Ladies & Gentlemen - The Emken - Page 23 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th May 2012, 04:59 AM   #221
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

here's one:

Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif beta-12LTA-FR.gif (27.0 KB, 865 views)
Old 7th May 2012, 08:41 AM   #222
Toppsy is offline Toppsy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Speaker Crossover Chart and Capacitance vs. Frequency Calculator(High-pass)

Car Audio - Speaker Crossover Chart and Capacitance vs. Frequency Calculator(High-pass)
Old 7th May 2012, 08:42 AM   #223
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
20kHz? Aww for goodness sake!! I've looked through posts on my other 12LTA build with Godzilla and he was using a 103dB tweeter and toned down from 1.5uf to 1uF. I guess the shallow slope and higher efficiency driver would have given him more treble in the lower reaches.

Me? I followed blindly/deafly apparently I know more now but didn't rethink the crossover for the Emken build..........

I'll get something more on the FT17H. Maybe 1uF + 1uF + 1.5uF in parallel, which should get me to 5700hZ ish
Old 7th May 2012, 02:38 PM   #224
diyAudio Member

Yes, my tweeter has more tweet than yours lol... but still use your ears when determining the right sound (for you). Everyone's room/tastes are different so i don't like to say with certainty someone is doing something wrong. In the end, it's all about the music and our enjoyment regardless of measurements. Of the options i've been faced with I enjoy the 12lta on ob... but i also enjoyed it in a small sealed box. I don't have the skills to build an Emken (but i've built a few back horns using smaller drivers and understand how a cabinet can play a major role in overall sound). When determining your crossover and cap values why not start from where you are now and simply add (or reduce) the value in .5uf increments? You can go smaller (.33uf or even less) when you feel you are narrowing it down to something perfect. I just get it close and enjoy the goodness i've achieved. If i can't get any goodness i box the drivers up and move onto something else. The 12lta is loaded with goodness as are so many drivers! Eventually i will have to move out (probably to a small apartment) and the 12lta's will have to go! Then i will focus on smaller drivers again and fine tune for my new listening environment(s). I'm looking forward to it... but i do not expect the same level of easy dynamics i'm getting from the larger drivers. But maybe i will learn to appreciate the finer details, speed and liquid midranges associated with smaller drivers.

Personally, i would not cross too low with the 12lta unless using a circuit to tame its extended response. This introduces additional complication i am not willing to face but that's not to say it isn't a worthwhile pursuit. I just want to keep things as simple as possible... and enjoy.
Old 7th May 2012, 03:14 PM   #225
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
here's one:
Looks like the theoretical ~3553 Hz XO point is spot on.

GM
Old 7th May 2012, 03:35 PM   #226
sippy is offline sippy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the graph David and also to Toppsy for the link.
Now I can 'see' what's going on, things are slightly clearer.
Old 7th May 2012, 11:13 PM   #227
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

I wonder if the style of phase plug that Zu uses on their 10'' drivers may benefit this 12'' offering?.. It's just a big blank or can style with some lathing on the top surface etc.. Might be worth giving it a go with a round blank of wood approx the same size and see from there.. Interesting thread, and seems like these drivers could be used in many different ways..

Omen Def Loudspeaker | Zu Audio
Old 8th May 2012, 11:15 AM   #228
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
Yes, my tweeter has more tweet than yours lol... but still use your ears when determining the right sound (for you)....... I don't have the skills to build an Emken (but i've built a few back horns using smaller drivers and understand how a cabinet can play a major role in overall sound). When determining your crossover and cap values why not start from where you are now and simply add (or reduce) the value in .5uf increments?.......Eventually i will have to move out (probably to a small apartment) and the 12lta's will have to go!
I hadn't even thought about the additional 5db yours had and followed blindly. I understand simple crossovers better now - but nowhere near completely! I didn't nave the skills either but got the panels cut at the lumber yard and then had a local carpenter cut the bevels on his big old table - et voila!! skill less Emken!! I need to grab some smaller caps for the tuning but I'll let you know how it goes.

You dont have to get rid of the 12LTA in a smaller space. Give it a smaller box and a sub and off you go. Mine are only in a diddy little UK 1 bed apartment and you remember how big my last boxes where!!!!!
Old 8th May 2012, 01:46 PM   #229
diyAudio Member

When you nix the dustcap and add phase plug the 12lta frequency response changes. The peak around 7k smoothes out. If we are critically blending a tweeter to a tweaked driver we need to consider this.
Old 8th May 2012, 01:56 PM   #230
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Yeah, FWIW, back in the [not so] good old days when a DIYer had to rely on ones ears, making the -12 dB point up around 8 kHz where voice sibilance peaks was a good place to start for adding top end 'air' or 0.5 uF for a nominally 8 ohm tweeter with a bit of impedance rise.

GM

Hide this!Advertise here!