Ladies & Gentlemen - The Emken - Page 49 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th September 2012, 05:26 AM   #481
diyAudio Member

The phase plugs are great! I love them and from a previous thread you can see their benefits. You can also hear their benefits.
Old 10th September 2012, 02:40 PM   #482
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
how are the cabs coming along Sippy?
Old 10th September 2012, 03:35 PM   #483
sippy is offline sippy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Well, with the weekend being so fine, nothing got done - tradesman has to have his time out.
Matt got back from a morning job, knocked on for me and we set up, 3/4hr later and we're 1/3 way through the panels, we had to pack away for an hour and some cos of a shower.
Better get tea brewed and back out there.
Matt cut one panel (rip) and it had a 1.5mm bow in the middle, 'That's piddled me off that has' in a thick northern accent - this was for the sides, now to be the back.
will report more later..........
I'm a happy bunny :-)
Old 10th September 2012, 07:21 PM   #484
diyAudio Member

Well, we dodged the showers and got all the panels cut apart from the porting / vent parts.
About 3hrs of work so far, this including knocking up some support to span the trestles. Tomorrow will be bevel cuts, routing the aperture for drive units / fitting t-nuts and ripping stock for port / vent and corner battens.
As we have all seen oblong bits of plywood before and Matt the carpenter is camera shy, I have not taken pictures.
To see what my pile looks like, look at JKRO's pics at the head of this thread - only notable difference is that my inner vent / port wall is divided into three to facilitate LF tuning.
I will take a few pics as I assemble.
Report over.
Old 10th September 2012, 07:37 PM   #485
diyAudio Member

good move there mate!

sorry I didn't get back to you on the phase plugs. Mine are made of walnut. The guy just knocked them up from what he had in stock so no clue as to the dims. needed for the blank prior to turning

do you definitely want to use your wood or shall I just get him to turn a pair from something like walnut? I think I have a block here he could use if you like?
Old 10th September 2012, 09:00 PM   #486
diyAudio Member

*prepares the firing squad.......

No worries JKRO, 3 days feels like a mere moment.
Hmmm, decisions......There's no uber burning rush, when I ordered the drive units and other bits, they got delivered to my parents as couriers sometimes cant find where I live, they went away Friday for 6wks (Turkey), so I wont have The tweeters for a while, I intended initially to just to listen to the stock 12lta's for a week or so and go from there with up-grading / adding to, note in triplicate etc.
Best ask your man what he needs just in case your bit isn't big enough (don't forget to ask about re-numeration), my lump is 480 x 200 x 400 so there is plenty of stock to cut from, only downside is extra postage if I send stock to you.
Old 11th September 2012, 01:07 PM   #487
diyAudio Member

A question, to save my addled brain: Can the holes in the brace be square windows?
Neither Matt or I have a hole saw that large and tbh, I'm not wanting to go routing.
Old 11th September 2012, 01:13 PM   #488
diyAudio Member

Absolutly no idea I'm afraid. I used an 8cm hole saw and it took a while

Knowing Dave & Chris there is probably a good reason to use circles.

Also make sure there is a direct line from back of driver to back of cabinet made of solid wood - no holes
Old 11th September 2012, 01:45 PM   #489
diyAudio Member

Afternoon JKRO,
I guess holes have better diffraction qualities or the designer has a fetish of some sort - understandable if he were from Lancashire or Cornwall.
I shall improvise and make them diamond shaped.
Old 11th September 2012, 02:09 PM   #490
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sippy View Post
Can the holes in the brace be square windows?
Yes, they're called 'window braces' , just make the corners a large radius, so there's no potentially weak corner junctions.

Ideally, you want amorphous pattern cutouts to ensure maximum strength with the least air flow disruption and most diffusive eigenmodes within them.

There's probably some math to define the ideal radius/pattern shape, but I just used a doorknob hole cutter the few times I made them before switching to a dowel 'X' framework attached to panel stiffeners.

GM

Hide this!Advertise here!