Ladies & Gentlemen - The Emken - Page 20 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th May 2012, 08:19 PM   #191
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKO View Post
Then again I can't comfortably fit into my friends Lotus Exige
Instanly brings a picture of my brother sitting in my (long gone) Europa. His forhead sticking out of the sunroof.

dave
Old 4th May 2012, 08:23 PM   #192
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
is that an all toob army Dave?

I've been wondering about toobs or SS class A like and F5
All tubes. The F1/F2/F3 are likely all good (F2J might be a real sweety). Nelson's new SIT based amps could be scarily like a triod amp without most of the downsides.

dave
Old 4th May 2012, 08:30 PM   #193
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
All tubes. The F1/F2/F3 are likely all good (F2J might be a real sweety). Nelson's new SIT based amps could be scarily like a triode amp without most of the downsides.

dave
no maintenance costs, just the initial entry $10,000 /pr - with his required front end investment, I doubt DIYers will soon see these particular output devices available for home builds

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 4th May 2012, 08:34 PM   #194
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
I drove an MX5 (miata) before I filled out/matured etc etc Only with the roof down thou

Listened to a couple of the tracks Chris mentioned. Would like to concentrate on 1 thou so how about Constantinople? Here are my listening notes

"Finger strike is fleshy rather than struck with implement on the tabla(?) At the beginning I can hear the extra breath used in the initial exhalation in the vocals. String bass being bowed (no idea of the actual instrument cello or double bass?) is phenomenal with the friction of bow and string almost palpable. The dynamics between slight hollow striking of the tabla and the long draw of the bow contrasts nicely with the string instrument (guitar/sitar) and vocal tones and the track finishes as a nice 'round' reducing to the opening tabla strikes again"

BTW do the smaller FR boxes do any of the bass on that track?
Old 4th May 2012, 08:35 PM   #195
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Instanly brings a picture of my brother sitting in my (long gone) Europa. His forhead sticking out of the sunroof.

dave

try three on board - my now wife perched on my lap in a mid 70's length evening party dress - believe it or not that extra 110lbs threw off the cornering characteristics and made for a bumpy ride

"Dear Penthouse: I never really believed these letters were true, then this happened ......"

40yrs on, I'm entitled to remember it anyway I like
Old 4th May 2012, 08:47 PM   #196
diyAudio Member

Default modding the Fane

Quote:
I drove an MX5 (miata) before I filled out/matured etc etc Only with the roof down thou

Listened to a couple of the tracks Chris mentioned. Would like to concentrate on 1 thou so how about Constantinople? Here are my listening notes

"Finger strike is fleshy rather than struck with implement on the tabla(?) At the beginning I can hear the extra breath used in the initial exhalation in the vocals. String bass being bowed (no idea of the actual instrument cello or double bass?) is phenomenal with the friction of bow and string almost palpable. The dynamics between slight hollow striking of the tabla and the long draw of the bow contrasts nicely with the string instrument (guitar/sitar) and vocal tones and the track finishes as a nice 'round' reducing to the opening tabla strikes again"

BTW do the smaller FR boxes do any of the bass on that track?

nice notes - for me this track is exactly all about the array of textures you describe,
flesh on drumskins, and the tension of horsehair bow on double bass (Michael Arnopol ) , and that might actually be an udu drum

on the Post Modern Blues listen for his fingerprints being worn away on Michael's fretting and slap work

and let's not overlook Dave Douglas' trumpet work throughout the entire album - for me one of the stellar greats of the past 20yrs

saw close to this same troupe live about 10yrs ago - freakin awesome

I guess "if this isn't jazz, I'll have to wait 'til the real thing comes along" (Companion - Live at the Green Mill)

for company
in the 21st century
i go to the club, talk through the show,
i'm so hip there's nothing about jazz
that I don't know
i read the critics evaluation
short enough to mirror the copy of
expensive public relations
i like a loud and noisy tune
if that's what everyone else thinks is cool
for company

Last edited by chrisb; 4th May 2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 4th May 2012, 10:36 PM   #197
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
I really enjoy Ahmad Jamal, both Nat & Cannonball Adderley for lighter listening/chilling out. I'm collecting Montreux Jazz Festival on vinyl and have the complete '75 and '77 sets now featuring all the biggies from the era.

I saw Melody Gardot and Jamie Cullum, amongst others, at the Ghent Jazz festival. I took this picture Jazz@Night on the final evening (after a great meal and on the way to a private jam session in the vaulted stone basement of the hotel we were staying at - 4am finish). They have a stage on one side of the canal/river with some audience and the rest are on the other side!! Very colourful, very cool

Melody Gardot has a new album out soon
Old 4th May 2012, 11:33 PM   #198
diyAudio Member

Quote:
There are a number of ways of approaching this, search for 98 cent whizzer trick. I used pluff because there was some within easy reach (the dog loves relieving pillows and quilts of their pluff. It was not done with any precision just quick & nasty,

2 things are accomplished, the air space between the whizzer and the main cone is damped and the whizzer is braced against the main cone with a lossy damping mechanism.

Another thing that i will try is the felt spots on the back of the whizzer (ref Goodmans Axiom and Sansui F10)

dave

those little loop bits? by any chance could you provide some picture based examples of what you've done to the driver so i can mirror them on my own attempt please?

on a side note, my father seemingly had some of axioms in a big square brown box thing and i gave them to a charity shop as i said i didn't want his old crap *manly tears*

Old 4th May 2012, 11:52 PM   #199
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Sansui F10

6 1/2" FR

My A201s were the same as you've posted. I have seen felt dots (lots of vintage drivers went thru here)

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F10whizzers.jpg (51.8 KB, 605 views)
File Type: jpg sansuiF10.jpg (23.7 KB, 276 views)
Old 5th May 2012, 12:35 AM   #200
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
.....they benefit from help in the bass department
.......and the mid-bass, lower mids.

GM

Hide this!Advertise here!