Ladies & Gentlemen - The Emken - Page 38 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st July 2012, 10:48 AM   #371
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
Do please try your Emkens without first. Would be good to get a second opinion along with Dave & Chris' of the changes made

Its the end of the month so I'll put the question out there.

Any tests yet fellas?
Old 31st July 2012, 08:38 PM   #372
sippy is offline sippy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I went into town today and after the important bits were out of the way, I went to the art store to look for enabling things......no caligraphic pens, only model paint was Humbrol acrylic.........Zig glue?
Zig is no longer imported, same as Letraset non bleeding 'Super' white graphic paper.
The latter upset me deeply, good job I have stock.
I almost wish I'd not cut the dust caps out. Enable is ways away, even if words / experience says it does / will / might not/ not cure some ills in this instance, its good to know where I might have to head well in advance.
I know mine will sound slightly different to yours JKRO, I'm really interested to hear how they sound just from your description and the wood will be here in perfect time and all things will be considered with deep thought, noted in triplicate through the correct channels.
The 12Lta's get their running time........ wrapped in towels!!!!
Old 5th August 2012, 12:21 PM   #373
diyAudio Member

Ah! The Proms! Is there anything better for blasting out on a Sunday afternoon?

"A very special performance of Britain's best loved music for royal occasions - Handel's Water Music suites and the Music for the Royal Fireworks. Both works were originally performed outside - on the River Thames and in Green Park, and in this Jubilee year, conductor Hervé Niquet recreates the spectacular atmosphere of those occasions. He brings the huge forces of the remarkable French orchestra Le Concert Spirituel to London, with eighty players, including no less than 18 oboes, all playing specially made instruments that reproduce those used in Georgian England."

It on BBC iPlayer for those who can access it - pure bliss
Old 5th August 2012, 01:50 PM   #374
sippy is offline sippy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Too busy watching Ben Ainslie take gold.
And the bint up-stairs is doing a weeks worth of housework, so music with detail is out.
I have been listening to the Lta's, got them propped up against my current speakers and with music from the 60's, they don't sound too bad in free air.
Must also speak to the wood cutting guy, I forgot to note a chamfer on the cutting list.
Old 6th August 2012, 04:52 PM   #375
ebag4 is offline ebag4  United States
diyAudio Member

I have what is likely a stupid question I would like to ask. I will be recieving a pair of the 12LTAs later this week. I will play with them on open baffle but ultimately they will likely go into a box for my son who does not have the space required for an OB. To get these speakers to fit in his space they will likely be located in a space that is too close to walls, at least on one side. To accomodate his space I would like to make a narrower version of the EmKen that utilize a larger "cylindrical head" to accomodate the actual driver. This head would be open to the tower base internally. My question is, are these types of alignments changeable assuming you maintain the volume and vent space? Of course I would have to ensure that there is adaquate space around the driver as well. I envision building the head out of laminated rings glued together, this would also allow for an internal cavity with variations to reduce sound bouncing back through the cone.
Somthing like this:

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by ebag4; 6th August 2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 6th August 2012, 05:01 PM   #376
diyAudio Member

These designs are VERY specific (thank goodness for Planet10 & his generosity/curiosity) so I don't think you'd be able to 'adapt' the design

To be honest the 12LTA is great in a sealed box and the size you're talking about would be pretty good on bass and in a sealed box its tight & fast. Have a look for another thread on the 12LTA started by Godzilla. I participated and we had a hoot!! Its the biggest thread on the driver on DIYAudio with the most info.

Not a bad look btw your design
Old 6th August 2012, 05:10 PM   #377
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

You could reconfigure to look like that. All the appropriate detail would need to change, and too keep the driver height appropriate they would be much deeper.

dave
Old 6th August 2012, 05:14 PM   #378
diyAudio Member

really? wow!

wont the 'head' act as a sort of rear chamber and change how the restrictive ports are loaded? Also volume looks to be 60% of Emken

Learning all the time........
Old 6th August 2012, 05:53 PM   #379
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKO View Post
really? wow!

wont the 'head' act as a sort of rear chamber and change how the restrictive ports are loaded? Also volume looks to be 60% of Emken
There would need to be no restriction in the transition from the column to the head. There may need to be additional damping at the bottom.

The reduction in width may require as much or more than a doubling of the depth if made as skinny as the illustration.

dave
Old 6th August 2012, 06:04 PM   #380
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
The reduction in width may require as much or more than a doubling of the depth if made as skinny as the illustration
Aha - so volume is still important for the tuning to work. At double the depth would the slots have to be longer and narrower?

Hide this!Advertise here!