Ladies & Gentlemen - The Emken - Page 15 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd May 2012, 06:50 PM   #141
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
what sort of finish is on the surround?
I haven't looked closely -- accordian.

Quote:
I'm wondering if treating it and the first inch or so of the cone and maybe the lip of the whizzer would benefit from a sticky coating like used to seal Altec/GPA or similar cloth surrounds and on some cheap paper hinged 'FR' drivers to protect them from early failure.
The stuff we are using these days is ZIG 2-way glue.

dave
Old 3rd May 2012, 06:53 PM   #142
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Too heavy... hence a practical revision to 15mm ply.
15mm? Now you tell me I walk mine across the floor. I can lift them but its just too much effort......and I'm 250lb! wheels are going to help and I really like the inset ones pictures above
Old 3rd May 2012, 06:55 PM   #143
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
Dave, whats the little fella in front of your Emkens on the bench? Great pic for scale comparisons
Old 3rd May 2012, 07:01 PM   #144
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Art Deco Hummingbird houses?

GM
Old 3rd May 2012, 07:10 PM   #145
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKO View Post
15mm? Now you tell me I walk mine across the floor. I can lift them but its just too much effort......and I'm 250lb! wheels are going to help and I really like the inset ones pictures above
15mm is in response to my trying to lift them. Decidely a 2-man job.

dave
Old 3rd May 2012, 07:14 PM   #146
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKO View Post
Dave, whats the little fella in front of your Emkens on the bench? Great pic for scale comparisons
That is the µFonkenSET. Uses the 3" FF85wKeN. A real stunner those. Currently listening to a pair sitting on top of the woofTs we built for for the Mar-Kel70wT (xoed at 100Hz -- a bit low but what was installed)

Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Old 3rd May 2012, 07:42 PM   #147
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Let's say the first date certainly revealed there's no disguising this driver's provenance as a PA driver, and yes it reminds me of many of the things I didn't care for with both the Silver Iris coax (with the cheaper compression driver) and the Hammer Dynamics Super12 - both of with employ Eminence based drivers.
when i first heard my FANE clones i thought 'these are terrible'. i was still thinking that they were going to be fairly short lived even after i phase plugged them and the sound improved. after just leaving them to play some music (whilst occupied during another task), i found i was less inclined to notice their faults and usually become entirely immersed in the size of the sound drivers of this size produce. its almost like having headphones on (but without the same accuracy). i had some MA drivers at the same time i got these, the MA are undoubtedly very good drivers they just sounded small. they got loud but never seemed to be effortlessly loud, to the point i usually noticed their faults consistently because of the lack of saturation.

these PA type drivers are not the best in the world but they've certainly made my mind up that i am going to be buying a driver as close to 12" as i can for my real drivers. i'm hoping the EMS LB12 can produce the same experience but with more lifelike representation. failing that the sonido swr-300 has a very wide band range that should be able to have super tweeter assistance and give me the same kind of big sound experience.

Last edited by gafhenderson; 3rd May 2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 3rd May 2012, 07:56 PM   #148
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

At 12", a tweeter is pretty much mandatory, so if the budget allows, something like this is a far better choice: http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/downloads/212_8A.pdf

GM
Old 3rd May 2012, 07:57 PM   #149
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

effortless certainly does describe part of what they do so well -for me the big effort is enduring them for any length of time

Just kidding; I'm sure they'll settle down a bit, and the earlier point about habituation with smaller drivers is well made - I must have well over 5000 lifetime listening hours to that weight class alone. Even so, they haven't a chance of passing the DAF at my place - a not so subliminal factor in my assessment of any component, but might make a cute little bedroom speaker for Cal.
Old 3rd May 2012, 08:02 PM   #150
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
At 12", a tweeter is pretty much mandatory, so if the budget allows, something like this is a far better choice: http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/downloads/212_8A.pdf

GM
no question of the need, but more of selecting which type / model to match any particular woofer

dare I ask $? of the 212 8A

Last edited by chrisb; 3rd May 2012 at 08:08 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!