Ladies & Gentlemen - The Emken

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
>>> I actually find that these start getting hard on the ears -- probably some resonance that can hopefully be tamed...

Hmmm, i can listen to the 12lta for quite a while without fatigue. Mine are on ob but i did not notice anything unusual in sealed boxes either and i listened quite critically. Currently mine are in a pretty large room (maybe 22' x 16' with 8' ceilings) behind them the wall is completely bricked (fireplace) and the rest is paneled. Carpet covers the entire floor and their is lots of soft furniture all around. I think they sound better here than in my much smaller 'man cave' that was extremely 'live' sounding.

I'm curious about the resonance you hear and if it's related to the driver or the cabinet (which seems to have thin panels). If you recall the song or find another which demonstrates this distortion please let me know so i can try to replicate and possibly help solve. Keep us posted.

Nice sim GM. Do you remember the size of the cabinet?

Last edited:
yes, they are acoustically small, hence the lack of bass, but they were designed to go into an alcove hard up against a wall along with several sub-woofers that the screen would cover. Don't recall if they were measured in-room per se, just that the HT receiver's room EQ flattened it all out at the LP to the family's satisfaction and still meet DD/DTS/THX reference, so played plenty loud at apparently low enough distortion.

GM

that's a nice size and compromise GM - I had 12LTA in a K12 whose rear chamber is around 1.3 cubic feet and could get peaks somewhat above 120dB at ~ 3 feet with ~ 3/16" peak to peak cone excursion on a tough to play drum album with one channel of a Crown rated 375W at 8 ohm. 12LTA could use another lb or two of magnet slug.

re:2-15 - only played these a few minutes in many years - good paper woofers - not shabby - pulled one for loading in a little Karlson X15 type with clone of 1966 slotted waveguide - JBL sold these at blowout for $200/cabinet shipped 3k miles - should have bought a dozen :D
http://imageshack.us/a/img812/8195/reflex.jpg

12LTA measures "deeper" than some pro 12" in K12 but lacks the snap of a real pro driver - it takes at least an 80oz slug to really push the coupler's load - it would be cool to have a hybrid of 12LTA with 54oz magnet and Cannabis Rex cone

Hey Dave - any more luck in taming the Emken?

I've tried the pluff & styrofoam wedge trick. The pluff didn't seem to do anything for me, but the styrofoam wedges x3 seemed to curtail a 'honk' - slight fuzziness on midrange notes, like strong female voice - I hadn't even noticed was there. Its fairly subtle, but still noticeable

Basketry

Have these received any treatment to cure the stamped steel syndrome? At the moment I'm applying plumbers epoxy putty + ductseal to all my screeching bass/mids and finding a dip in the upper mids where there was a nastiness.
Next victim my Polk 10s. I want them to be my shop sound but they're just too nasty as is. Got 12" Wolverines in BVR cabs just for fun. Not hifi as-is though.

Have these received any treatment to cure the stamped steel syndrome? At the moment I'm applying plumbers epoxy putty

I damped my drivers a good while ago now with the same stuff. I also cable-tied some felt to the inside of the frame legs to help with reflections.

I'll be interested to see the measurements comparisons Dave. As always thanks for your thorough approach

*does some math......
Well, these are no taller than the speakers I listen to now, its the extra width/depth and staring at a 12" driver that might end up with measles could be a bit intimidating at first.
I will be using 18mm for my build - weight will stop em flapping round in a breeze or falling over etc.

if we're still talking EmKens, did you perhaps mean 3" (inches / 76mm) below waist height?- if not your ceilings must be effen 'uge

HAHAHAHA yes I meant 3"!!! If it was 3' I'de be using the Emkens as headphnes :D

its the extra width/depth and staring at a 12" driver that might end up with measles could be a bit intimidating at first.
I will be using 18mm for my build - weight will stop em flapping round in a breeze or falling over etc.

You get used to the driver, especially if you use a phase plug thats a different colour. Maybe paint the plug the same colour as the EnABL dots? No worries about these flapping in the breeze or falling over! If you're playing 'em loud enough to flap around you'd already be dead from the sound pressure levels and if you walk/stumble into them you'll wish you were dead 'cos Dave designed the tough - they are really solid and REALLY hurt :whacko::h_ache:

Stunning looking cabs there from what ive seen.

Does the driver have to be located at the very top or is that personal preference?

I seem to think it would look better a little down from the top of the front panel.

Perhaps a 4" relief and a short plinth to regain the driver height?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Does the driver have to be located at the very top or is that personal preference?

No it doesn't. Situated close to the top makes a top mounted tweeter more suitable, and better suited for flipping a 2nd set upside down on top of them for more output. Or flipping them upside down on a similar size woofer box (i'm still on the hunt for some suitable 12")

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.