Ladies & Gentlemen - The Emken - Page 50 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th September 2012, 03:42 PM   #491
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
just make the corners a large radius, so there's no potentially weak corner junctions.
It may also be worth rounding the interior edges of the cuts - less reflective flat surfaces
Old 11th September 2012, 03:48 PM   #492
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sippy View Post
Can the holes in the brace be square windows?
A circle leaves a strong brace, but you could use heart shapes as long as you hit the 30-40% holes target.

dave
Old 11th September 2012, 04:01 PM   #493
diyAudio Member

HI Dave. Any notes or thoughts on the Emken in its side vented state? How did it go down at 'FEST 2012?

James
Old 11th September 2012, 04:55 PM   #494
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKO View Post
It may also be worth rounding the interior edges of the cuts - less reflective flat surfaces
True, but this means a 180 deg round-over to be worthwhile AFAIK, so then the bar has to be wider, so seems like less surface area is the lesser of two evils and the secondary reason why I switched to hardwood dowels.

GM
Old 11th September 2012, 06:54 PM   #495
diyAudio Member

If you look at a single round hole in a brace as four cantilever bridges, you'll see that this makes a pretty good brace without a lot of trouble. Panel stiffening, however, is far more important than tying panels together. The "holey brace" does both, but a couple of dowels between the panel stiffeners would be much easier and nearly as effective.

Bob
Old 11th September 2012, 06:56 PM   #496
sippy is offline sippy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The end of another half days work (ish):
All large panels cut, driver holes routed though no rebate as the t-nuts would not have enough material round them for my liking - Matt spotted this and said best bet is to laminate an extra panel to make said at a later date.
Tomorrows jobs: Chop vent walls / extensions to length, cut holes in brace / driver cut back (I had a lucky find - 2 thin jig-saw blades in the bottom of my tool box), rip stock for spacers / battens, sink t-nuts and start slopping glue, pinning and clamping.
There's a slim chance they will be in operation by the weekend, if not by the end off.
On the subject of the holes, would one actually be able to hear this 'Eigenmode'?
How about a 90deg round over but alternating the side that's rounded?
Or is this a bit too much fuss?
Old 11th September 2012, 07:03 PM   #497
sippy is offline sippy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Welllllll....
P10 design sheet calls for front to back and side to side braces, the latter sit in the lower half of the enclosure - I guess once the port length has been sorted and these cross's added, the upper walls can be braced with dowels = not cause reflections back through the drive units cone.
Old 11th September 2012, 07:14 PM   #498
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sippy View Post
Or is this a bit too much fuss?
Well done mate!! I would say do what you can - I doubt either of us would hear the difference but its nice to know you've done what you could.

Just get 'em finished, heft them into place, plug 'em in and let rip!! Maybe warn your neighbour you will be playing 'enthusiastically'

Pick your first track carefully - something with great attack will put a grin on your face
Old 11th September 2012, 08:53 PM   #499
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post
If you look at a single round hole in a brace as four cantilever bridges, you'll see that this makes a pretty good brace without a lot of trouble. Panel stiffening, however, is far more important than tying panels together. The "holey brace" does both, but a couple of dowels between the panel stiffeners would be much easier and nearly as effective.
The goal is to push panel resonance as high as possible. They results from Tappan's AES paper

Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Old 11th September 2012, 08:55 PM   #500
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKO View Post
HI Dave. Any notes or thoughts on the Emken in its side vented state? How did it go down at 'FEST 2012?
Side vents were a fix for the long vent version to end up with shorter vents sippy is leaving room for.

With 2A3 SE on the garage apron (ie outside, no room) they were at their best yet.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!