Ladies & Gentlemen - The Emken

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well although they do produce bass down to pretty low freq. I miss the oomph of active subs

It just so happens that I have 2 sub amps and a pair of Beta 15's..........;)

They could be smallish as I can tweak the output upwards slightly on the amp to counteract the smaller size - I know thats not a REAL solution but it would work for now as I dont listen at high levels.

I've chatted to Mrs JRKO about the woofer towers Dave mentioned earlier and they are 'not acceptable' - I may have mentioned 2x12" or 3x10" in the same style box with the current one on top....:rofl: :nownow: :headshot: :dead:

Afternoon / morning all,
more news.......Company X did not re-imburse my money, so this morning I got to see the manager, they guy who picked and delivered my wood AND the accounting person.
Manager gave the picker a written warning as it was his second faux pas and the accounting person was ordered to pay me by B.A.T.
I've found a place that will sell me wood AND cut it on site, I figured Lloyds cert. wood might be........ a bit OTT for a beta so its regular grade marine. The lass who lives upstairs had a new bed delivered Saturday, so I made a mock-up of the EmKen box from the card packing and slipped it over my current speakers to see what I would be looking at. The only big bit is the 12lta. Nicky asked what I was playing last week, told her that I was running in new loudspeakers.......apparently playing the 12lta's sat magnet down on their packing boxes beams sound strait into her seating area.
They don't sound too bad - reminded me of my first radio.
I did read that JKRO had a pair of Eminence 15's and some plate amps.......maybe a Jensen Imperial would hit the spot.
OR reduce his home to rubble.

Fishyness huh......I have a triplet of Ugly Stick beach casters from my youth, 2 x 13's (actually 12' 6"'s) and a 16', I use Shakespear fixed spools for floats and Abu 6500C's for everything else. 20yrs ago I looked at Shimano multipliers along side the Abu's and was deeply un-impressed. A year after this I bought a Shimano 'bait runner' f/s reel that was some thing very special, till I dropped it on the rocks. I cant work out how to attach pictures else I'd show you a recent catch.

No no, subs are allowed and will likely be forthcoming

Just not a Jensen Imperial (as pictured) or another pair of cabs the same size as the Emken with the originals perched on top!!

Attachments

• jensen horn.jpg
    jensen horn.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 290
Sippy, just a building hint but build the sides first (as they are the largest, heaviest component) and then tack the top & base on to hold it all together. The font will need some battening so you dont screw through the chamfered edge. Attach the 'holey brace' securely to the back and then fit it to the sides. The front should then screw to the brace well and pull everything together.

Hope that makes sense - oh and have another strong old chap with you as they are flaming heavy. Just a completed side panel may weigh more than your current speakers :D

Thanks JKRO, I've studied the pics you posted long and hard - I even managed to do a dimensioned drawing from them that came close to the beta Dave sent me!!!
The wood place have said I can select the sheets to cut, if they are really strait, I will be able to get away without screws for everything bar the port extensions and removable back, just a few short block battens for the front / side interface that can be hacked out once its an open backed box.
I'm planning to finish these in white tinted polyester resin, with Speedkote 'instant' gloss resin top coat, all sprayed - very quick and cheap 'piano gloss' but it wont hide any flaws what so ever.
The P.10 drawing I have has the vent tuning options sheet, the longest port shown is the same as yours, so I can well imagine those sides are killer heavy. I'm going to build with the shortest ports first to see what happens - in reality I think this might turn out to be a damp squib in my room as it's plasterboard over minimum stud-work and very absorbent, the exact opposite of your room.
Caption for the pic you posted:
Pic1 - Jensen Imperial 'That fluff is stuck to the roof of my mouth, could you have a look and maybe remove it?'
Person 'Sure, I'll do it now'
Pic2 - Person 'Arrrrrh'
J.I. : 'Om nom nom'

Any convenient breaks in the weather over there in BC Dave, Chris? :umbrella:

Summer's finally arrived - a balmy 28Celcius on my patio yesterday afternoon - had a nice picnic dinner & Argentinian Malbec at Smuggler's Cove in Ten Mile Point yesterday (has anyone tried a South American Red that they didn't enjoy?)

