Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd May 2012, 02:24 AM   #111
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Yep.

dave
Old 2nd May 2012, 09:11 AM   #112
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
Oh my poor babies!!! Once they were world exclusives, unique in the galaxy!

Tomorrow they will be unique only in europe, and alas interest is shown in old Blighty herself!

Soon they will be...................dare I say it..................just speakers

Feeling nervous now. I hope you like the fruits of your design and Chris' labour
Old 2nd May 2012, 01:06 PM   #113
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKO View Post
Oh my poor babies!!! Once they were world exclusives, unique in the galaxy!

Tomorrow they will be unique only in europe, and alas interest is shown in old Blighty herself!

Soon they will be...................dare I say it..................just speakers

Feeling nervous now. I hope you like the fruits of your design and Chris' labour
paint racing stripes on yours. get in first on keeping them unique.
Old 2nd May 2012, 05:22 PM   #114
sippy is offline sippy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

LOL.......
I live in Cornwall, which is still 'Terra Incognita' as far as Europe and most of the British isles are concerned.
So, as far as uniqueness is concerned, your fair safe, unless I move back to my native Yorkshire.
Me, I've just come back from buying lamp oil for my tilly, theres gonna be some wreaking tonight*.
Damn, I wasn't supposed to let that slip - I'M GOING BASS FISHING, HONEST!

*reference to Jamaica Inn
Old 2nd May 2012, 05:55 PM   #115
diyAudio Member

Bass fishing it is then! I hope everyone loves them and many are built. They are more complex than pretty much any other 12LTA cabinet but in my view, well worth the effort.

Its just not the same as 'they're the ONLY build of a secret design by a tortured math genius trapeze artist, who lives deep in the woods of Victoria BC with a clowder (collective noun) of cats and hosts secret annual communes for home built monkey coffin fanciers and who can be heard late at night under the full moon howling to the 10th planet.....'*

Now back to business. What did Dave & Chris think of them?

*'Most' of this information is in Dave's public profile - the rest.......well I took an artistic liberty or three And darn it I wish I could make it for the 9th Annual Vancouver Island diyFEST 2012
Old 2nd May 2012, 06:09 PM   #116
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKO View Post
What did Dave & Chris think of them?
It's still morning here.

dave
Old 2nd May 2012, 06:38 PM   #117
diyAudio Member

Don't keep me/us in suspense too long!! btw I only just found out its wednesday
Old 3rd May 2012, 02:23 AM   #118
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Had a quick listen in Chris' shop today. Less than ideal conditions. iPod (with lossless files, and external DAC i believe, into a 40 yr olf HK 430 receiver, up on work bench far from any boundary reinforcement, and in a cavernous space -- Chris took a picture which ill post later).

After a couple songs i did an in place dustcapectomy which improved things. They still only have some 5 hrs on them.

So some comments:
1/ they remind me of some of the things i don't like about the Silver Iris.
2/ current tuning is suitable for pushed up near a wall in a smalliish room ... for PA work tuning will need to be higher (i'm going to do a sheet which explains and illustrates different tuning for different apps.
3/ they need a tweeter to bring some balance
4/ ATM optimal listening distance is 15-20m (middle of the room)

These will need more run-in, a tweeter and installing up the mountain before proper evaluation.

dave
Old 3rd May 2012, 03:44 AM   #119
diyAudio Member

Theres a BIB done with this driver in the multiway forum, search BBBIB. I think theres a crossover laid out there somewhere in the thread.
Old 3rd May 2012, 11:17 AM   #120
sippy is offline sippy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So some comments:
1/ they remind me of some of the things i don't like about the Silver Iris.
2/ current tuning is suitable for pushed up near a wall in a smalliish room ... for PA work tuning will need to be higher (i'm going to do a sheet which explains and illustrates different tuning for different apps.
3/ they need a tweeter to bring some balance
4/ ATM optimal listening distance is 15-20m (middle of the room)

These will need more run-in, a tweeter and installing up the mountain before proper evaluation.
1/ I've never listened to 'Silver Iris', what dont you like about these?
2/ I have a smallish room at 18ft x 13ft x 8ft 6inches - current 2 1/2 way rear ported BR, 90dB/1w@1m, 14inches from rear wall, listening distance 12ft, can sometimes sound 'dis-jointed' in the bass in a fairly well damped room. In the past I've had large-ish sealed 2way stand mounters hard up against the rear wall and liked the sound alot..... some how the bass sounds more direct / tighter. So against a wall would be peachy for me.
Tuning sheet sounds like fun.
3/ I did read all I could find on this forum about the 12lta, Godzilla and JRKO's 12lta in 3cf box thread was most informative, so was expecting the need for a tweeter. Fostex ft17h is the prime suspect I guess.
4/ I woke up this am and my g/f & I appear to have food poisoning - looked at Davids post and in a moment of confused delirium read: '15 - 20m ......... up the mountain' then wondered 'Is Canada metric or imperial' then thought: It must be meters, as no one in their right mind would listen at 15miles.
Sigh.
Now to phone and email Tesco to tell em their 'X' soup is trying to kill my g/f and I

Still smiling (just)
Darrell

Hide this!Advertise here!