Repairing a voice coil

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been a happy owner of a pair of Goodmans Axiette 101 speaker drivers. Until couple days ago I noticed a bad imbalance in the sound. I measured the voice coil resistances. The left speaker still had the correct resistance of little less than 3 ohm, but the resistance of the right speaker had increased to over 300 ohm.

It seems that the voice coil has been damaged. Probably it has received too much current. I know one situation, not very long time ago, when that may have happened.

What can I do now? I really like these speakers and I'd like to try to repair the damaged one. I don't know how to disassemble the speaker, although I think it should be possible. If I manage to disassemble and wind a new voice coil, how can I put the cone back and center it?

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Your biggest task is going to be dismantling the speaker without damaging any of the components like the surround and spider in the process. You'll also need to take off the dustcap. If you get that far without problems, rewinding the VC and alignment and reassembly will be relatively straightforward.

I sent an email message to the designer who is still in the business. I just hope that he would answer. I am not sure if I dare to try repairing the driver without some very good help.

I think that winding thin wire is not the hard part because I have some experience doing that. But most other phases in the process are new to me.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Before you dismantle the Axiette,test the flexible wires (pigtail leads) from the chassis terminals to the voice coil connections on to the cone assembly.If these are still intact then the removal of the diaphragm has to be done with great care,as the thin cone is fragile and easily creased.The corrugated paper outer surround will be your biggest headache and the only procedure that I would advise is to use acetone as a solvent and with many repeated applications as needed to ease it from the frame.

TVRGeek,
Tell that to your wife or girlfriend the next time they are removing their nail polish, most of that is acetone. Not one of the real bad solvents really but highly flammable to say the least. I don't think that you will be able to just wind a voicecoil by yourself even if you can take the complete cone assembly out without damage. The adhesives need to be very high temperature rated or you will have a speaker working for a few minutes after reassembly and then poof you will be right back to where you started. Also the wire if it does melt from over powering will usually damage the former, it will be burnt also. I would just get a recone kit for it if it is available and start from new. Most coil wires uses a special coating that is baked after assembly and this baking is what adheres the coil to the former. If you could you could possibly purchase just the voicecoil and former but I would doubt that it would be available like that

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.