Ladies & Gentlemen - The Emken - Page 55 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd September 2012, 05:44 PM   #541
sippy is offline sippy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Things are well JKRO.
Now they are pointing parallel, about 4inches off the back wall, with the 'green zone' venting and some extra damping material, they sound a lot better.
Off-axis position was the single biggest revelation, they went from howling, screaming closed in makers of huge volume to fairly civil speakers.
Damping is going to require buying some of the denser material, I have 2 layers below the bottom of the Lta that wrap round to the side over the vents and 3 layer on the top / bottom and back (which wrap onto the sides) and a single layer on either side of the driver brace.
I will live with them as they are for a week and then think about glueing in the venting and lower cross brace, which I'm sure will stop some lower mid sounds leaking out the vents and kill a Gigantanormus honk right in the 'Cello' voice range. I will also install the terminal cup and re-wire with solid core.
They image well enough, some times sounding just a little too huge for 'realism'.
Voices, on the whole sound good, just odd instances of wooden nasality or chestyness.
Bass is all there, test tones sound solid down to 55 / 50htz and there's enough below that to satisfy all but a bass fiend.
Attack! Not helped by amplification renowned for sounding fast on leading edges of notes, some times the Em's sound like they are tripping up / trying too hard to be fast.
Class A is the way to go f'sure, for Emkenning I'm thinking Zen V4 - though for my next speaker build F5 / ACA would make more sense.
I dunno, there might be a better flat available soon, luckily with the same landlord, bigger lounge space, bigger all round in fact........
Holst's Planets, Jupiter, played by Atlanta SO, Stunning!
Old 23rd September 2012, 05:58 PM   #542
diyAudio Member

Sweet! And the capper is to mention Jupiter.
It was the first CD i ever bought, Previn conducting The Planets!
Old 23rd September 2012, 06:31 PM   #543
diyAudio Member

When I was a kid, TV was considered a treat, so I spent a lot of time reading, drawing and listening to music. Planets was a once a week treat, turned up loud and appreciated.
Tis not quite the same as listening to it being played by an R.A.F. band.
First music I bought for myself was The Beatles White Album on pre-recorded cassette, neither parental unit would let me have Floyds The Wall.
A few years later, Tomorrows World science show showed the world a CD, plastered it with jam, cleaned it off and put it into a player..... and lordy, it still worked!!!
Old 23rd September 2012, 08:18 PM   #544
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by sippy View Post
When I was a kid, TV was considered a treat
Happy days!! same in our house. I didn't see StarWars until i was a teenager

I'd much prefer to read one of the 4 or so books I have on the go and listen to music than watch something. We have not had TV for 12yrs now - theres nothing on anyway and we just watch what we want on DVD

That way I can buy at least 4 CD's & some vinyl every month
Old 23rd September 2012, 09:22 PM   #545
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I didn't see StarWars until i was a teenager
Me either.
I haven't bought a single CD this year, cheap vinyl is quite abundant - so I buy that instead and a very kind friend transcribes it to FLAC for me.
Am VERY careful to avoid the 'remastered' stuff though - it sounds nearly as bad off vinyl as it does off a beer mat.
Old 26th September 2012, 08:21 AM   #546
diyAudio Member

How are they coming along there Sippy?
Old 26th September 2012, 11:04 AM   #547
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sippy View Post
Me either.
I haven't bought a single CD this year, cheap vinyl is quite abundant - so I buy that instead and a very kind friend transcribes it to FLAC for me.
Am VERY careful to avoid the 'remastered' stuff though - it sounds nearly as bad off vinyl as it does off a beer mat.
Haven't tried listening to beer mats yet.

I keep finding vinyl at 50p each at charity shops.

How well they play can be hit-and-miss, but for me (being 18 years old) part of the charm of vinyl is the occasional crackle/thump. Nostalgia is a strange thing.
Of course, I've given up playing the really knackered ones.

Sounds like these drivers are worth playing around with - at ~40 each, they're much cheaper than most.

Chris
Old 26th September 2012, 12:42 PM   #548
diyAudio Member

Beer mat = cd, aka silver coasters. One trendy drinking emporium I used to frequent as a slightly younger me used cd's as beer mats.
Its a safe bet that some beer mats could sound better in a cd player than some of the silver discs they press.
Old 26th September 2012, 08:04 PM   #549
diyAudio Member

This is interesting - Eminence 12LTA + Supertweeter (coax style)
Old 28th September 2012, 10:36 AM   #550
diyAudio Member

Ordered my ACA - cant wait to hear a little class A beastie driving these!!

Hide this!Advertise here!