Ladies & Gentlemen - The Emken - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th April 2012, 04:44 PM   #101
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleinCowichan View Post
Two of those on the back, a foot on the front, and a telescoping handle to drag it around like luggage!

KM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKO View Post
I like those wheels Chris! I was thinking about popping a couple of static wheels an inch or two from the base on the back with a small flip-down handle on back at the top. Just lean it backwards and voila!.....

....a matching L & R set of Emken Luggage
At approx 1000mm finished height, a simple recessed (not telescoping) or even surface mounted D-Pull handle would be more than sufficient I think - also some SS wear strips around bottom perimeter wouldn't hurt.

I wouldn't want to lift them unaided too many times (building them is enough of a workout)

Quote:

BTW when is diyFEST? I counting on Dave & Chris' design & build skills to wow everyone!
9th Annual Vancouver Island diyFEST 2012

there's always lots of "wow" factor from a wider range of crazies than just those planet10 guys
Old 25th April 2012, 05:15 PM   #102
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
I was thinking something like these would make for easier moving about
Nice, thanks for the link, but not heavy duty enough for me : Penn-Elcom W2100 4" Recessed Caster w/Blue Wheel 330 lb. 262-278

GM
Old 25th April 2012, 05:29 PM   #103
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
Nice, thanks for the link, but not heavy duty enough for me : Penn-Elcom W2100 4" Recessed Caster w/Blue Wheel 330 lb. 262-278

GM

thanks, the others were just the first link I found for the type I had in mind- the blue synthetic rubber is certainly more durable for heavy use

I'm guessing that these will end up weighing less than 100lbs when completed, but of course it's impact that causes real problems, and casters, handles and latches can't over-built.
Old 25th April 2012, 07:31 PM   #104
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Correct and why I chose 1000 lb rated castors for my heavy cabs since concrete steps has to be traversed. Ditto for grab handles: a pair of one piece real steel industrial drawer/cabinet handles mounted with machine screws through a full width inside 2x4 brace and secured with fender washers and nylok nuts.

Unfortunately, increasing decrepitude now only allows me to move them around on flat ground and must use an inexpensive large wheel hand truck/old motorcycle tie-downs since I can't justify the cost of a proper large appliance transporter. The 300 lb casters would be sufficient now though.

GM
Old 1st May 2012, 11:14 PM   #105
sippy is offline sippy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Dave,
Is there any chance of becoming a beta tester of this design? I would build as intended, on time-scale of 6weeks ish.
If not as a tester, I wouldn't mind paying a nominal fee.

sippy
Old 1st May 2012, 11:41 PM   #106
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

After our build there are some practical revisions that need doing,,, email me.

dave
Old 1st May 2012, 11:45 PM   #107
sippy is offline sippy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks Dave - hows your build doing btw?

And hows yours doing / sounding JRKO?
Old 2nd May 2012, 12:55 AM   #108
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I'm going to go listen to it at the shop tomorrow, which i assume means Chris has them running (just the stock drivers so far). We'll do a dustcapectomy tomorrow & add the phase plugs.

dave
Old 2nd May 2012, 03:02 AM   #109
diyAudio Member

I hope you enjoy them Dave. Try not to get caught up in the reverberant sound they produce stock. They won't sound like the silky smooth Fostex. But they will sound big and produce a vibrant sound that smooths considerably when cutting out the dustcap. Adding phase plugs only smooths things further. Wish i could hear them in these new cabinets. I happen to love the 12lta... Size matters!

Hide this!Advertise here!