Ladies & Gentlemen - The Emken - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2012, 07:27 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
I think he meant it looked like tops / bottoms weren't on yet, hence "unfinished" = not fully buttoned up ?
oops - yeah unfinished
Old 7th March 2012, 07:31 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
you have some sims for that ...... ?

if P10 is OK with that - post plans , so we can sometimes make same ones , as quick'n'dirt (but more than good ) simple box ......

and - almost forgot - Fugly !

No sims I'm afraid. Plans are secret. fugly? oooooooooo yeah!
Old 7th March 2012, 08:05 PM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vix View Post
p.s. I must notice that it sounds a bit like an oxymoron " The biggest mini...". Anyway looks like something which is going to provide the sound of mini-monitors, but which could go loud enough that you never miss a bigger speaker.
The original intention was that this would be another stab at a "mini" PA with hifi pretensions... from James feedback we have at least the hifi pretensions covered -- and the driver can't help but get better with treatment. Need to find a complementary bass driver for it that can be fitted in a simlar footprint box forPA use.

Zilla's comments on the 12LTA goosed me to move on the project. I have just found where my set were hiding and we will be doingour own build. I have phase plugs and will be using the Foster tweeter that came in the RadioShack tweeter pod.

dave
Old 7th March 2012, 08:07 PM   #14
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
if P10 is OK with that - post plans
I am undecided but there will likely be a token fee for plans, althou we could stand a couple more betas (for the boxes and the plans) before they become officially available. Serious inquiries only please.

dave
Old 7th March 2012, 08:12 PM   #15
Vix is online now Vix  Yugoslavia
diyAudio Member

As an added bonus, it looks like it can be easily converted into something like Econowave project. That is, only if you don't like it as it is. Just keep another (external) crossover and waveguide handy, it could be quickly converted from one type to another
Old 7th March 2012, 09:29 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
the driver can't help but get better with treatment. Need to find a complementary bass driver for it that can be fitted in a simlar footprint box forPA use.
Too right. The phase plug is a start and I'd be interested in the 'enable' process for them. They are hifi enough for me at the moment

But I would REALLY love to use the 2 Beta15's and plate amps I have tucked away. I was thinking a single unit with opposing drivers with an amp each tuned to taste.

When I'm back from the US I'll be hiring a venue to run em LOUD - I'll let you know how they do as a PA
Old 7th March 2012, 09:36 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

some more pix for you guys

Last pic shows them as they are at the moment. They've been lined with wadded cotton. I've yet to cut the corners of the tops & bases - gotta get its done but listening is getting in the way
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010456.jpg (301.5 KB, 2648 views)
File Type: jpg P1010452.jpg (325.2 KB, 2584 views)
File Type: jpg P1010451.jpg (292.1 KB, 2517 views)
File Type: jpg P1010462.jpg (276.8 KB, 2202 views)
File Type: jpg P1010460.jpg (301.2 KB, 2179 views)
File Type: jpg P1010461.jpg (254.8 KB, 784 views)
File Type: jpg P1010466.jpg (273.2 KB, 774 views)
File Type: jpg P1010468.jpg (272.2 KB, 733 views)
File Type: jpg P1010483.jpg (326.8 KB, 1015 views)

Last edited by JRKO; 7th March 2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 7th March 2012, 09:43 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

can you post up some further details on this entire project? i am currently planning various enclosures for a 12" fane driver that (in a thread on here) was adjudged very similar to the driver you have used. i'd be interested in seeing stuff like predicted performance etc and the possibility of modifying this for my fane drivers.

i too have found the detail that my fanes (in free air) produce is very impressive, combined with what feels to be a huge sound stage, they fill a room without being 'loud' which is a very nice aural experience but currently lacking in bass.
Old 7th March 2012, 09:48 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Dave (Planet10) is the brains behind the operation. I'm just a monkey with a saw & screwdriver who happened to be in the right place at the right time.

However this monkey couldn't be happier with the result
Old 7th March 2012, 09:57 PM   #20
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKO View Post
Dave (Planet10) is the brains behind the operation. I'm just a monkey with a saw & screwdriver who happened to be in the right place at the right time.

However this monkey couldn't be happier with the result

dude, don't ever start listening 'til after it's completed / finished

Hide this!Advertise here!