Ladies & Gentlemen - The Emken - Page 17 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd May 2012, 11:04 PM   #161
diyAudio Member

What is the dimensions of the wood phase plug? Any drawing? Is it difficult to make without access to a woodturner? How is it installed on the driver? Thanks.
Old 3rd May 2012, 11:14 PM   #162
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
That said though, some people measure with a $2 panasonic capsule. And it works darn good too. You could do it too

Beaming is only related to angle. However, the closer you are, the more small movements change angle.
I'll have to look into the 2 buck option! Is there Mac friendly software or is it windows? I can run it under emulation on the Mac but prefer native. What do you use/recommend and if you don't mind me asking what are the costs?

As for beaming I sit about 10ft from the Emken's which are facing straight (ie no toe in) with the tweeters on the cabs in the outside position. They are 2ft from the sidewalls and 6 from the back wall (all measurements made after some local beer and with my tongue sticking out) I get ok depth in all 3 seats on the couch but only get image and 'nearly' no speakers in the central seat. I know that integrating the tweeter into the baffle will benefit the image as I had them like this in a previous set up. Be interested to see what you guys come up with.

Also I should mention that my 12LTA is 50mm from the top of the front baffle unlike the design states and Chris built. I was having difficulty with 'perceived' weakness in the 18mm birch ply and the cuts required. However it was 'designed in' as well as I can get the tweeters into the corner above, REALLy close to the 12LTA
Old 3rd May 2012, 11:19 PM   #163
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algar_emi View Post
What is the dimensions of the wood phase plug? Any drawing? Is it difficult to make without access to a woodturner? How is it installed on the driver? Thanks.

Mine are 44mm dia 62.5mm long and about 38mm before the transition starts

I got mine made
Old 3rd May 2012, 11:46 PM   #164
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKO View Post
I'll have to look into the 2 buck option! Is there Mac friendly software or is it windows?
I hav eone of those 2-buck mics. But also a calibrated cheap Dayton, 3 cheap beringher (calibrated) & 1 not. I use (not often enuff for FR) Fuzzmeasure and an Edirol FA66 mic pre ADC/DAC. An old Dual G5 tower (gifted to me) for music server, but likely the Core2 Duo for FR measures (especially outdoors (wher ei should easily be able to get 15' before the 1st reflection (issues with holding the mic in the right place abound thou).

dave
Old 4th May 2012, 12:58 AM   #165
diyAudio Member

I think REW works on Mac now. It's free, but throw the guy a few bucks. I'm changing over to REW now. It's got an amazing suite of measurement abilities. It's no longer a room eq wizard (REW). It's very comprehensive.

I just gave my last panasonic away or I'd offer, but it's very handy. Much easier to use than my Behringer because it's just a mini jack.
Old 4th May 2012, 01:48 AM   #166
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

These are a whole lot better in my house (even thou i don't have the amp i'd like on them). Tweeters added. Pluff stuffed behind the whizzer (just a quicky)

dave
Old 4th May 2012, 01:49 AM   #167
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
I think REW works on Mac now.
It does.

dave
Old 4th May 2012, 03:21 AM   #168
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKO View Post
- if that makes sense in my non technical lingo
Thanks, yes, it does, so guessing it's a rubbery type of sealant that may need to be extended further down the cone and/or a diluted amount added to the whizzer bell. Given my druthers though, I prefer the sonic signature of the traditional dope.

GM
Old 4th May 2012, 03:28 AM   #169
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
no question of the need, but more of selecting which type / model to match any particular woofer

dare I ask $? of the 212 8A
True, but my point was that at 12" - up, one really needs a coax unless the XO point is either down around 1.3-1.5 kHz or only way up high for a bit of top end 'air'.

Well, my memory says they were ~$700/pr., but if the $540 for a single is today's rate, there's better bang/buck from offshore brands, though not as 'sweet' sounding in my limited experience.

GM
Old 4th May 2012, 04:04 AM   #170
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafhenderson View Post
how will those sound?

i was looking at these
http://www.sonido.hu/adat_pdf/swr-300.pdf
http://www.emspeaker.com/LB12_fiche_technique.pdf

then crossed over to the ribbons somewhere in the 8-10khz region.
Like a HE 12" coupled to a separate compression horn except with the 'oneness' of a single driver, i.e. excellent in both the near and far-field with a much larger 'sweet spot'.

This pairing makes no sense to me unless the woofer is coupled to a 35 Hz BLH and even then, most of its extended HF that one is paying dearly for will have to be XO'd out.

Ribbons have a very wide horizontal 'sweet spot', so to match up with a 12" it requires a XO point maybe too low for it work well, not to mention much of the SWR-300's HF will need to be XO'd out also. At 6-10 kHz, the ribbon will need a WG to ~match it up.

Overall, seems like a lot of wasted time/$$$/effort to me.

GM

Hide this!Advertise here!