Dave may well be shamed into taking those measures - once he's wrestled most of his websites' updates into "submission" - i.e. sometime before end of next month

but, I wouldn't hold my breath

Thanks Chris. I do like a few of the South American Reds. You may like, if you can get you hands on it, this Lebanese red - Chateau Musar. Its a deep, deep wine with great flavour all across the tongue. There is also the younger brother too 'Hochar' - Musar is about £20+ a bottle but I drink rarely its not an issue :cheers:

As for the measurements its not a problem on the wait. It'll just be nice to 'see' what I'm hearing - no shaming required ;)

Last but not least it would be nice to have a picnic but its rained so much over here we have just had a hosepipe ban lifted and massive flooding in other areas of the country. I'm 2min walk from the sea in a 1st floor apartment. If the flooding gets me London is gone - but at least I can use the Emken as a fairly substantial canoe!!

Hi
JRKO I think that you may actually build a couple of small sealed subs with Beta 15s. Yes, small sealed. That's what I am planning to do with my Beta 15ns by using an amp ang Linkwitz transformcircuit. Even though excursion may quickly come to the limit I am not so worried because I don't listen loud, but I like to hear that bottom octave...regarding Waf I am planning to cheat and build them to look like a pair of coffe desks :)

I live not 3mins from the best surf beach in Cornwall, which is Porthtowan, not Fistral (which is full of drunken idiots)
EmCanoe........ cant wait.
It'd be great it was sea-worthy, I could do with something to diddle about in when the surfs flat.
I'm hoping these don't need sub/s, I've already has to show the lass upstairs my amp to prove to her I cant turn the bass down.

Hi
JRKO I think that you may actually build a couple of small sealed subs with Beta 15s. Yes, small sealed. That's what I am planning to do with my Beta 15ns by using an amp ang Linkwitz transformcircuit. Even though excursion may quickly come to the limit I am not so worried because I don't listen loud, but I like to hear that bottom octave...regarding Waf I am planning to cheat and build them to look like a pair of coffe desks :)

Yeah they measure look good in winisd in a small box. I always go with stereo subs

The Masur sounds like something that would nice to be gifted - clearly my palate or income hasn't elevated to the point that the $60 a bottle price is irrelevant - it's a lot easier to enjoy at under $20

Hehe! Dont get the wrong idea my income level is low! Its just that we maybe only drink about 1 bottle of 'premium' wine a month and dont normally finish it in one night as we savour it. We don't get takeaways, go the pub, smoke etc etc so we have the money for 'better that we could'. Also I bought 2 cases a few years ago when it was better 'value'. I suffer from a wealthy Father who gave me a good 'vintage' upbringing that I can't afford now.

We have a great MW with a little shop locally. He does great tastings and has this fab little section I call the gambling shelves. He buys single bottles from people whose husbands/relatives have died that they are not interested in. The labels are not always perfect and the cork may look dodgy so you take your chances. I'm 7 for 7 so far. My best was a 19yr old Bordeaux with everything but the vineyard on the damaged label. I took it to friends for dinner but it took nearly 12hrs in a decanter to open up!! We had it at ours with Sunday lunch instead of Saturday dinner at their place!!!!

I have a favourite 'house red'. Its a Minervois, from the Languedoc-Roussillon wine region of South West France. £4.50 a bottle and it gives a good account of itself

I also have a step-father-in-law(?) who is a wine expert now helping to set up a new vineyard locally. He gives me tips on what to buy thats sensible ££ for amazing taste

I live not 3mins from the best surf beach in Cornwall, which is Porthtowan, not Fistral (which is full of drunken idiots)
EmCanoe........ cant wait.
It'd be great it was sea-worthy, I could do with something to diddle about in when the surfs flat.
I'm hoping these don't need sub/s, I've already has to show the lass upstairs my amp to prove to her I cant turn the bass down.

You could take them kayaking!!! They dont 'need' subs but my last speakers (pic in this thread somewhere) had 15inchers in about 6cft to I miss the ULTIMATE grunt, but thats not what the the Emkens are about. They do plenty but with subs I can turn them on/off as I like for more fun:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.