will be a quiet spell for a decent listen.
Old 5th October 2012, 08:56 AM   #569
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
Here you go

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
These aren't tiny enclosures - altogether approx 2 5x5ft sheets per side, and it does get a bit wearying moving them around.
so 4 x $60 per sheet = $240 for parts
Old 5th October 2012, 12:46 PM   #570
diyAudio Member

Quote:
and it does get a bit wearying moving them around
This bit is true, says He who had thoughts of making the outside panels from even thicker material.......

Any ways, yesterday I got back from my cycle ride (Porthtowan - St.Austell - Gorran / Roseland Peninsula - Probus - Newquay - Porthtowan = 94 miles) I got home to total silence!!!
Kettle on for tea, Hifi on for music......
The new stuffing has wrought wonders. No nasties from the vents now, Bass all there as before, gone is the almighty honk on VSQ Plays Lady GaGa from cello / double bass.
Muddy Waters has lost all the overly gravel from his voice and his steel guitar / cordobro has that steel string resonating through steel box sound that only these instruments can produce.
I put on Katie Melua Secret Symphony and took my well earned hot bath, Ahhhhh.......
Then on went Stanton Warriors (FabricLive30) (HARD hitting 'club music'), Loud dial wound round to what would be described as a 'naughty level' for EmKenning and all hell let loose.
These things GO VERY VERY LOUD and though they go low enough, they don't have that bite / snap in the bass to pull this kind of music off to my taste / ear. One friend who lives 150 yards away commented in the village shop "There was music yesterday afternoon and it sounded like thunder."
Hehehe.
I'm still going to have a bit more of a play with damping material and this weekend is basket modding.
Phase plugs next week all being well.
Exciting stuff!

Hide this!Advertise here!