Ladies & Gentlemen - The Emken - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2012, 04:07 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
JRKO, are you placing these new speakers into corners? I know you were accustomed to two 15" drivers pounding out bass so it will be interesting how you acclimate yourself to 'smaller' speakers with less drivers. Please continue to let us know.
When I tell my friends these are 'little speakers' they just look confused. I'm 6"5' and 260lb so almost everything is little for me

They are 2/3 of the way along my room in free air firing down its length. They are pointed straight and true rather than being toed in, wit the FT17H in outside positions on top. I would say the bass is very accurate and plenty deep for 'normal listening' and low level, evening listening.

I just have this idea of a 3rd unit of a similar size in the middle with 2x 15" doing duty. I just can't forget that tight, bottomless bass......
Old 9th March 2012, 06:29 PM   #32
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
Don't recall ever seeing even a sim of a Fonken, so no clue how close to aperiodic it is. Ideally, we need a measured impedance to find out.
Not completely aperiodic, just towards aperiodic... an example impedance of the original FonkenPrime vrs a typical FE127.

Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif FonkenPrime-v-FE127-imp.gif (28.6 KB, 3371 views)
Old 9th March 2012, 09:16 PM   #33
jimbro is offline jimbro  United States
diyAudio Member

Guess I'm wrong again! I need to preface my future posts with "I'm probably full of it but I believe that -"
Old 9th March 2012, 09:26 PM   #34
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbro View Post
Guess I'm wrong again! I need to preface my future posts with "I'm probably full of it but I believe that -"

see my signature line - works both ways actually
Old 10th March 2012, 03:24 AM   #35
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
>>> and its vent harmonics 'color' its mids...

Oh, that sounds interesting. Who doesn't want a little color? I love a bit of personality with my speakers. Thanks GM.

I wonder if an Onken falls into the same territory as a Karlson (never had the pleasure of hearing either) by having its own distinctive personality (with its fans and detractors).
You're welcome! Actually, I like mine a bit on the 'dry' side, but I assume it's mostly due to having ~life long tinnitus.

I've only done one true 'Onken', the Altec 360, but a number of the Jensen Ultraflexes it's based on as well as similar equally large single vent MLTLs and the latter are a bit better damped with little/no audibly 'colored' mids, so my preference and what I recommend in lieu of either.

The various Karlsons are either 4th, 6th or 8th order band-pass alignments, so no comparison since they will typically have a much more efficient mid-bass with more resonant mids and less bass than the large reflexes.

GM
Old 10th March 2012, 05:05 AM   #36
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Not completely aperiodic, just towards aperiodic...
Thanks, I assumed as much, but always nice to know for sure. Looks like what I strive for in my MLTL alignments and knowing how 'tight' they sound, no doubt yours do too.

Here's the simmed impedance for my ~10.58 ft^3 net MLTL:

GM
Attached Images
File Type: gif eminence Beta 12LTA MLTL simmed impedance.gif (7.0 KB, 1431 views)
Old 10th March 2012, 07:40 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Nice.
Old 10th March 2012, 08:44 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
Looks like what I strive for in my MLTL alignments and knowing how 'tight' they sound, no doubt yours do too.
I'd definitely say the Emken sounds 'tight' - thats what makes the sound accurate to me. leading edges of notes, reverb, decay etc etc all really 'tight'
Old 10th March 2012, 12:24 PM   #39
Vix is offline Vix  Yugoslavia
diyAudio Member

Thinking about the Emken; they seem to make a nice fullranger "base" which could be extended top and bottom, if later one desires more top and bottom end
So, bass: I don't know how low they go, but being that Eminence is 12" fullrange driver, it may need help below 50 Hz or so. If one has a couple of 15" that could do bass, why not build a pair of such subs:
Sub-Woofer Controller

Top end: If one is not happy with the top end of Emken by itself, then it seems like a good base for F.A.S.T. type speaker. Add your favourite 3" driver on top of Emken. May be in a spheric enclosure to reduce diffraction. Could be Fostex, Markaudio, or this one: 3D sound

First order crossover, anywhere from 250-1000 hz , depending on the fullranger. The drawback would be decreased sensitivity (matched to the fullrage one), passively or better actively...
Just my thoughts....
Old 10th March 2012, 02:31 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Like many wide range drivers the 12lta is easy to enhance on top and bottom. It just does it at 97db per watt. To keep the cabinet as slim as possible a 12" powered woofer could be used. On top I happen to like the way Eminence's 1001 tweeter sounds with a 1.0uf cap (plus or minus .5uf to taste). The radio shack pod will be ok too but to me it sounds too delicate (many will like this). The 12lta's personality is a bit more bombastic and is suited by a woofer and tweeter that match it's enthusiastic performance.

Hide this!Advertise here!